Author Topic: Anunnaki in light of Torah, Talmud, Zohar  (Read 12799 times)

Offline Hanketcham

• Junior JTFer
Anunnaki in light of Torah, Talmud, Zohar
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:57:58 AM »
In light of sacred Jewish texts, is there any indication to Z.Sitchin's postulations on ancient sumerian accounts about the anunnaki? 

Offline Sefardic Panther

• Full JTFer
Re: Anunnaki in light of Torah, Talmud, Zohar
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »
I think the Anunnaki could be the Nefilim mentioned in Bereshith ch.6. These were the offspring of Jin and human women.

Nefilim can mean “giants” or “fallen ones”. I think Anunnaki is Akkadian and means “beings from the sky” or "those who descended".

The term “Anaqim” (the descendants of the Nefilim mentioned in Bamidbar ch.13) is very similar to “Anunnaki”. Hevron was originally their chief city.

This is a very interesting subject it would be excellent to see other views on this.

"Let there be a holocaust on the anti-semites!!!" - Rabbi Mordechai Friedman Shlita

http://www.youtube.com/user/SefardicPanther

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 08:15:51 PM »
http://ohr.edu/ask/ask289.htm
"
Glenn Slocum from McKinleyville, CA wrote:

Dear Rabbi,

What are the "Nephilim" mentioned in the Torah?

Dear Glenn Slocum,

The Nephilim are mentioned twice in the Torah (Genesis 6, Numbers 13). "Nephilim" means "the fallen ones." They were people of giant stature. It is not clear how large they were, but were large enough to scare other people. The Targum Yerushalmi, which is a Midrash, explains that they were Angels who descended to the Earth. According to this they were called fallen ones because they fell from their heavenly stature. The Ramban explains otherwise, that they were the other children of Adam. Because Adam, the First Man, was the handiwork of G-d, his children were of greater physical stature than their descendants. Because these people were so close to the Creator, they knew that they had no grandfather, they should have been spiritually elevated. Because they didn't live up to their potential they were considered "fallen ones."
"

http://www.ravkooktorah.org/BRAYSHIT60.htm

"
The Nephilim

Immediately before the story of Noah and a corrupted world, the Torah makes a passing mention of Nephilim, powerful giants who lived at that time.

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days. ... They were the mightiest ones ever, men of renown." [Gen. 6:4]

Who were these titans? Why does the Torah call them Nephilim?

The Midrash explains that they were called Nephilim because they fell (naphlu) and brought about the world's downfall (nephilah). These giants were catalysts for a great moral collapse of society.

Studying Foreign Languages

In 1906, fifteen-year-old Tzvi Yehuda Kook asked his father whether he should devote time to learning other languages. In his response, Rav Kook analyzed the relative importance of expertise in languages and rhetoric:

"We should aspire to help others, both our own people and all of humanity, as much as possible. Certainly, our influence will increase as we gain competence in various languages and speaking styles. ... But if perfecting these skills will come at the expense of analytic study, then this will reduce the true intellectual content in one's contribution to the world."

Some people mistake proficiency in many languages for intellectual greatness. This is not the case. Linguistic talents are merely tools. Genuine perceptiveness and intellectual insight are a function of how well one has established the foundations of one's own inner integrity.

To demonstrate his point, Rav Kook noted that the great Nephilim who brought about the world's moral collapse were "anshei shem." Usually translated as 'men of renown,' this phrase literally means 'men of names,' or 'men of words.' They were great leaders, skilled in the arts of persuasion and rhetoric. But their talents were an empty shell, devoid of inner content. On the contrary, they used their superficial eloquence for unscrupulous purposes.

It is interesting to contrast the Nephilim and their highly-developed oratorical skills with the individual responsible for bringing the Torah’s teachings to the world. The highest level of prophecy was transmitted through a man who testified about himself that he was not a man of words, but "heavy of mouth and heavy of tongue" [Ex. 4:10]. Moses was not talented in rhetoric and lacked confidence in his communication skills. Nonetheless, his moral impact on the world is without equal in the history of mankind.

Tools of War

In these pre-Messianic times, Rav Kook wrote, when we must do battle against ideological foes who attack all that is holy to us, we should look to King David for inspiration. David rejected the heavy armor of Saul, for he was not trained in the art of war. Rather, he gathered five smooth stones from the stream. The five stones are a metaphor: David waged his battle against Goliath and his blasphemy using the spiritual teachings of the Five Books of Moses.

