Author Topic: Tell me about the book of Enoch  (Read 3186 times)

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
Tell me about the book of Enoch
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:58:21 AM »
My husband and I would like to know more about the book of Enoch. However, we don't want to just go searching on the web and get something that isn't authentic. Does anyone know anything about it? Is there a particular translation you would recommend, we can only read an English version. Thanks for any help.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Tell me about the book of Enoch
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
This book is not really considered a part of the Jewish canon. It is considered Apocrypha.

Here is some interesting stuff:

http://www.rabbiwein.com/The-Hebrew-Apocrypha-br3-Lectures-P132.html

Not included in the canon of the Jewish Bible, these books - Mishlei Ben Sira, the Book of the Maccabees, and the Book of Enoch - comprise the Hebrew Apocrypha. In spite of their not being considered holy, they contain a wealth of information regarding Jewish life, history and thought. The study of this information shows the relevance to the understanding of the Jewish world at that time and an opportunity to grasp the broader story of the Jewish people.

Individual lectures:

Mishlei ben Sira - An almost perfect imitation of King Solomon's Book of Proverbs, Mishlei of Ben Sira resembles the Bible more than any other book in the Apocrypha. Analyzing its influence on both the Jewish and Christian worlds, Rabbi Wein carefully picks out facts from fiction and analyzes the book's eternal themes of Torah study, marriage, money, and injustice.

The Book of the Maccabees - The four books of the Maccabees are our main historical source about the Hasmonean dynasty. From the Chanukah miracle to the corruption that pervaded the dynasty in the following decades, these fascinating apocryphal books illustrate how a family of Jewish heroes descended into extinction.

The Book of Enoch - The most mystical of the Apocrypha, this book was written to explain what happened when "G-d took Enoch." With descriptions of Heaven, angels, and the Messianic era, this book was unfortunately adopted by the Christian Church and its text was doctored. Because of this, the Jews now reject it, but its supernatural themes will undoubtedly fascinate all listeners.

It appears that the xtians have corrupted the text of this 'book of enoch'. Needless to say I have no idea what this text contains...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »
Here is something from the Jewish Encyclopedia         

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=383&letter=E           
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:24:22 PM »
This book is not really considered a part of the Jewish canon. It is considered Apocrypha.

Here is some interesting stuff:

http://www.rabbiwein.com/The-Hebrew-Apocrypha-br3-Lectures-P132.html

Not included in the canon of the Jewish Bible, these books - Mishlei Ben Sira, the Book of the Maccabees, and the Book of Enoch - comprise the Hebrew Apocrypha. In spite of their not being considered holy, they contain a wealth of information regarding Jewish life, history and thought. The study of this information shows the relevance to the understanding of the Jewish world at that time and an opportunity to grasp the broader story of the Jewish people.

Individual lectures:

Mishlei ben Sira - An almost perfect imitation of King Solomon's Book of Proverbs, Mishlei of Ben Sira resembles the Bible more than any other book in the Apocrypha. Analyzing its influence on both the Jewish and Christian worlds, Rabbi Wein carefully picks out facts from fiction and analyzes the book's eternal themes of Torah study, marriage, money, and injustice.

The Book of the Maccabees - The four books of the Maccabees are our main historical source about the Hasmonean dynasty. From the Chanukah miracle to the corruption that pervaded the dynasty in the following decades, these fascinating apocryphal books illustrate how a family of Jewish heroes descended into extinction.

The Book of Enoch - The most mystical of the Apocrypha, this book was written to explain what happened when "G-d took Enoch." With descriptions of Heaven, angels, and the Messianic era, this book was unfortunately adopted by the Christian Church and its text was doctored. Because of this, the Jews now reject it, but its supernatural themes will undoubtedly fascinate all listeners.

It appears that the xtians have corrupted the text of this 'book of enoch'. Needless to say I have no idea what this text contains...

I didn't know that. Thanks. I am checking out that link.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:18:24 PM »
If we look into the Zohar, the mystical book of Kabbalah, there is some corroboration for some of the ideas contained in this book.

I have found the following:

http://www.inner.org/powlove/plove07.htm

Love the Creative Power of the Soul - Chapter 7:
Israel As a Light to the Nations

"So G-d created man in His image, in the image of G-d He created him" (Genesis 1:26).

According to many commentators, the meaning of "the image of G-d" is intelligence, freedom of choice, and the ability to shape and influence reality. In countless teachings, our Sages present a picture of man as being essentially higher than the angels and a partner with G-d in the rectification of the world.

In the previous sections, we discussed two of the three major characteristics of love--the kernel point of love present in every process of revealing and actualizing potential, and love's water-like nature to descend, drawing potential down into reality. The "true something" represented by faith, is born through a state of "nothingness" emerging into the "something" or reality of the world through the characteristics of the heart, represented by love.

The three words in Hebrew for "faith," "self-nullification" and "love" when added together equal 162, the same numerical value as b?tzelem, "in the image." This three-stage model serves as a guide for delving into the deepest recesses of the soul, identifying one's inherent talents, purpose and destiny in life and the focused means to achieve and fulfill that calling. Even more than this, one rises by means of these qualities to the level of "the image of G-d," that lofty but achievable goal and ultimate gift of our Creator.

