Author Topic: Pope will be allowed to wear Christian Cross at KOTEL  (Read 3265 times)

Offline Maimonides

• Pro JTFer
  • The Greatest Jewish Sage
Pope will be allowed to wear Christian Cross at KOTEL
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:24:19 AM »
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=15400

I wonder if Jews can wear Kippas at St. Peter's Basilica, something tells me the answer is NO!

Regardless of that if the Pope is allowed to wear a cross then will other religions be allowed to bring IDOLS to the Kotel?

Rome, Italy, Mar 18, 2009 / 02:13 am (CNA).- Contrary to comments attributed to an Israeli rabbi, Pope Benedict XVI will not be barred from entering the holy area of Jerusalem’s Western Wall while wearing a cross.

On Tuesday the Jerusalem Post quoted Rabbi Shmuel Rabinovitch, who oversees worship matters at the Western Wall, as saying that the Pope should not wear a cross during his visit to the area.

“It is not fitting to enter the Western Wall area with religious symbols, including a cross,” the rabbi reportedly said, according to SIR.

Mordechay Lewy, Israel’s Ambassador to the Holy See, issued a clarifying statement saying that the Jerusalem Post’s quotation was “misleading.”

Ambassador Lewy said that Israel will “respect, as a matter of course, the religious symbols of the Holy Father and of his entourage, as expected in accordance with rules of hospitality and dignity,” following the same procedure applied in Pope John Paul II’s papal visit to Israel in 2000.

“This was confirmed to a high Official of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Jerusalem personally by Rabbi Shmuel Rabinovitch,” the ambassador’s statement continued.

Pope Benedict is scheduled to visit the Western Wall on May 12 as part of his journey to the Holy Land.

“You must accept the truth from whatever source it comes”- Maimonides

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Pope will be allowed to wear Christian Cross at KOTEL
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »
They can i know someone who visited it.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 11:44:54 AM »
I also, know someone who wore a cross while visiting.

I don't know if it was very visually exposed for all to see or if it was under the collar of a shirt, making it less visible.

But, I do know of someone who has worn one on a visit.

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »
Yes we can wear a kippah inside, but we Jews forbidden to go in a church anyways.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:13:10 PM »
I am not so happy about this visit altogether. The Pope should not come to the Kotel, it is the HOLIEST PLACE on earth for a Jew at this time. Why does he have to come and profane the holy place? Is this a part of some kind of plot? Jews should have stood up and insisted that this man not bring idolatry into this site.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:25:35 PM »
I am not so happy about this visit altogether. The Pope should not come to the Kotel, it is the HOLIEST PLACE on earth for a Jew at this time. Why does he have to come and profane the holy place? Is this a part of some kind of plot? Jews should have stood up and insisted that this man not bring idolatry into this site.

Indeed, this and the fact that he pardons a holocaust denying bishop. He shouldn't even be visiting Israel.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 02:19:16 PM »

The problem here is not that a pope visits the kotel, it's that this particular pope is doing so. He pardons the holocaust denier and he himself was invoved in the hitler youth. Real righteous gentiles like john hagee are opposed to him too. Also, jews are allowed to weap a yarmulke and visit the vatican. Rabbis always go there, just last week arthur scneir was there and wore a kippa.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:52:58 PM »
I wish this whole visit never took place because it is obviously as much about politics as it is about religion. As for the cross- I am sure thousands of gentiles tourists visit the site every year wearing a cross necklace.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 03:17:23 PM »

The problem here is not that a pope visits the kotel, it's that this particular pope is doing so. He pardons the holocaust denier and he himself was invoved in the hitler youth. Real righteous gentiles like john hagee are opposed to him too. Also, jews are allowed to weap a yarmulke and visit the vatican. Rabbis always go there, just last week arthur scneir was there and wore a kippa.

An Orthodox Jew must not go into a church because it is against Halacha. Investigate it yourself but I have gotten into trouble for mentioning this here..
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
Rabbis always go there, just last week arthur scneir was there and wore a kippa.
Except that the only place Arthur Schneir (ys) should be visiting is a men's clinic for syphilis in Greenwich Village.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 03:53:27 PM »
Rabbis always go there, just last week arthur scneir was there and wore a kippa.
Except that the only place Arthur Schneir (ys) should be visiting is a men's clinic for syphilis in Greenwich Village.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline P J C

• Master JTFer
  • Liberty and Justice for All
    • Take Back the West
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 03:53:43 PM »
Kippah's are not forbidden in the CHURCH. They are welcomed, and I COMMEND who ever gave the Pope the permission to wear a cross in Kotel.
"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
Kippah's are not forbidden in the CHURCH. They are welcomed, and I COMMEND who ever gave the Pope the permission to wear a cross in Kotel.

Why? Do you know what happened when the Jews brought idols into the temple? This has nothing to do with 'interfaith' dialog. It has to do with what Hashem told the Jewish people about the spot where the Holy Temple stood and will stand again. It may sound good for multiculturism but it is just as, if not more, against the word of Hashem as the ugly mosque which sits on the temple mount.