We should emulate David, and not invest too much of our time and effort acquiring the tools of ideological warfare. Like the young shepherd who took up a slingshot in his fight against Goliath, we should not totally eschew the implements of rhetoric. But David's victory over the blasphemous Philistine was achieved due to the purity of his charge, "in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel" [I Samuel 17:45].

Eloquence and elocution are but tools. They may be used for nefarious purposes, like the corrupt Nephilim, or for conquering evil, like David. Ultimately, it is not the medium but the message that counts.
"

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Hanketcham

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:39:33 AM »
I think the Anunnaki could be the Nefilim mentioned in Bereshith ch.6. These were the offspring of Jin and human women.

Nefilim can mean “giants” or “fallen ones”. I think Anunnaki is Akkadian and means “beings from the sky” or "those who descended".

The term “Anaqim” (the descendants of the Nefilim mentioned in Bamidbar ch.13) is very similar to “Anunnaki”. Hevron was originally their chief city.

This is a very interesting subject it would be excellent to see other views on this.

Where can we locate Hevron on the present day map!
So the anunnaki were human / jin hybrids as well as fallen from a great stature (fallen Angels). 

I am very inquisitive as to where the union of jin and woman took place.  Is Lillith involved in this union of jin and woman?    Was her union with Samael the original mating that led to this hybrid race of jin and woman?  It is believed that Lillith and Samael consummated their relationship after Lillith rejected Adam and fled, refusing to return with the Angels G-d sent after her.  so she sided with Samael.  Was samael eventually a fallen angel.?  Is he lucifer?
If they did concieve, him and Lillith, then they had hybrid jin/woman offspring.  And unless they did not reject their parents, they are all of teh fallen ones. 
Any views on this???

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:48:58 AM »

So the anunnaki were human / jin hybrids as well as fallen from a great stature (fallen Angels). 

I am very inquisitive as to where the union of jin and woman took place.  Is Lillith involved in this union of jin and woman?    Was her union with Samael the original mating that led to this hybrid race of jin and woman?  It is believed that Lillith and Samael consummated their relationship after Lillith rejected Adam and fled, refusing to return with the Angels G-d sent after her.  so she sided with Samael.  Was samael eventually a fallen angel.?  Is he lucifer?
If they did concieve, him and Lillith, then they had hybrid jin/woman offspring.  And unless they did not reject their parents, they are all of teh fallen ones. 
Any views on this???

Ancient Hebron is usually identified as "Tel Rumeida" (Such is the Arab name, the proper name should be "Tel Hebron"). Today there is a small Jewish settlement in the place. They live in trailer type houses so not to destroy archeological findings and to allow excavation.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:55:51 AM »

Any views on this???

I think that you didn't read what I posted. I don't think these were fallen angels. They were 'men of reknown' because they were so close to Adam and knew G-d... The idea of fallen angels is not a very Jewish idea. Also there are no half-human half-gods in Jewish belief. Angels are simply the forces of Hashem and they have no free-will like a human. In Jewish belief Humans are superior to angels because humans have free-will while angels do not. The only question is whether they have the ability to bargain with Hashem as there are midrashes which discuss conversations between Hashem and the angels, like when the universe was created the angels asked hashem if it was worth it...

Also Lucifer is not a Jewish concept... We have no concept like the Devil... The closest thing is the Satan which is the prosecutor in the holy tribunal and also he is the Yetzer Hara {Evil inclination} in all men. I have written extensively about how other religions have poisoned the Jewish idea of Good and Evil. In Judaism both GOOD AND EVIL are created by Hashem... Good doesnt come from Hashem and Evil from some devil... All is created from Hashem, he creates evil to bring about some unforseen good.

You are right that Samael is another name for the Satan...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Hanketcham

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:10:10 PM »
I understand Muman613.  Fallen angel does not correctly describe the anunnaki.   Nor is it a valid concept for an angel.  I also agree that the original anunnaki were the people of knowledge and esoteric status.  I believe that they disagreed on the issue of adam.   
I feel that those who disagreed were led by Samael.  When lillith rejected adam, samael took a union with lillith.  There off-spring had to be part anunnaki and part human.  THat is they were hybrid anunnaki or human anunnaki.

