Poll

Which one is a good second language to learn?

Chinese
5 (22.7%)
Arabic
3 (13.6%)
Russian
2 (9.1%)
Hebrew
12 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Which is a good second language to learn?  (Read 2357 times)

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
Which is a good second language to learn?
« on: January 19, 2009, 12:13:52 AM »
I wanted to learn a third language.( I already know Italian and some Spanish.) I narrowed it down to either Arabic, Chinese or Russian, sine they have the most people speaking them I believe (also Indian I suppose). I think there are the most benefits to learning one of these three. Any one have any thoughts? Are there any benefits to learning Arabic? I'm in the finance/accounting field.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
Re: Which is a good second language to learn?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 12:30:25 AM »
Did you know that speaking from a neuro-science perspective, it is easier to learn 7 languages than it is to learn 2 or 3?

Since you already have a grounding in Italian and Spanish, why not learn the other two romance languages, French and Romanian?  If you want to learn another language for business reasons, I recommend Japanese.  Between Russian, Chinese, and Arabic, I would probably recommend Chinese (Mandarin not Cantonese).

I don't know any languages really, but my mother taught me from very young to learn etymology (the study of the origin of words).  So though I don't speak Italian (for instance) I can look at an Italian text and more or less infer the meaning.

If you're interested in etymology, I would recommend Latin.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 12:42:18 AM »
Did you know that speaking from a neuro-science perspective, it is easier to learn 7 languages than it is to learn 2 or 3?

Since you already have a grounding in Italian and Spanish, why not learn the other two romance languages, French and Romanian?  If you want to learn another language for business reasons, I recommend Japanese.  Between Russian, Chinese, and Arabic, I would probably recommend Chinese (Mandarin not Cantonese).

I don't know any languages really, but my mother taught me from very young to learn etymology (the study of the origin of words).  So though I don't speak Italian (for instance) I can look at an Italian text and more or less infer the meaning.

I think most of the romance languages are useless, except for Spanish right now. That's interesting about the neuro-science perspective. I wonder why that is..But Zachor, you're right Chinese would be useful. But is there any value to learning Arabic? They say there are 3 million arabic speakers. It's good to know what your enemies are up to. Also, it's a long shot, but maybe we can convince them on how horrible and homocidal islam is if we speak their language.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:54:11 AM by ItalianZionist »

Offline Mishmaat

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate JTFer
  • !עם ישראל חי
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 12:52:54 AM »
Wishful thinking. The vast majority of Muslims will never leave that horrid religion.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:55:30 AM »
Learn the African clicking language

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 02:00:49 AM »
I would go for either Arabic or Chinese. Middle East/Oriental language speakers are pretty scarce in the West.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:03:56 AM »
Also, I believe Arabic would be a better choice in a life threatening situation.. FBI/CIA need Arabic and Persian speakers badly.

Chinese would be better for business matters.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 02:11:59 AM »
Learn the African clicking language

Good one Wolf! I did laugh hard on that  one

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »

I think most of the romance languages are useless, except for Spanish right now. That's interesting about the neuro-science perspective. I wonder why that is..But Zachor, you're right Chinese would be useful. But is there any value to learning Arabic? They say there are 3 million arabic speakers. It's good to know what your enemies are up to. Also, it's a long shot, but maybe we can convince them on how horrible and homocidal islam is if we speak their language.

I'm not sure why you think the romance languages are useless.  The reason that it is easier to learn 7 languages rather than 2 or 3, has to do with something called schema theory.  This is a fairly complex subject, so let me simplify it, (otherwise I will be typing all night!)  I won't talk about what actually happens in the brain, with neural networks and so-on, though I would be happy to discuss it if you wish.  Basically, it comes down to this:

Nothing that we learn is a self contained, isolated subject.  If it were, if we were dealing with something completely foreign (and I mean completely), we would only ever understand it in an abstract sense.  Now this is not actually a bad thing, by the way.  When scientists discuss things such as black holes or branes or string theory even, they do not have the mental capacity to truly "visualize" these things.  So their language of discussion is mathematics, which is an entirely abstract system.

When we learn anything as children, we relate them to things we already know.  If you are 7 years old, and you know how to sing a song, you can understand dancing as moving to a song, so you relate the two.  When you relate enough topics together, they form what are called schematic networks, that is a relationship of neurological processes that tend to work together.

The theory about 7 languages is that if you learn 7 languages all at once, you will develop a very sophisticated system of schematic networks, and this affects other schematic networks also.  Furthermore, other neurological processes such as memory and emotion will also be hightened.  Thus you will have a more well rounded comprehension of these languages that are not at all abstract.

