Author Topic: Israel unvales a new kamikaze drone  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Israel unvales a new kamikaze drone
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
http://www.defense-update.com/products/h/harop.html

This is an upgrade to the already know harpy suicide drone.

Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) is developing a loitering killer drone that has the capability to hunt illusive ground targets, such as anti-aircraft systems and mobile or concealed ballistic missile launchers. This expendable unmanned aerial vehicles, known as Harop, can be launched over a suspected area without specifically acquiring a specific target. Designed to reach targets at distances over 1,000km away, the UAV loiter over a suspected area for hours, spot target as they are exposed before activation and attack them immediately. IAI is already negotiating potential export sales of the weapon with India and Turkey. The company exposed the system for the first time in India, before the Aero-India 2009 airshow.

India and Turkey are mentioned as likely customers.

Now Russia is interested in buying Israeli UAVs http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081113/118299915.html It would be stupid to sell them the Harop.

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
Re: Israel unvales a new kamikaze drone
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 11:25:50 AM »
I'd understand India but Russia is selling nuclear technology to Iran and Turkey is Muslim
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:29 PM »
I  think it is unlikely that Israel would sell this type to Russia although you never can be sure. BTW The harpy was sold to China 'secretly', and at some point America has created a mock diplomatic crisis  over this issue.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:55:07 PM »

Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI) is developing a loitering killer drone that has the capability to hunt illusive ground targets, such as anti-aircraft systems and mobile or concealed ballistic missile launchers. This expendable unmanned aerial vehicles, known as Harop, can be launched over a suspected area without specifically acquiring a specific target. Designed to reach targets at distances over 1,000km away, the UAV loiter over a suspected area for hours, spot target as they are exposed before activation and attack them immediately. IAI is already negotiating potential export sales of the weapon with India and Turkey. The company exposed the system for the first time in India, before the Aero-India 2009 airshow.

Now Russia is interested in buying Israeli UAVs http://en.rian.ru/russia/20081113/118299915.html It would be stupid to sell them the Harop.

Is that a weapon designed to look like a jet? I am not sure what a drone is. Thanks.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 06:53:42 AM »

Is that a weapon designed to look like a jet? I am not sure what a drone is. Thanks.
A drone is an unmanned, remote controlled vehicle. I am not sure what is the distinction between a drone and a UAV, I think that a drone is more of a single-use type of platform while UAV is multi-use.

This weapon is a UAV that loiters over a designated area until a target of opportunity is detected, and then it kamikazes on the target. It is propelled by a small rotary engine, not a jet.   

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM »
OMG! Sell it to the US, India or Japan but don't sell it to Russia or Turkey? This is equal to committing suicide!  :o

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »
I'd understand India but Russia is selling nuclear technology to Iran and Turkey is Muslim

People do strange things for interests.
Russia isn't even a big friend of Iran, just temporal interests, no surprise if in just few years they start fighting each other. Iran understands that Russia is a potential threat, they both are playing some stupid cards, if you get my point.

As for Turkey, they openly speak against Israel and still buy their weapon, they are a special story of suckers.

Offline Yonah

• Full JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 01:48:30 PM »
They probably produce a lesser version for export.
Obama must use a magic 8-ball, because if he were flipping a coin he'd be right about half of the time.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 01:51:39 PM »
They probably produce a lesser version for export.

Yonah,

You might very well be right.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 10:42:40 PM »
Bullseye!   I hope Israel has lots of these drones and stealth bombers.   The main objective is to be ready for any surprise attacks by Hamas or Hezbollah.  A few minutes heads up could mean lives saved!