Can we develop this scenario further?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 12:53:02 PM »
I understand Muman613.  Fallen angel does not correctly describe the anunnaki.   Nor is it a valid concept for an angel.  I also agree that the original anunnaki were the people of knowledge and esoteric status.  I believe that they disagreed on the issue of adam.   
I feel that those who disagreed were led by Samael.  When lillith rejected adam, samael took a union with lillith.  There off-spring had to be part anunnaki and part human.  THat is they were hybrid anunnaki or human anunnaki.

Can we develop this scenario further?

I don't know about this particular story you refer but I have searched for it.

I am not sure if this is too high a level to understand but it seems you have looked into these ideas before. What I will post is certainly considered Kabbalistic understanding of Torah. As others here have said that Kabbalah must be understood in light of complete Jewish halacha and observance. A man can only learn Kabbalah once he has mastered Pshat {basic understanding} of Torah.

But it may be interesting for those who are inclined for mysticism so I will post it and refer readers to appropriate websites and teachers.

http://www.kabbalaonline.org/majorconcepts/landofisrael/agents_of_a_foreign_death_124.asp

Agents of a Foreign Death 12:4

Translation and commentary by Rabbi David Slavin

Let us resume discussing the types of death in Eretz Yisrael and abroad. There are three main types.

Slaughtering with a blemished knife results in [a category in Jewish law rendering food unkosher referred to as] "nevayla". This happens to those who are killed by Samael [the Angel of Death], who uses a blemished knife. There are two types of blemishes in a slaughtering knife: 1) "Ogrot" [meaning "jagged"] and 2) "Mesuchsachot" [meaning smooth in one direction yet jagged in the other]; that knife doesn't kill those who die in Eretz Yisrael, rather they get killed with the sword of G-d.

This happens to the those ignorant of Torah ["amei ha'aretz", literally, "people of the land"], who lived as animals, therefore they need to gain atonement through slaughtering. This is accomplished through the pain of death. This is alluded to in the verse, "And the land shall atone for the nation [ami ha'aretz]"(Deut. 32:43), yet their death is done by the means of a "kosher" angel. This angel goes up and acquires permission, then descends and grabs the Neshama, somewhat like a snake. Yet abroad, the angel literally grabs him precisely as a snake.

"Ogrot" is from the root of Ograt bat Machalat [a female demonic force]; she causes blemishes to the soul from all directions. She is most distressing for mankind to experience. This is also referred to as "nevayla" [improperly slaughtered kosher animal] hinting to: "neval - Y-ah [G-d]". "Neval" [in the male form] is Samael, whilst "Nevala" [in the female form] is Lilith [basically the queen of all demonic forces, also the wife of Samael]. This is the Ogrot that gathers together all the soldiers of defilement, she is the mother of demons, definitely jagged; through her are contaminated all those who excite themselves for naught. She collects all those wasted drops and uses them for her own wishes. She impregnates herself from them and gives birth to these demented sons, may G-d save us. She mutilates and causes a nevayla.

Mesuchsechet is difficult yet not so extreme, for it has a side of purity to it despite its distortion of man. Her repentance is very difficult; she grasps and defiles the soul from only one side.

Both these knives create a nevayla. Therefore their slaughtering results in real death, for Samael and the primordial Snake are in the blade, and his flesh becomes defiled for it has been taken hold of by the External Forces.

Yet Torah scholars that toil in G-d's Torah, which is the Tree of Life, need no slaughtering. Rather they are collected to G-d in Zion. In other words, the Shechina appears to them in the contingency of all the tzadikim in Gan Eden. The Torah scholar lifts himself above the physical and material and is collected to his nation with the Shechina. His being gathered towards the glory of G-d frees him. The concept of the sea [in Hebrew, "yam"] is the notion of the Sea of Torah. His being collected from the "sea" is possible only by interrupting his Torah learning. As can be seen by the deaths of Rabba bar Nachmani (Baba Metzia 86 a) and King David (Shabbat 31) as well as those mentioned in tractate Moed Katan 28a [where we see that Rav Chisda couldn't be taken by the angel of death for he never stopped learning].

Samael is called the "Mota Ravreva" ["Great Death" in Aramaic] and was created on the second day of Creation, while Lilith is called the "Mota Zutrata" ["Smaller Death"] and was created on the fourth day of Creation. Yet he who is a Torah scholar can not be taken by either. Rather G-d takes his soul in a manner similar to that of a kiss. This is what is meant by the verse, "An illegitimate child [in Hebrew, 'mamzer'] shall not enter the congregation of G-d". For the word "mamzer" spells the beginning letters of "Mota Ravreva" and "Mota Zutrasa". They shall not enter the congregation of G-d (which are the tzadikim). Rather they [Torah scholars] die be means of the kiss of G-d.

