Author Topic: My dad's problem with "Jews against Obama"  (Read 1176 times)

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
My dad's problem with "Jews against Obama"
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:02:54 PM »
My brother, my dad, and I love to discuss politics, and we are very like minded, though I'm the most religious and the most right wing of the three of us.  When I told my dad about JTF, and that our organization is also called "Jews Against Obama", he became concerned.

He said, "What if Obama wins?  Then your organization will become his first target.  You guys could get persecuted."  He also objected to the reference of Jews being against Obama, because whether Obama wins or loses, it will be the Jews who are seen as the enemy of his cause.

His fears are not irrational.

I told him though, that we must never be afraid to speak the truth and to stand up for our principles.  Above all else, I told him that we Jews must fight for Jewish interests and for the interests of righteous Gentiles.  I told him that we may not succeed and that we may be persecuted, but that we have to put our faith in G-d and do that which is right. 

He is still afraid for all Jews.  I can't tell him that he is wrong to be afraid, but I would like to convince him to channel his energy into something positive.  I told him he should visit our website for starters, and I have watched several videos of Rabbi Kahane with him to inspire him.  I think he believes that our position is the correct one, but he wouldn't like to see us persecuted.

Do you have any advice about what I should tell him?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: My dad's problem with "Jews against Obama"
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:05:05 PM »
Maybe you should make that into an Ask JTF question, naming your father's concerns and asking how Chaim would answer them.

I would think that it would be good in case Obama does win to show that at least some Jews weren't going along with Obama's evil agenda, because some will try to blame Jewish people for Obama's bad things.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:06:26 PM »
You know my father is a life long JDL member and a supporter of Rav Kahane since the begining but he voted for Obama. I don't get it I really don't???
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:07:33 PM »
Maybe you should make that into an Ask JTF question, naming your father's concerns and asking how Chaim would answer them.

I would think that it would be good in case Obama does win to show that at least some Jews weren't going along with Obama's evil agenda, because some will try to blame Jewish people for Obama's bad things.

That's a good idea Rubystars.  I already posted a question for November 2, but I'll copy this thread and ask Chaim about it on the 9th, G-d willing.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:13:11 PM »
My brother, my dad, and I love to discuss politics, and we are very like minded, though I'm the most religious and the most right wing of the three of us.  When I told my dad about JTF, and that our organization is also called "Jews Against Obama", he became concerned.

He said, "What if Obama wins?  Then your organization will become his first target.  You guys could get persecuted."  He also objected to the reference of Jews being against Obama, because whether Obama wins or loses, it will be the Jews who are seen as the enemy of his cause.

I told him though, that we must never be afraid to speak the truth and to stand up for our principles.  Above all else, I told him that we Jews must fight for Jewish interests and for the interests of righteous Gentiles.  I told him that we may not succeed and that we may be persecuted, but that we have to put our faith in G-d and do that which is right. 

He is still afraid for all Jews.  I can't tell him that he is wrong to be afraid, but I would like to convince him to channel his energy into something positive.  I told him he should visit our website for starters, and I have watched several videos of Rabbi Kahane with him to inspire him.  I think he believes that our position is the correct one, but he wouldn't like to see us persecuted.

obama will not take down jtf.org....this isn't bolshevik israel
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:14:26 PM »
He will try and destroy talk radio. That is a givin
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »

That's true.  A sad commentary on Israel.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 07:33:14 PM »

That's true.  A sad commentary on Israel.

I think Dr Dan's answer is what you can tell your dad..

And rather than give an analysis of why I think he won't.. The best thing is that you tell your dad he won't.. for reason given by Dan. And then with time he sees himself and stops worrying.  Even in a worst case scenario, JTF will be affected, a bit like when youtube pulled videos down, but you won't be persecuted personally.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 07:36:59 PM »
Also, Zachor, you can tell your father that Jews have been scapegoated and persecuted no matter what. 

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:26:57 PM »
Also, Zachor, you can tell your father that Jews have been scapegoated and persecuted no matter what. 

That's very true and very important.  Jews would do well to learn this lesson.  If the Jewish leaders in America had worried about what was right instead of what was popular, then they would have done something while their brothers and sisters in Europe were being murdered.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 08:49:27 PM »
Also, Zachor, my parents feel the same way as your father does. 

On the other hand, we work hard and pay taxes, so we should have a say in how this country is run. 

Offline JewishAmericanPatriot

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 10:22:33 PM »
I can't understand Jews who (used to) think right, voting for the Obamanation. I got a taste of that earlier tonight.

There is this woman I used to know who was a convert to Torah Judaism many years ago (about 25 years or more ago). I had not heard from her in many years (early 1980s), and then today I saw a letter by her in the local paper, supporting Obama! She was never political before AFAIK, but she was a Chasidic Jew.

I looked her up in the phone book and called. She sounded timid and wary, even though she did remember me. She rushed me off the phone (not sure why). Sounds like she left Torah Judaism and got into Obama?

She used to be online a lot years ago, debating with missionaries. I wonder what happened to her to have her change like this? I did a Google of her under her full name and found a blog by her at the Obama site!
JOIN THE ANTI-OBAMA RESISTANCE!

America's Last Stand: http://americaslaststand.angelfire.com

SAVAGE INGRATITUDE: http://www.savageingratitude.com

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 12:18:56 AM »
Bottom line, we, as Jews, have to stop feeling and acting like victims...When someone wants to bite us, we bite them first and harder..
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline jaime

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 01:45:22 AM »
"I told him though, that we must never be afraid to speak the truth and to stand up for our principles.  Above all else, I told him that we Jews must fight for Jewish interests and for the interests of righteous Gentiles.  I told him that we may not succeed and that we may be persecuted, but that we have to put our faith in G-d and do that which is right."

Zach, you have the right perspective.  We have got to pull this group together and get rid of the fear.  It is foolish to go forging ahead w/out thinking about consequences, but to be paralyzed by fear, that is not what G-d wants for us.  It's just not right.  If you don't have a complete plan, you can have a vision, and as you proceed, things fall into place perfectly. 

Let go of the fear and proceed w/your dreams and visions for the kind of life you want for yourself and others, with confidence and fearlessness. :usa+israel:

My prayers are with you all.

Offline Sparky

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 02:43:39 AM »

I'd tell him he's absolutely right to be fearful for Jews, but it's far more important to stand up to those who threaten the Jews.  Or something like that.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 02:47:43 AM »
Zachor,

Tell your dad you love him no matter what happens... I talk to Dad at least once a week. He's getting pretty old and I think it is important for him to know that he is loved. I think your Dad probably would appreciate it also. Though I think you said you talk to him a lot.

I used to not agree with my dad politically. I am so happy that now I am back on the right side and can enjoy my dad's political insight.

muman613

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14