Author Topic: The caretaker of the ice-bear Knut died today at the age of 44  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
Re: The caretaker of the ice-bear Knut died today at the age of 44
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »
What was the cause of his death ?

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 05:01:59 PM »
What was the cause of his death ?

They said he was since a long time ill. I think it was cancer.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 06:47:54 PM »
Oh that's so sad.  I used to love watching videos of Thomas Doerflein feeding with and playing with little Knut.  He was such a loving father to that little bear.  Here's a good video to remember him by:

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 06:51:08 PM »
Oh that's so sad.  I used to love watching videos of Thomas Doerflein feeding with and playing with little Knut.  He was such a loving father to that little bear.  Here's a good video to remember him by:

I have never thought he could die so early. And I never saw that he was so ill. I was very -negatively - surprised .  :'(

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 07:00:02 PM »
Here is the most actual article about this issue:

Thomas Dörflein Found Dead

When Knut the polar bear became a world-wide celebrity, the media spotlight also fell on Thomas Dörflein the keeper who reared him. Now that story has ended tragically. Police on Monday confirmed that the 44-year-old had been found dead in his apartment.

The man who reared Knut the polar bear has died. Berlin police confirmed on Monday that Thomas Dörflein had been found dead in his apartment. The man who acted as the tiny bear's surrogate parent when he was rejected by his own mother became something of a star in his own right as the world was gripped by Knut-mania last year.

A police spokeswoman said that there is no evidence of any foul play and gave no further details, apart from stating that the investigation was ongoing. The 44-year-old was found in an apartment in the Berlin district of Wilmersdorf. According to the German news agency DPA, Dörflein had been seriously ill for some time.

Dörflein took over the care of Knut, who was born on Dec. 6, 2006, after the tiny cub's mother Tosca had rejected him. Dörflein spent several weeks with the baby bear at the zoo and even spent Christmas in the cage with Knut.

In March of 2007 he accompanied Knut on his first public appearance at Berlin Zoo, when he was photographed by the world's media. The ensuing global interest made both the polar bear and his keeper media stars. The two had a special rapport, with Knut following his keeper around like a puppy. But then as the bear grew he became too dangerous to frolick with his adored minder, and last November the zoo decided it was best if all contact was cut off.

Last October the bearded, long-haired zookeeper was awarded Berlin's Medal of Merit in honor of his round-the-clock care of Knut.

Dörflein is survived by his partner, two grown-up children and a six-year-old son.

smd -- with wire reports

Source: http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/0,1518,579812,00.html

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 08:36:45 AM »
It was not cancer, but a problem with his heart.