In regards to death, outside Eretz Yisrael it is accomplished by the Angel of Death, whereas in Israel it comes about via a holy force. The same rules will apply to sleeping. For one who sleeps away from Israel, enters that state with kelipot and the External Forces, whereas in Eretz Yisrael it is through holiness, for the kelipot are prohibited from entering Eretz Yisrael (as per Zohar parashat Teruma). Just like death in Israel enables tranquility for the soul leading to ascension to Gan Eden, so too sleep is for the tranquility of the soul, that it should cleave to holiness and to revel and bask in the sweet supernal light.

Just as evildoers, through their sins and death, their souls are cast aside and cut off from holiness, the same is true during their lifetimes. That's why evildoers are called "dead" whilst they are alive, only that there is a vast difference between the two types of deaths. In real death, the External Forces rule over the soul to punish her in accordance to her evilness; in death during life, however, there exists a protection preventing the External Forces from controlling the soul, yet the External Forces still are able to pester the soul. This is a benefit of reciting Shema at bedtime, for it distances the External Forces from attacking the soul while it ascends for the night.

Rabbi Chaim Vital wrote that there exist two angels who are in charge of death. The one in charge of death outside of Israel is named "Samael"; the one in charge of death within Eretz Yisrael is called "Gabriel". Each of them has great armies, comprising of angels who are called "angels of death". Yet the two of them are both servants to Metatron. Each day G-d informs Metatron of who and how many have been sentenced to death. In turn Metatron goes and commands Samael his servant to take the souls of those sentenced to death on that day outside of Eretz Yisrael; likewise he commands Gabriel to go and remove the souls of those who had been sentenced to death in Eretz Yisrael.

Nonetheless those two have never taken a soul themselves. Rather they send one of their troops to perform the deed instead, for there exists an angel for each and every soul. And the level of each angel corresponds to the level of the soul that they are going to take. After completing the mission and handing over the newly removed soul to their boss, that angel is voided from the world. For the sole purpose of the angel's existence was to remove the soul from that person. This is as our Sages taught in regards to the verse, "As shall do the bees" (Deut. 1:44): For the life of the bee is dependant upon its stinger when lodged in the flesh of a person. Shortly after the sting she dies, nonetheless she is happy that she caused pain to the person. Thus all angels of death are happy in their removing the soul of the person, thinking how great it is to be granted the ability to take the soul from a descendent of the Holy Nation.

Offline Hanketcham

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 08:22:30 AM »
So Samael is the devil and the angel of death?  so inspite of being damned as the devil, he is still to carry out his tasks as before?  Was he an angel of death before the creation of adam?
Who is Metatron? Angel?  Higest in heirarchy to Samael and gabriel.  Is this the same gabriel that people call the holy spirit? Also is it possible for there more than one angel with the names samael and gabriel.?

"Neval" [in the male form] is Samael, whilst "Nevala" [in the female form] is Lilith [basically the queen of all demonic forces, also the wife of Samael]. This is the Ogrot that gathers together all the soldiers of defilement, she is the mother of demons, definitely jagged; through her are contaminated all those who excite themselves for naught. She collects all those wasted drops and uses them for her own wishes. She impregnates herself from them and gives birth to these demented sons, may G-d save us. She mutilates and causes a nevayla."

I understand from this that lillith impregnates herself from wasted semen of man.  She bears children who are hybrids, half lillithian and half human.
She must have born a similar line of hybrids from Samael; a race of hybrids, half lillithian and half of Samael's kind.

"Therefore their slaughtering results in real death, for Samael and the primordial Snake are in the blade, and his flesh becomes defiled for it has been taken hold of by the External Forces."
What is the primordial snake? the Kundalini serpent?  The serpent that decieved Eve?

Samael is called the "Mota Ravreva" ["Great Death" in Aramaic] and was created on the second day of Creation, while Lilith is called the "Mota Zutrata" ["Smaller Death"] and was created on the fourth day of Creation.
If Lillith was created on the 4 day of creation, that means Adam was created just before her, appoximately 3rd day?  So samael was created on 2nd day.  He was a born elite?  Because the very next day he rejected Adam!

