Author Topic: Jews and Alzheimer's  (Read 2607 times)

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
Jews and Alzheimer's
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:29:03 PM »
 work for an Adult day care program, that provides day care services to people suffering from Alzheimer's Disease and other types of dementia. This allows people to remain in their homes with families and loved ones as opposed to being put into a Nursing home etc. Some of the people we serve are observant Jews who's family will send in a lunch meal for them so that they will have a kosher meal. Because of their mental decline, at times A Jewish participant will become upset if they see others eating a food item that they enjoy from the lunch provided by the program.  Although none of the staff would never advocate violating Jewish Dietary law, are their any provisions in Jewish law that might allow for the easing of suffering in this type of situation by allowing some relaxation of the laws of kasruit? Although this might seem to be a minor issue, both myself and the righteous gentles with whom I work have seen people become very upset over this due to their struggle with  the effects of Alzheimer's. Also, at times their is some resistance to personal care needs being provided by the opposite gender.

I have asked My Rabbi and others about this and gotten conflicting responses. Does anyone know of any sources that would be of use with these issues.

Thank you
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Re: Jews and Alzheimer's
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:22 PM »
Is there any way to keep them from seeing other people eating? I can't answer the religious questions of course but I'm looking at it more from a humanitarian perspective. Maybe they could be around the others when there won't be these triggers. I'm assuming that might not be feasible though since you're posting this message about it.

Also if there's something they particularly like maybe their families could know if it's being served beforehand so they can give their family member a kosher version of it to be served at the same time?

Offline Daleksfearme

• Pro JTFer
  • What is, What was, What could be. thats what I see
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:55:19 PM »
Hi

Actually, that's not a bad idea, to give the families a copy of the monthly menu so that they can be more proactive regarding their loved ones care. Sometimes it is good to have someone look at a problem from a different perspective.

Thank you.
"You must not have looked in the new dictionary for the word Genocide, Because Right next to it is a picture of me with a capton that reads...over my dead body!"

The Doctor

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »
You're welcome. I hope it helps! I think older people should be treated with as much love and respect as possible.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:38:25 AM »
if they watch tv they could be distracted while eating..

Or you could give them a jewish book to read, or even a book on kashrut. To distract them (while they eat) and remind them that they are jewish and should keep kosher.

You could give thme their food at a different time, they may have forgotton what the others were eating. (they may not like that delay though).

In Britain there are jewish care homes. No doubt in America too. Maybe they are alot more expensive though.