Have you ever read the Torah?

Of course, I read
6 (100%)
Yes, part of chapters
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Did you read the Torah?  (Read 3583 times)

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
Did you read the Torah?
« on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
Let's vote.  :) I read of course, and Im reading again to understand it more.
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Did you read the Torah?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 06:19:07 PM »
ProudZionist?

Dont you ever go to Shul for Shabbat? Every week we read a Parasha of Torah. It is part of the yearly cycle. This Shabbat we are reading the second Parasha of Shemot {Exodus}. Every New Year {Rosh Hashana} we finish the Torah and begin again at Beresheis.

I have read the Torah fully at least seven times {since my return to Judaism}.

http://www.torah.org/learning/yomtov/shavuos/vol6no04.html

On each Shabbos we read a Parasha, a portion, of the Torah. We start each yearly cycle on the Shabbos following the holiday of Simchas Torah, with the very first Parasha, that of Bereshis. However, come the holidays, there are special portions of the Torah read. These portions deviate from the yearly cycle. Instead, the subject of the portion read relates to the particular holiday in some fashion. Rav Moshe Chayim Luzzato, in his Derech Hashem (4:8) explains further the concept of reading the Torah.

He writes "the reason for (the reading of the Torah) is that the Torah consists of something that was given to us by G-d to read. It was furthermore designated so that His holy light should be transmitted to us through such reading . . .. On certain special days, it is also appropriate that special portions be read, relating to the concepts of those days. In this way, the special holy light of these days is strengthened through the power of the Torah, which is the strongest power that we have."

The Torah was given to us to read, to study, and to explore. So that we maximize our spiritual benefit from this reading, it was ordained that we read the Torah every week and on special days. On these special days, our spiritual benefit is increased: we receive not only the holiness that comes from the reading of the Torah, but also that from the holiday itself.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
I didn't get so too much religious upbringing, but my grandfather, and mother does it more.
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:28:04 AM »
ProudZionist?

Dont you ever go to Shul for Shabbat? Every week we read a Parasha of Torah. It is part of the yearly cycle. This Shabbat we are reading the second Parasha of Shemot {Exodus}. Every New Year {Rosh Hashana} we finish the Torah and begin again at Beresheis.<snip>

a few mistakes there.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 12:57:56 AM »
ProudZionist?

Dont you ever go to Shul for Shabbat? Every week we read a Parasha of Torah. It is part of the yearly cycle. This Shabbat we are reading the second Parasha of Shemot {Exodus}. Every New Year {Rosh Hashana} we finish the Torah and begin again at Beresheis.<snip>

a few mistakes there.

It is not that we start Beresheis right after Rosh Hashanah, after Simchah Torah. I meant to say that we finish Torah around Rosh Hashanah. I am looking at the hebrew calendar from last year and it was about 3 weeks from Rosh Hashana till Shabbat Parasha Beresheit.

That is about the only 'mistake' in my posting. If there is another please inform me.

I should have mentioned that the name of this Shabbats parasha is Vaera.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:04:18 AM »
that was the main one.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:40 AM »
by Torah you mean the Written Law? Because you can't learn the Written without the Oral and vice versa.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 04:40:06 AM »
by Torah you mean the Written Law? Because you can't learn the Written without the Oral and vice versa.

One can read the written Torah without learning the Oral law. It is advisable for a Jew to learn the Oral Torah because it explains a lot of the ideas of the written Torah. It is well known that ideas such as tefillin and mezuza are not fully explained in the written Torah, only mentioned briefly. Torah is composed of more than just the Five Books {Chumash}. Torah includes all Jewish teaching which includes the entire canon of Jewish scripture.

Tanakh is the term used to describe the Torah, Naviim {Prophets} and Ketuvim {Writings}. Even though we call the Oral law Oral, much of it has been written and we call it the Mishna, the Gemmorah, and the Talmud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanakh

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
ProudZionist?

a few mistakes there.

It is not that we start Beresheis right after Rosh Hashanah, after Simchah Torah. I meant to say that we finish Torah around Rosh Hashanah. I am looking at the hebrew calendar from last year and it was about 3 weeks from Rosh Hashana till Shabbat Parasha Beresheit.