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »
"To demonstrate his point, Rav Kook noted that the great Nephilim who brought about the world's moral collapse were "anshei shem." Usually translated as 'men of renown,' this phrase literally means 'men of names,' or 'men of words.' They were great leaders, skilled in the arts of persuasion and rhetoric. But their talents were an empty shell, devoid of inner content. On the contrary, they used their superficial eloquence for unscrupulous purposes."

Hmmmm. Sounds like a pretty good description of the "anshei shem" currently occupying the White House.

Offline Sefardic Panther

• Full JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 09:35:16 AM »
Hevron is in Judea (or what goyim call the “west bank”) it is to the south of Yerushalayim.

Indeed “Lucifer”/”the devil” is a character from christian mythology and has nothing to do with Judaism but there is “half-human half-gods” so to speak. There are 4 parallel universes Atziluth, Beriah, Yetzirah and Asiah. We live in the lowest level of Asiah. The Jin that live in the upper level of Asiah are just like us only a lot more sophisticated. They eat, drink, reproduce and can do good or evil. These Jin are what goyim might call “elfs”. They are the ones that got human women up the duff in Bereshith ch.6.

On Yom Kipur the Kohen Gadol would send a goat into the wilderness for Azazel, a very powerful goat-like Jin descended from the Nefilim.

Are you big into Sumerian mythology Hanketcham? I am too because Semites and Sumerians came from the same culture. Do you think the word “Tehom” was derived from “Tiamat”? Do you know cuneiform?

"Let there be a holocaust on the anti-semites!!!" - Rabbi Mordechai Friedman Shlita

Offline Hanketcham

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 12:26:50 AM »
I know a mediocre amount of sumerian mythology:  *** edited on request *** I do not know the meaning of Tehom or its derivation from  *** edited on request***

Tehom means deep ocean.  While ***edited on request*** is known as the bird-snake ***edited on request*.  Sometimes ***edited on request*** is thought to be a synonym for ***edited on request***. 

Where tehom likens ***edited on request*** to oceanic depths, it would also also bind ***edited on request*** to the fish.  There could marine mythology to parallel .

I am learning more these days on the internet. 
I do not cuneform.  Wish I did. 

Sorry- i was not aware one could not post names of mythological dieties on this form.  I apologize.  I have deleted those names as requested.  My apologies.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:44:25 AM by Hanketcham »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 12:56:58 AM »
Hanketcham,

I should ask you not to post any names of foreign G-ds on this forum, especially the Jewish and Torah section. It is a major violation of Torah mitzvot for a Jew to read these names. Please remove the name, thank you.

Exodus 23:9-13
"
 9 And a stranger shalt thou not oppress; for ye know the heart of a stranger, seeing ye were strangers in the land of Egypt.  10 And six years thou shalt sow thy land, and gather in the increase thereof;  11 but the seventh year thou shalt let it rest and lie fallow, that the poor of thy people may eat; and what they leave the beast of the field shall eat. In like manner thou shalt deal with thy vineyard, and with thy oliveyard.  12 Six days thou shalt do thy work, but on the seventh day thou shalt rest; that thine ox and thine donkey may have rest, and the son of thy handmaid, and the stranger, may be refreshed.  13 And in all things that I have said unto you take ye heed; and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth
"

"THESE are the 'chukim & mishpatim' which you must observe in the LAND WHICH HASHEM IS GIVING YOU TO CONQUER... (12:1):

You must totally destroy all the sites where the nations worshiped their idols... on the high hills and mountains... you must ERADICATE THEIR NAMES from this place. (12:2-3)

DO NOT WORSHIP YOUR G-d IN THIS MANNER (in multiple places of worship/ read carefully! / see Further Iyun).

Rather, at the SITE WHICH G-d WILL CHOOSE - HA'MAKOM ASHER YIVCHAR HASHEM - amongst all your tribes, to establish HIS NAME there - L'SHAKEYN SHMO SHAM; -SEEK HIS DIVINE PRESENCE and go there. "l'shichno ti'DRSHU u'ba'ta shama" (12:5)

THERE you must bring all of your offerings and tithes etc. Eat and rejoice there in front of your Lord... (12:6-7)

After you cross the Jordan and enter the Land and find rest from your enemies and enjoy security, then - HA'MAKOM ASHER YIVCHAR HASHEM L'SHAKEYN SHMO SHAM - bring THERE everything which I command you.... (12:8-12)

Be careful not to offer your sacrifices anywhere that you want, rather at HA'MAKOM ASHER YIVCHAR HASHEM, only THERE may you bring your offerings... (12:13-14)

http://www.sichosinenglish.org/general/daily-rambam/014.htm

Negative Mitzvah 14: You shall not swear in the name of false gods
Exodus 23:13 "Make no mention of the name of other gods"

At times, a person may be required to take an oath in court, in order to show that he is telling the truth.

