Orthodox Jew
Reformed Jew
Conservative Jew
Orthodox Christian
Catholic
Protestant
Hindu
Other

Author Topic: Religion (Poll)  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Vito

• Master JTFer
Re: Religion (Poll)
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 02:27:59 AM »
I was raised Catholic but I am a non-denominational Christian, so I checked other

Offline SW

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 05:47:29 AM »
I am Catholic

But what do you mean with "Other"?

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 06:48:31 AM »
Funny how there's no "muslim" option.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline RON_PATEL

• Junior JTFer
  • Shalom! Long Live Israel!
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:41 AM »
Many JTFers, myself included, practise more than one faith without any contradiction. Take me for example. My grandfather was orthodox Jew from Baghdad before he moved to Persia and then Bombay. He met and married my grandmother from India who was Hindu. My mothers family feld Persia for India and still belong to the rare Zoroastrian faith (the largest community of which is still active in Bombay) Living in secular India I practise all three faiths, Judaism, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism. Every man, woman and child is a product of his environment and religion is just one aspect of faith. Spirituality is much deeper and more important that ritual practices. Nationalism is the main ideology of our times and and China and India are at the forefront of this movement along with the good old US of A.

Shalom
RON
Kahane said 'The reality of the situation is clear. The Jews and Arabs of the Land of Israel ultimately cannot coexist in a Jewish-Zionist state. A Time bomb in the Holy Land ticks away relentlessly'.

We must remove the cancer before it spreads and kills us!!!

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Many JTFers, myself included, practise more than one faith without any contradiction. Take me for example. My grandfather was orthodox Jew from Baghdad before he moved to Persia and then Bombay. He met and married my grandmother from India who was Hindu. My mothers family feld Persia for India and still belong to the rare Zoroastrian faith (the largest community of which is still active in Bombay) Living in secular India I practise all three faiths, Judaism, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism. Every man, woman and child is a product of his environment and religion is just one aspect of faith. Spirituality is much deeper and more important that ritual practices. Nationalism is the main ideology of our times and and China and India are at the forefront of this movement along with the good old US of A.

Shalom
RON
Shalom Ron, What do you mean by practicing the 3 religions ?
According to Judaism, You, as a gentile,  are not expected to observe the 7 laws of Noach.  It might be possible to practice some other religion and still observe the 7 noachide laws. However surely it is impossible to practice Judaism together with another religion.

Offline RON_PATEL

• Junior JTFer
  • Shalom! Long Live Israel!
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 10:46:10 AM »
Shalom Zelhar:

You are right in that its not mandatory to observe the seven laws of Noahide but most gentiles in my country follow these anyways knowingly or unknowingly (muslims excpeted). Its just the way we are brought up...more like a tradition, not religion. Also you do realize that being Jewish does not only mean rituals and being part of a large tribe or being born to a Jewish mom. These are very important but it is more important to FEEL Jewish before you can BE Jewish. It means being identified as part of a group that has been persecuted and killed throughout history for being who they are. I have met many self-hating Jews in my life who even land up hating other Jews. I do not consider them Jewish even though the establishment here is forced to do so.To accept a Jewish identity therefore is to embrace much more than the seven laws!

Shalom and God bless
RON
Kahane said 'The reality of the situation is clear. The Jews and Arabs of the Land of Israel ultimately cannot coexist in a Jewish-Zionist state. A Time bomb in the Holy Land ticks away relentlessly'.

We must remove the cancer before it spreads and kills us!!!

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »
Well, I used to go to a Synogogue that was part of the conserved movement..and I'm certianly not an Orthodox Jew...so at best, I'm a sefardic traditional Jew...which isn't a choice up there...Sefardic should be  a choice..and maybe Jew of an unaffiliated movement.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 12:28:43 PM »
I am Baal Teshuva who came back to Orthodox observance about seven years ago. I think that Orthodox is the truest form of Jewish observance and don't really understand why the other categories even exist {other than the yetzer hara}.

WHat makes the most sense to me is the following for JEws:

Sefardic
Orthodox
Traditional non-orthodox
Secular
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 12:33:54 PM »
I am Baal Teshuva who came back to Orthodox observance about seven years ago. I think that Orthodox is the truest form of Jewish observance and don't really understand why the other categories even exist {other than the yetzer hara}.

Sefardic
Orthodox
Traditional non-orthodox
Secular

The Torah was given to ALL Jews at Mount Sinai. When Judaism was created there was not multiple different categories of Jews. Everyone has to obey the commandments, or else you are not a Jew. If you were a Jew and you disobeyed the commands you were liable for punishment. Reform was only created about seventy years ago and conservative after that. These 'categories' of Judaism were only invented in the last century. Before this every Jew was a Torah Jew which is what Hashem expects from us. The reform movement hurt the Jewish people very much and some even blame the holocausts occurrence on the fact that Germany was the place the reform movement started.

I dont think Sefardic is different from Orthodox. I daven in an Orthodox shul where both Ashkenaz and Sefardic nusach are observed. There is not very much difference between the two, only the minhags {customs} are slightly different.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »

Sefardic
Orthodox
Traditional non-orthodox
Secular

The Torah was given to ALL Jews at Mount Sinai. When Judaism was created there was not multiple different categories of Jews. Everyone has to obey the commandments, or else you are not a Jew. If you were a Jew and you disobeyed the commands you were liable for punishment. Reform was only created about seventy years ago and conservative after that. These 'categories' of Judaism were only invented in the last century. Before this every Jew was a Torah Jew which is what Hashem expects from us. The reform movement hurt the Jewish people very much and some even blame the holocausts occurrence on the fact that Germany was the place the reform movement started.

I dont think Sefardic is different from Orthodox. I daven in an Orthodox shul where both Ashkenaz and Sefardic nusach are observed. There is not very much difference between the two, only the minhags {customs} are slightly different.

I think you are technically correct...a Jew is a Jew...and the ideal form of Judaism is Orthodox Ashkenazi/Sefardic.  But not everyone is ideal. I was merely stating that if one chooses to put a choice for orthodox jew, they should add traditional non orthodox such as people like me, and secular.  Not every Jew is going to be an orthodox Jew...and many of them are probably doing some soul searching throughout their lives to find their answer.  HOwever, if the poll simply says Jewish...then there is no need to spell out what type of Jewish.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2009, 12:58:58 PM »

Sefardic
Orthodox
Traditional non-orthodox
Secular
The masortic (traditional) Jews in Israel consider themselves orthodox. There are no 'masorti' rabbis.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »

Sefardic
Orthodox
Traditional non-orthodox
Secular
The masortic (traditional) Jews in Israel consider themselves orthodox. There are no 'masorti' rabbis.

A traditional Jew should know better to go to an orthodox rabbi... if to any rabbi.  If a Jew who called himself traditional non orthodox went to a non orthodox rabbi, I would place them in the secular category...or simply unaffiliated Jew who tries to be traditional.