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 05:07:51 PM »
I would welcome a man like john haguee or pat robertson at the kotel anytime. I am uncomfortable with this pope. I have no problems with righteous gentize zionists going to the kotel. The problem is with this specific pope, not with righteous gentiles.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:35:31 PM »
I had a Bible with me when i visited the Kotel, but of course the New Testament was hidden behind the Tanach. 
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 06:02:39 PM »

Yes it's an evil plot, you can't trust those Christians, they're sneaky little weasels and always up to no good!  :nono:

Some of them may even be trying to join here, so watch out! 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 06:05:54 PM »

Yes it's an evil plot, you can't trust those Christians, they're sneaky little weasels and always up to no good!  :nono:

Do you really think so? Is the Pope visiting the Kotel going to make Jews more interested in Judaism? I don't see how that will work...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 06:08:05 PM »

Do you really think so? Is the Pope visiting the Kotel going to make Jews more interested in Judaism? I don't see how that will work...

I don't think the Pope should be taken seriously to be honest. It's hard for me to take anyone seriously who wears a funny hat like that and yes I mean his tall pointy one.  :laugh:

I'm going to add some more.

Honestly Muman non-Jews have been visiting the Western wall for a long time now. I don't see why such a big deal is being made of this although personally if I were going to visit I would be respectful of the other people there and not wear something like that. On the other hand, it's not like he's going to symbolize the Catholic faith any more than he would otherwise whether he's wearing a cross or not. After all, he's the Pope, for goodness sake.

And of course for the sarcasm-impaired my post above was not meant to be taken literally.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:18:55 PM by Rubystars »

Offline Dagger

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2009, 06:25:07 PM »
Why does he have to come and profane the holy place? Is this a part of some kind of plot?

muman613,

Is this more conspiracy B.S.?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 06:30:46 PM by Dagger »

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 06:53:23 PM »

Your 100% correct muman the pope should not go where he is not wanted more so carrying all that idolatry along with him. :o After all he has thousands of other places to go in the world where the people will welcome him with open arms and pray that he only passes down their street or just catch a glimpse of him speaking. I plan to visit Israel one day and I hope when I get there there will be nice friendly people there to show me everything important. I will be sure to have someone give me the once over just to be sure I pass muster before my visit.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Moshe92

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 07:47:43 PM »

Muman is just stating his opinion which is based on Jewish law.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 07:53:39 PM »

Muman is just stating his opinion which is based on Jewish law.
Well if thats the case why would they allow the Pope to visit the site. They should have told him it was not permissible. He didn't just drop out of the sky.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Nadav

• Full JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »
Why does he have to come and profane the holy place? Is this a part of some kind of plot?

muman613,

Conspiracy B.S? Well surely Muman is being so unreasonable given the Catholic Church's historical stance on Jews. I mean come on, we have always been treated so well by the Catholic Church  ???

It's surely not a popular topic for the forum so I won't say too much. But the fact is, historically, they have done to us worse than Muslims. We Jews are notorious for having a short memory.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=15400

I wonder if Jews can wear Kippas at St. Peter's Basilica, something tells me the answer is NO!

Regardless of that if the Pope is allowed to wear a cross then will other religions be allowed to bring IDOLS to the Kotel?

Rome, Italy, Mar 18, 2009 / 02:13 am (CNA).- Contrary to comments attributed to an Israeli rabbi, Pope Benedict XVI will not be barred from entering the holy area of Jerusalem’s Western Wall while wearing a cross.

On Tuesday the Jerusalem Post quoted Rabbi Shmuel Rabinovitch, who oversees worship matters at the Western Wall, as saying that the Pope should not wear a cross during his visit to the area.

“It is not fitting to enter the Western Wall area with religious symbols, including a cross,” the rabbi reportedly said, according to SIR.

Mordechay Lewy, Israel’s Ambassador to the Holy See, issued a clarifying statement saying that the Jerusalem Post’s quotation was “misleading.”

Ambassador Lewy said that Israel will “respect, as a matter of course, the religious symbols of the Holy Father and of his entourage, as expected in accordance with rules of hospitality and dignity,” following the same procedure applied in Pope John Paul II’s papal visit to Israel in 2000.

“This was confirmed to a high Official of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Jerusalem personally by Rabbi Shmuel Rabinovitch,” the ambassador’s statement continued.

Pope Benedict is scheduled to visit the Western Wall on May 12 as part of his journey to the Holy Land.

:::D  Why would you be barred from St. Peter's Basilica for wearing a kippa?  
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 07:59:45 PM »

muman613,

Conspiracy B.S? Well surely Muman is being so unreasonable given the Catholic Church's historical stance on Jews. I mean come on, we have always been treated so well by the Catholic Church  ???

It's surely not a popular topic for the forum so I won't say too much. But the fact is, historically, they have done to us worse than Muslims. We Jews are notorious for having a short memory.
Madonna Mia!  Now we are worse then the muzzies.  Would you like us idolators to all be banned from the forum?
Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.