I hope this helps.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2009, 06:15:44 AM »

Yes this is true. I learned many years latin in school and I can tell you the content of any Spanish, Portugise, French or Italian text.

But I am not able to speak latin. In the school we learned only to translate and understand texts from latin to German. We did it never in the other direction. It is very strange if you understand everything but can't speak.  :o
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
Arabic would be useful or even French, alot of Arabs speak French depending on the region. It will be useful to know what our enemies are saying.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2009, 01:47:45 PM »
Stay away from languages in other language families.  TRUST ME.  you will NEVER be able to learn Chinese... EVER.... unless you are still in your teens....

I agree... learn another romantic or Germanic language.   It will be MUCH more satisfying.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2009, 01:55:46 PM »
Stay away from languages in other language families.  TRUST ME.  you will NEVER be able to learn Chinese... EVER.... unless you are still in your teens....

I agree... learn another romantic or Germanic language.   It will be MUCH more satisfying.

I think it depends.

If you have lots of contacts with Chinise speaking people you will succeed - if not you are right. At least it will be a very tough work.

You need to learn in every language a certain ammount of words in order to begin with conversation. This is the hardest part. Then it is easy.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »

I'm in my 20's and learning Hebrew.. I don't see why he can't learn Arabic. The main problem is, with any language, you have to be around the people that speak it. He would have to speak with Arabs everyday to really pick it up properly.

But I would agree with Chinese, it would be way too time consuming.. you would have to devote much of your time being that it is a complete extreme from English. Arabic is also extreme, but it's much easier in comparison with speaking, reading and writing Chinese.

So.. trying to sift your possibilities, you already know one romance language, so you should either go with a Germanic or Semitic language. German would be great for business, Arabic also has uses for national security.

Therefore, imho, German or Arabic would be your best bet.  

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2009, 02:04:06 PM »
I added Hebrew as an option. :)
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »
I added Hebrew as an option. :)

Very good. It is my choice.  :)

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »
I also voted Hebrew.

1. It is the language of Torah.
2. While being very rich, it is very laconic and accurate.
3. It is very flexible and adaptable to the modern reality. Modern words like "computer" sound in Hebrew as if they existed for centuries.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2009, 02:56:03 PM »
I voted for Hebrew

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2009, 03:45:12 PM »
I like Hebrew as well, BUT - will it help in everyday life? Very few people in the world speak Hebrew as an everyday language. In terms of business, a romance or Germanic language, or Arabic would be the best bet.

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
Is Hebrew similar to Arabic? If I learn one, would it be easy to learn the other?

Offline nopeaceforland

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
I'd say Hebrew or Russian are very good languages, but Arabic might be good as you'll know what these filthy Arab terrorists say before Judgment Day comes upon them!

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2009, 11:04:47 PM »
Is Hebrew similar to Arabic? If I learn one, would it be easy to learn the other?

Yes, Arabic and Hebrew both stem from Aramaic. I don't know if it would be as similar as Italian to Spanish.. maybe more like Italian to French.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2009, 11:37:53 PM »

I'm in my 20's and learning Hebrew.. I don't see why he can't learn Arabic. The main problem is, with any language, you have to be around the people that speak it. He would have to speak with Arabs everyday to really pick it up properly.

But I would agree with Chinese, it would be way too time consuming.. you would have to devote much of your time being that it is a complete extreme from English. Arabic is also extreme, but it's much easier in comparison with speaking, reading and writing Chinese.

So.. trying to sift your possibilities, you already know one romance language, so you should either go with a Germanic or Semitic language. German would be great for business, Arabic also has uses for national security.

I say this, because I know SO many Americans in their late 20's who have tried to learn chinese, and not 1 could ever learn to fluently speak it.  However, I know many who have been able to successfully learn and use  Indo-Euro languages.

BTW... japanese is even harder.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 11:47:15 PM by briann »

Offline ItalianZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »

I say this, because I know SO many Americans in their late 20's who have tried to learn chinese, and not 1 could ever learn to fluently speak it.  However, I know many who have been able to successfully learn and use  Indo-Euro languages.

This is NOT the case with 

it's just a matter of practicing with chinese people I guess.

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 12:56:31 AM »

This is NOT the case with 

it's just a matter of practicing with chinese people I guess.

Listen, if you've got the will and the time to dedicate, you can do it as long as you stick with it.

Two questions - Why do you want to learn another language? Is it for work benefit or just interest?

And most importantly, which language do you have a passion for learning?