When the oath is given, the person will choose to swear in the name of something that is holy and important to him. This helps to convince others that he is sincere.

We are not allowed to swear in the name of any idol or G-d.

If we are dealing with someone who believes in idols, we are forbidden to allow him to take an oath using the name of the idol.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:03:35 AM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 01:11:58 AM »
I actually think this whole thread is not kosher. I was not aware what Anunnaki was. It is also a fact that my last name when re-arranged spells a name of an egyptian gourd but I will not mention it. I think it is best to avoid discussion of these kinds of things..

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 06:37:49 AM »
I actually think this whole thread is not kosher. I was not aware what Anunnaki was. It is also a fact that my last name when re-arranged spells a name of an egyptian gourd but I will not mention it. I think it is best to avoid discussion of these kinds of things..

Mumman even the bible itself mentions the name of the idol gods such as the baal, the ashera, and the molech.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 11:11:45 AM »

Mumman even the bible itself mentions the name of the idol gods such as the baal, the ashera, and the molech.

This is true but it is also a commandment to never speak the name of other G-ds and I have already posted the relevant portions of Torah where it is discussed. The issue is not whether or not other forces exist, we all know that when Hashem created heaven and earth he did create forces which could be confused by man as gods... Several generations after Adam the people of the world knew that Hashem was god but that it would be OK to worship the forces of the world and thus came idol worship. Hashem is aware of this and commanded JEWS not to worship these forces. When a name of a idol is written it gives power to the idol and it may lead others to look into the idol and learn how to worship it. This also violates the mitzvah of leading others astray. Anyone interested in Baal must be sick... You know how they worshipped Baal don't you?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
http://www.vbm-torah.org/parsha.58/32behar.htm

The prohibition of idol worship that appears in these two parshiot is also differentiated by these two basic differences - the focus on man (Mishpatim) or on the sanctified place (Behar). The spotlight in Mishpatim is turned to the individual Israelite who must not remember other gods. Not only is ritual-religious worship prohibited, but also abstract sectors of philosophical thought are forbidden. In comparison, in our parasha the prohibition stems from the concept that the land of Israel is a sanctified place where idol worship cannot be tolerated: "You shall not make idols for yourselves, or set up for yourselves images or pillars, or place figured stones in your land to worship upon ..." It is forbidden to build idols or statues in the land (even if no man is going to worship them), and do not put "in your land" figured stones. There is a clear feeling that the land will be desecrated by placing of idols or statues within it, and "in your land" it is forbidden to place even a stone that may be used for worship.

Offline Sefardic Panther

• Full JTFer
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
The names of Akkadian deities are also Hebrew Toranic words. For instance Shemesh, Baal and Moloch were Akkadian deities but “Shemesh” is also the Hebrew word for the sun, “Baal” is also Hebrew for master (eg. the Baal Shem tov) and Moloch is also Hebrew for messanger/angel. This is because Avraham Avinu did not invent the Hebrew language when he came to the Holy Land Hebrew was already the language of the culture he came from. Of course we should never study any pagan religion but what is wrong with studying the origins of our language and the origins and meaning of many words that occur in the Torah?

Shabat Shalom

Offline Hanketcham

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 03:50:07 AM »
Sorry, I apologize for posting mythological diety names.

I was not to aware that were not to mention them at this forum. 

I was just seeking a polemic discussion but with no intention of offense. 

Kindly accept my apology.  Thank you for your patience and consideration.

Shalom

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 10:14:08 AM »
http://www.vbm-torah.org/Parasha.58/32behar.htm

The prohibition of idol worship that appears in these two parshiot is also differentiated by these two basic differences - the focus on man (Mishpatim) or on the sanctified place (Behar). The spotlight in Mishpatim is turned to the individual Israelite who must not remember other gods. Not only is ritual-religious worship prohibited, but also abstract sectors of philosophical thought are forbidden. In comparison, in our parasha the prohibition stems from the concept that the land of Israel is a sanctified place where idol worship cannot be tolerated: "You shall not make idols for yourselves, or set up for yourselves images or pillars, or place figured stones in your land to worship upon ..." It is forbidden to build idols or statues in the land (even if no man is going to worship them), and do not put "in your land" figured stones. There is a clear feeling that the land will be desecrated by placing of idols or statues within it, and "in your land" it is forbidden to place even a stone that may be used for worship.