That is about the only 'mistake' in my posting. If there is another please inform me.

I should have mentioned that the name of this Shabbats parasha is Vaera.

Hi Muman, please take the advise you gave me and pay no attention to that person who has an obsession of pointing out other's mistakes.
This paticular person may have delusions of granduer about his/her intelligence. In order to validate their own delusion, this person must criticise others
and make comments that are uncalled for such as : " you lowered the level of intelligent discussion. "
While this only serves to nuture the already ( over inflated ego ) it backfires and only makes the ( supposedly highly intelligent being ) appear to be harsh and insecure.
Muman, you do some excellent posting and work here on the Forum, you are appreciated by all so don't let someone make you worried about a mistake.
We all make mistakes...except for ( those highly intelligent beings ) that never make them.

Shalom - Dox 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 03:53:44 PM »

<snip>

Hi Muman, please take the advise you gave me and pay no attention to that person who has an obsession of pointing out other's mistakes.
This paticular person may have delusions of granduer about his/her intelligence. In order to validate their own delusion, this person must criticise others
and make comments that are uncalled for such as : " you lowered the level of intelligent discussion. "
While this only serves to nuture the already ( over inflated ego ) it backfires and only makes the ( supposedly highly intelligent being ) appear to be harsh and insecure.
Muman, you do some excellent posting and work here on the Forum, you are appreciated by all so don't let someone make you worried about a mistake.
We all make mistakes...except for ( those highly intelligent beings ) that never make them.

Shalom - Dox                                    

Shalom Dox,

Thank you very much for the words of encouragement. In this case I understand q_q_s attempt to correct me. When I try to explain Judaism to others who have not been exposed to the beliefs I take a great responsibility in my hands. If I explain things wrongly then I may lead others to transgress and therefore their sin is on me. I try hard to be as accurate as I can and in the case that q_q just corrected me I admit I made a mistake.

I believe that everyone here has good intentions. I do not mind people who disagree with me and even correct me when I say something wrong. It is wrong to be rude and unkind to people who are searching for the truth. I believe that everyone can change for the better and I have observed people here at JTF alter their approaches to issues in a good way.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:21:09 AM »
It is important to be precise and correct with words especially when talking about Judaism.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:28:52 AM »

One can read the written Torah without learning the Oral law. It is advisable for a Jew to learn the Oral Torah because it explains a lot of the ideas of the written Torah. It is well known that ideas such as tefillin and mezuza are not fully explained in the written Torah, only mentioned briefly. Torah is composed of more than just the Five Books {Chumash}. Torah includes all Jewish teaching which includes the entire canon of Jewish scripture.

Tanakh is the term used to describe the Torah, Naviim {Prophets} and Ketuvim {Writings}. Even though we call the Oral law Oral, much of it has been written and we call it the Mishna, the Gemmorah, and the Talmud.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanakh

Are you sure man? Cause Torah Sheba'l Peh was given at Sinai also.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »

One can read the written Torah without learning the Oral law.

Well, technically one is physically able to "read" it, but it is practically impossible for a Jew to actually learn the Torah and follow it without the oral law and commentaries which explain our traditions. 

Even though we call the Oral law Oral, much of it has been written and we call it the Mishna, the Gemmorah, and the Talmud.

But it was Oral before the sages wrote it down at a later date.   For many generations it was passed down as an oral tradition in one form or another, constantly developing and evolving.  And it was originally given in some form at Sinai with the written Torah.   That was how we had a tradition of the proper way to do mitzvoth which are not explained entirely in detail in the written Torah.  At a later time, around the end of the Tannaic era, the sages feared people would forget it (due to exile and destruction of the Temple) and so they committed it to writing.   Originally it was actually forbidden to write down...    And over time more and more discussion developed and there was machloketh amongst the chachamim over certain rulings.   

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 08:40:22 AM »
Muman, you also made a massive mistake in the next post you wrote, where a key definition in one paragraph just doesn't fit into the other.

I suggest to you that it's preferable if you just copy and paste, it's not really fair if people end up writing more than you wrote just to unravel or fix what you wrote.