Author Topic: Fed chief Bernanke: recession could end in '09  (Read 1150 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Fed chief Bernanke: recession could end in '09
« on: March 15, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »
WASHINGTON – America's recession "probably" will end this year if the government succeeds in bolstering the banking system, Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke said Sunday in a rare television interview.

In carefully hedged remarks in a taped interview with CBS' "60 Minutes," Bernanke seemed to express a bit more optimism that this could be done.

Still, Bernanke stressed — as he did to Congress last month — that the prospects for the recession ending this year and a recovery taking root next year hinge on a difficult task: getting banks to lend more freely again and getting the financial markets to work more normally.

"We've seen some progress in the financial markets, absolutely," Bernanke said. "But until we get that stabilized and working normally, we're not going to see recovery.

"But we do have a plan. We're working on it. And, I do think that we will get it stabilized, and we'll see the recession coming to an end probably this year."

Even if the recession, which began in December 2007, ends this year, the unemployment rate will keep climbing past the current quarter-century high of 8.1 percent, Bernanke said.

A growing number of economists think the jobless rate will hit 10 percent by the end of this year.

Asked about the biggest potential dangers now, Bernanke suggested a lack of "political will" to solve the financial crisis.

He said, though, that the United States has averted the risk of plunging into a depression.

"I think we've gotten past that," he said.

It's rare for a sitting Fed chief to grant an interview, whether for broadcast or print. Bernanke said he chose to do so because it's an "extraordinary time" for the country, and it gave him a chance to speak directly to the American public. (A transcript of the interview was provided in advance of the broadcast.)

Bernanke spoke at a time of rising public anger over financial bailouts using taxpayer money. Battling the worst financial crisis since the 1930s, the government has put hundreds of billions of those dollars at risk to prop up troubled institutions and stabilize the banking system.

Institutions that have been thrown lifelines include American International Group Inc., Citigroup Inc., Bank of America Corp., mortgage giants Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and others.

Democrats and Republicans on Capitol Hill have questioned the effectiveness of the rescue efforts and have demanded more information about how taxpayers' money is being used.

Bernanke's TV interview seemed to be part of a government public relations offensive. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner appeared on PBS' "The Charlie Rose Show" last week, discussing the financial crisis and the Obama's administration's relief efforts.

The Fed chief on Sunday's broadcast repeated his ire over the AIG bailout, saying that over the past 18 months, that was the case that angered him the most. He says he "slammed the phone more than a few times on discussing AIG."

The government's four efforts to save the troubled insurance giant total more than $170 billion. A collapse of AIG would have wreaked havoc on the global economy, the Fed has said.

AIG ignited fresh outrage over the weekend with news that it's making $165 million in bonus payments to executives on Sunday, most of them in the unit that sold risky financial contracts that caused huge losses for AIG.

When the financial crisis intensified last fall, Bernanke and President George W. Bush's Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson rushed to Capitol Hill for help. That led to the swift enactment of a $700 billion bailout package in October. Since then, banks have received billions in capital injections in return for government ownership stakes in them.

Looking back, Bernanke said the world came close to a financial meltdown. Asked how close, Bernanke responded: "It was very close."

Bernanke admitted that the Fed could have done a better job of overseeing banks. Critics say lax regulatory oversight contributed to the crisis.

Bernanke said he believes all the big banks the Fed regulates are solvent. Big banks won't fail under his watch, Bernanke said — though, if necessary, the government should try to "wind it down in a safe way."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090315/ap_on_bi_ge/bernanke60_minutes

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
Re: Fed chief Bernanke: recession could end in '09
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 11:28:27 PM »
How can this be possible with so many losing their jobs? Even MY pay has gone down! >:(
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:58:01 PM »
How can this be possible with so many losing their jobs? Even MY pay has gone down! >:(

This is so incredibly stupid.  The Real Estate prices arent even near their trendline prices. and the effect of the layoffs hasnt even TRULY hit the foreclosure numbers.

I have absolutely no respect for any economist who spouts such stupidity.

I am telling you guys.... All these stupid assumptions are going to add havoc to our market in 2010.

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 03:32:45 PM »
The media will tell us all that things are much better come 2010 and 2012 to keep Obama and the Marxist in control.  Bernanke is a liar and thug along with his other cronies. 

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:18:43 AM »

This is so incredibly stupid.  The Real Estate prices arent even near their trendline prices. and the effect of the layoffs hasnt even TRULY hit the foreclosure numbers.