I don't think that the quoted passage validates you assertion that even mentioning the names of idols is forbidden. Moreover like S.P. mentions, some idols' names are everyday words in Hebrew like Shamash/Shemesh, Baal, even the word El is a name of a Mesopotamian idol.
In English the names for the planets and for some days of the week are those of Indo-European idols, so do you avoid those words Muman ?

BTW, Personally, I think that the name of the natural object/entity such as the sun (Shemesh) preceded the 'deity' but anyway these idols are a bygone.
I assure you that practically every living person today do NOT attribute any godly power whatsoever to these old idols. Therefore I don't think one can claim that mentioning their names is a form of idolatry.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »
http://www.vbm-torah.org/Parasha.58/32behar.htm

I don't think that the quoted passage validates you assertion that even mentioning the names of idols is forbidden. Moreover like S.P. mentions, some idols' names are everyday words in Hebrew like Shamash/Shemesh, Baal, even the word El is a name of a Mesopotamian idol.
In English the names for the planets and for some days of the week are those of Indo-European idols, so do you avoid those words Muman ?

BTW, Personally, I think that the name of the natural object/entity such as the sun (Shemesh) preceded the 'deity' but anyway these idols are a bygone.
I assure you that practically every living person today do NOT attribute any godly power whatsoever to these old idols. Therefore I don't think one can claim that mentioning their names is a form of idolatry.

Mentioning the names of other powers and claiming that they are gods is idolatry in a mild form. Also posting them in a section where people may be looking for Jewish ideas may lead some astray. The word El means forces in general and is short for Elokim which also means Strict Justice verses the name Yud Kay Vav Kay which is the name we use for his attributes of kindness.

I believe people can do whatever they want but that in a section which is called Torah and Jewish ideals we should not be speaking or writing the names of powers which the ancients worshiped. Maybe in a forum where everyone there is seeking knowledge for secular studies such as archeology or ancient religions or something.

There is no reason to seek other gods. Hashem has told the Jewish people very clearly not to do so. Let me also quote another section of Torah which explains just how much Hashem feels about this:

Just two Shabbats ago we read Ki Tisa which contains the following:

http://www.chabad.org/parshah/torahreading.asp?aid=15567&v=ds&p=6

11 Observe thou that which I am commanding thee this day; behold, I am driving out before thee the Amorite, and the Canaanite, and the Hittite, and the Perizzite, and the Hivite, and the Jebusite. 
12 Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest they be for a snare in the midst of thee.
13 But ye shall break down their altars, and dash in pieces their pillars, and ye shall cut down their Asherim.
14 For thou shalt bow down to no other G-d; for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous G-d; 
15 lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land, and they go astray after their gods, and do sacrifice unto their gods, and they call thee, and thou eat of their sacrifice; 
16 and thou take of their daughters unto thy sons, and their daughters go astray after their gods, and make thy sons go astray after their gods. 
17 Thou shalt make thee no molten gods.

I will ask my rabbi about this next time I talk with him. I believe it is best to avoid names of other G-ds even if you are just looking at the roots of words. There are many good talks on the topic of the orgins and mystical gematria of hebrew words by rabbis...

Also read this:

http://www.aishdas.org/ta/5765/mishpatim.pdf

The commentators point out that (one of) the intention(s) of the reminder to "keep all of the things I have said" is to instruct us to "keep" or "watch over" the commandants by creating protective layers around the laws, i.e. the rabbinical decrees that create a fence around the biblical prohibitions. It is interesting to note that the Torah contrasts the need to provide more than just "lip service" to the commandments (but actually "keep" them, even observing the protective layers around the prohibition) with the prohibition against even giving just "lip service" to other belief systems, i.e. even mentioning, or causing the mention of, other gods. However, the Torah itself mentions some of those other gods (as being the gods of other nations, and warning us not to follow them), and we are therefore permitted to mention those names (although derogatorily). If the Torah mentions other gods, how could the rabbis have?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:04:37 PM by muman613 »