It is written about both Enoch (Genesis 5:24) and Noah (Genesis 6:9) that they "walked with G-d," but to Abraham G-d said, "Walk before Me and be perfect" (Genesis 17:1). The Zohar finds fault with Noah, in that his self-nullification before G-d may have been too great, evidenced by his not pleading on behalf of his generation, whereas Abraham pleaded for the wicked cities of Sodom and Gemorah and Moses for the People after the sin of the golden calf (Zohar 1:254). Though all three men were righteous, their willingness to reach out and save others was not equal. Walking "before G-d" alludes to Abraham's level of devotion and sense of responsibility for rectifying the world.

The three levels of faith, self-nullification and love all manifest in the life of Abraham, the first Jew, as he pioneered a new path in the recognition and consciousness of G-d. Abraham is called in the Midrash "Eitan Haezrachi"; "Haezrachi" can also be read as "the one who plants seeds in the future." Every action of Abraham not only paved the way for all Jews in the future but, because of the awesome intensity and intention of his every deed, his qualities of faith, self-nullification and love were etched indelibly on all subsequent Jewish souls.

G-d's first communication to Abraham was "go [lech] for yourself, from your land, from your place of birth and from your father's house to the land I will show you" (Genesis 12:1). By giving Torah law the name halachah,meaning literally "walking," the Jewish People continue in every generation the ideal of walking with, and ultimately before, G-d. A beautiful allusion is found by multiplying the word for "love" (ahavah, 13) times that for "self-nullification" (bitul, 47); the result equals "Torah" (611). For us to be partners with G-d, we must not only learn Torah and observe the law but "become" Torah itself. By nullifying our will to His will we become clear vessels for G-d's will to manifest in our lives and the world as a whole. Just as we stand in the presence of a Torah scroll, so too we are taught to stand in the presence of a Torah scholar, considered to be a "walking Torah scroll."

A further understanding of the role G-d desires for the Jewish people is stated in the verse (Genesis 18:17-18): "And G-d said, 'Shall I conceal from Abraham what I do, now that Abraham is surely to become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall bless themselves by him?" The idea that "the nations of the earth shall bless themselves by him" points to the natural evolution of love. When love succeeds in bringing potential to fruition, one can further identify and enlighten hidden potential in others as well. This ability to bring out the best in every person and situation is the task envisioned by the prophet Isaiah when he prophesied that Israel was to be "a light unto the nations"(Isaiah 42:6; 49:6)." The key element in the fulfillment of this prophesy is love, the light of G-d revealed in the world.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
If we look into the Zohar, the mystical book of Kabbalah, there is some corroboration for some of the ideas contained in this book.

Hmmm... Isn't that interesting....

Offline Sefardic Panther

• Full JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
Stay away from apocryphal books!!! Rabbi Aqiva cursed anyone who reads these treif books because they ended up inspiring the 2 biggest religions in the world which have since sadistically oppressed, tortured and murdered Jews by the millions!!!

"Let there be a holocaust on the anti-semites!!!" - Rabbi Mordechai Friedman Shlita

http://www.youtube.com/user/SefardicPanther

Offline momofsixbabes

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 11:32:24 AM »
Stay away from apocryphal books!!! Rabbi Aqiva cursed anyone who reads these treif books because they ended up inspiring the 2 biggest religions in the world which have since sadistically oppressed, tortured and murdered Jews by the millions!!!
[/quote

Wow, I didn't know that. I don't know what Apocraphal means. Is that part of the Catholic church bible? I don't understand what that means-what are the religions you refer to?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 02:38:03 PM »

Wow, I didn't know that. I don't know what Apocraphal means. Is that part of the Catholic church bible? I don't understand what that means-what are the religions you refer to?

Apocryphal means that they are not part of the Jewish holy books yet some claim that they are. These books have lead to mistranslation of many Jewish ideas and is why Kabbalah itself is impuned. Some of the secrets of Torah were never meant to be written down because they could be used for evil purposes. The entire Oral tradition was not written till 2000 years ago.

The two religions which rose out of mistranslation of our Holy Tanach are Christianity and Islam which both claim that Torah is divine yet that their 'prophet' somehow over-ruled the words of Hashem as given to Moshe. Torah makes it clear than anyone who says such a thing is a false prophet and should be harshly dealt with.

It is wise for students of Torah to avoid apocryphal books.

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/276,533/What-is-the-Jewish-view-on-the-Apocrypha.html
What is the Jewish view on the Apocrypha?

The Apocrypha refers to books that remained outside the biblical canon, such as the Book of Maccabees, which deals with the story of Chanukah, and The Book of Ben Sira, which is a collection of Proverbs.

These books were not written with Divine inspiration and according to some contain ideas that are antithetical to true Judaism. Judaism therefore does not encourage one to read them. However, they do contain valuable info and wisdom and according to some opinions may be consulted appropriately.

See Talmud Sanhedrin 100b regarding the “external books.”

(Obviously the Christian Apocrypha is treated like all other books of Chrisitanity.)

Offline judeanoncapta

• Master JTFer
  • Rebuild it now!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 06:41:54 AM »
I have read the book of enoch and found it to be less than inspiring. The only books of the Apochrypha I like are Maccabbees I and II and the Vision of Barukhyahu ben Neryahu.
Post questions here for the ASK JUDEA TORAH SHOW

my blog: Yehudi-Nation

Who is truly wise? He who can see the future. I see tommorow today and I want to end it - Rabbi Meir Daweedh Kahana