I have absolutely no respect for any economist who spouts such stupidity.

I am telling you guys.... All these stupid assumptions are going to add havoc to our market in 2010.

I don't see HOW people can believe this crap when it personally AFFECTS every single one of us!  >:(
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 08:11:20 PM »
I think the shvartza President started to see his poll numbers slip and decided to try and talk up the economy a bit. Make no mistake the rally on Wall Street is a suckers rally. The good numbers they reported in the housing industry today is just a seasonal blip. People work on getting permits to build in the cold months and build in the spring and summer. This is not speck housing most likely its custom homes being built that are bought and paid for already. Under a better administration we may have been on the road to recovery by the end of 09 but with this bunch I think it will be years of upheaval before we ever start to see things even off. The worse part of the whole picture is if any recovery is still possible it will be killed off by the trillions and trillions this administration wants to spend in tarp and social programs.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:37:57 PM »
He is chair of the fed. If he told the truth then there would a gigantic worldwide panic that would result in Dow ending up close to ZERO.

Things are not getting better in 2009 (they are getting worse like Brian says) but if Bernanke said anything close to this we would be in for a nasty day after.  He paints a rosy picture and hopes it delays the market for a while.  It looks like he succeeded.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 09:07:26 PM »
It is possible that the recession will end before the end of the year. I already see signs that most companies in my industry are once again moving in the positive direction. Today my company ended up .40 (+2.82%). I think things will look better soon... I know that most here want the economy to suffer so you can say Obama messed up, but in the end that is a dumb way to look at things. I pray for things to get better for everyone, not worse...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 06:26:10 PM »
It is possible that the recession will end before the end of the year. I already see signs that most companies in my industry are once again moving in the positive direction. Today my company ended up .40 (+2.82%). I think things will look better soon... I know that most here want the economy to suffer so you can say Obama messed up, but in the end that is a dumb way to look at things. I pray for things to get better for everyone, not worse...

Whatever way you want to look at it smart or dumb this is a suckers rally. I myself would be very happy if the new administration came in and really turned things around. Sad truth is the market has been in decline since after the elections and has got even worse under the new leadership. Every time the animal has opened his mouth it has cost me nice money so I am praying also. The intentions of my prayers may not be the same as yours but in the end they may make things better just the same. Your company is doing ok my company is doing ok but there are many that are not and the policies of this administration will make it so that trend continues. Once the administration pushes through a few more tarp programs and then starts to try and recoup some revenue from the taxpayers the fun will really start.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 07:34:19 PM »

Muman... Im happy for your company...  but I think people here need a refresher on economics. 

It is NOT possible for a bubble that as large as the real estate market to recover in such a short period of time, and if its artificially stimulated and inflated the way Obama wants... it will simply forestall it from bottoming for another year or so... which will ultimately  hurt us.

We HAVE to have our period of reckoning... otherwise we make things worse. 

During the last recession... we jumped out REALLY quickly.  why??  well, for one... the bubble was 1/50th the size of the real estate bubble, and ALSO... people used their houses as ATM machines and refinanced them to get cash and this artificially kept us from truly bottoming out... which helped add to the RE bubble.

You can do this for SMALL bubbles... but you CANT do it for large ones. 

We HAVE to have our period of reckoning... which means Real Estate HAS to go below its trendline prices... and those that bought houses that were beyond their needs have to go back to renting.  Trust me on this.  In a few months we will see real estste losses accelerating and once this is over... we can start TRULY recovering... but until this happens we cannot even begin to start recovering.

However.... it is very possible that other awful things can happen... but Im talking about a best-case scenario.  I'd say... best case scenario... we can be out of the recession in 2010.  Worst case is beyond comprehension.

Brian

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 10:29:41 AM »

However.... it is very possible that other awful things can happen... but Im talking about a best-case scenario.  I'd say... best case scenario... we can be out of the recession in 2010.  Worst case is beyond comprehension.

Brian

Brian's entire reply was excellent. You ain't seen nothing yet! Best case scenario this mess starts to go away in the spring of 2010. All of 2009 is going to be a big mess but if you know what you are doing you could be set for life by the end of it.

There are MANY MANY more businesses that are going to go out of business.  In the newspaper industry alone there will be 1000's of jobs lost. This is just one randomly selected industry.

Good luck.

Offline zachor_ve_kavod

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »
I expect the recession will end at some point in late 2009.  We will go right from the recession to a depression!