Author Topic: Opinion on Sasha Baron Cohen a.k.a Ali G/ Borat/Bruno  (Read 2125 times)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Opinion on Sasha Baron Cohen a.k.a Ali G/ Borat/Bruno
« on: January 26, 2009, 03:03:54 AM »
Anybody watch him? I think he's hilarious despite the whole anti-semitic/ racist shtick. He's apparently one of those Jews who doesn't answer the phone on Shabbos and doesn't eat non-kosher meat. I don't believe he is truly anti-semitic or racist, but just a great actor who would do a lot for money (not as bad as Tom Green though).

Offline Xoce

• Master JTFer
Re: Opinion on Sasha Baron Cohen a.k.a Ali G/ Borat/Bruno
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 03:29:14 AM »
When he does the "anti-semitic/ racist shtick" he seems to be making fun of the anti-semites and racists.  That's how I take it.  And he is funny, and he is smart.

However, in general, I don't tolerate hollywood, and that includes him.

He would have earned my respect if he, rather than standing in the middle of the rodeo grounds while singing his "kazakh anthem" or whatever it was in his movie "borat,"  stood in the middle of a muzzlim camel beauty contest and started singing the HaTikvah (Israel's anthem)

wonder what would have happened then?
aka Someone Else

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:30:28 AM »
hahahaha funny thought.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 05:28:43 AM »
I think he's brilliant and original.  He's hysterically funny.  I LMAO at Borat.  I just hope that, politically, he's one of us.

Offline Sentinel For Truth

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »
Sacha Cohen is a typical self-hating Jew who does everything he can to denigrate any social situation with embarrassingly ugly behavior.  He fuels antisemitism with songs like "Throw the Jew Down the Well" (obviously done in jest) and makes a lot of money doing so.  He makes my skin crawl.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »
I think his intention is to make fun of anti-Semites. I don't necessarily think he's a righteous person though, just because I don't trust Hollywood people.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 08:32:03 AM »
Well I know what my ASK JTF question is this week! LOL

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 10:22:42 AM »

He's very funny... but like all entertainers... he WONT make fun of Muslims or Lliberals.  He knows they are untouchable.  For example.... he brutally makes fun of Khazakstani anti-semitism. but REFUSES to acknowledge that they are Muslim...  Borat says he is the religion of the Eagle... whatever that means.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
Anybody watch him? I think he's hilarious despite the whole anti-semitic/ racist shtick. He's apparently one of those Jews who doesn't answer the phone on Shabbos and doesn't eat non-kosher meat. I don't believe he is truly anti-semitic or racist, but just a great actor who would do a lot for money (not as bad as Tom Green though).

He has homosexual inclinations that just aren't relevant to his characters..

Ali G showed it.. And a much earlier sketch called Shvitzin showed it.

That was perhaps his first sketch on TV - british TV of course - it was on around 10 years ago. Before he did the 11 O'Clock show.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
I don't think people should spend their time watching movies like Borat.  I saw it and regretted it.  Parts of it were obscene, the rest was mundane.  We should occupy ourselves with things that will elevate us.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 11:17:13 AM »
Making fun of Islam isn't that funny because all the things you can say about them are true, and a lot of them are killers, whereas Jewish stereotypes are so outrageously false it's just incredibly funny. Plus there are only like 13 million Jews in the world and most of them would be impartial to Borat's shtick, not to mention those of us that love it, as opposed to all billion muslims taking offense and suing and probably making more attacks and bombings in retaliation. We Jews can take humor and stuff like that (for the most part), but muslims cannot. Larry David makes fun of Christianity a lot though in Curb Your Enthusiasm which is one of my favorite shows.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 12:22:26 PM »
I don't like his kind of humor. Sometimes it is simply icky and obscene.  :o
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 01:10:40 PM »
he's funny sometimes...but that's about it
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »

and i know how chaim will answer
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 01:15:18 PM »
Besides, Chaim is funnier when he makes fun of anti-semites...

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 05:27:13 PM »
I can take him or live him.  His fiancee is beautiful, so he's doing something right.

Offline q_q_

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2009, 01:49:38 AM »
I can take him or live him.  His fiancee is beautiful, so he's doing something right.

He married out (or maybe didn't marry her)

He became a popular celebrity, lots of money, and he looks normal, so it wasn't hard to get a very attractive girl.

She's a well known australian girl that was in the mens magazines years ago, maybe that's how he knew of her.

He is known to have attended an orthodox synagogue on yom kippur, but I don't know if he still would.. given how things have gone for him..(once a year to synagogue is quite minimal)
There was talk that she'd convert to judaism, but maybe she gave up 'cos it's hard.  It may be that he wouldn't do reform.