Author Topic: Can we get a computer subforum?  (Read 2014 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Can we get a computer subforum?
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:16:34 PM »
I really think we need a computer subforum on JTF. There are so many people that are infected with viruses/malware or are not secure. We have plenty of IT guys here and I think that the cyber war on computers is just as important as the war on terrorism. Who's with me?

We could provide all kinds of articles on new threats to computers/trojans/viruses etc. etc.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
Re: Can we get a computer subforum?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:31:39 PM »
I don't have an answer for your request, I do however have a suggestion for people with OS problems. Why not try Linux, I have used it for years with no anti-virus, firewall, or anything. I have never had a problem and it is BETTER than any MS OS and FREE. All (all but a handfull) apps for it are free as well, and as good or usually better than the MS alternative. The vast majority of virus's and malware infect only MS OS. The only precaution I use is a router between the computers and the modem. Malware on Macs and Linux are very few and far between. However, I did hear on the news the other day that a worm is infecting Mac machines. I also heard it is the first known to do so.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 03:45:50 PM »
I don't have an answer for your request, I do however have a suggestion for people with OS problems. Why not try Linux, I have used it for years with no anti-virus, firewall, or anything. I have never had a problem and it is BETTER than any MS OS and FREE. All (all but a handfull) apps for it are free as well, and as good or usually better than the MS alternative. The vast majority of virus's and malware infect only MS OS. The only precaution I use is a router between the computers and the modem. Malware on Macs and Linux are very few and far between. However, I did hear on the news the other day that a worm is infecting Mac machines. I also heard it is the first known to do so.

Duh!

Ive been running a variety of Linux distros for almost 10 years now. I currently recommend Ubuntu linux and am running it here at work, and also on all my machines at home. It has been more stable than Windoze for me...

But running Linux alone isn't the answer to all the problems.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 03:58:51 PM »
This is silly.  Obviously Linux is FAR superior for security/stability... but most average users here aren't going to switch to Linux.

They just want something that their friends/associates have.. and that their office or school has... and that is the most compatible.

I really think that its easier to teach a beginning user about basic security.. than it would be to convince them to switch to Linux.  I welcome basic tips.  I too have done some REALLY stupid things in the past... and have exposed my computer to unnecessary risk... and I think that this kind of discussion could only help.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 04:24:45 PM »

It's true that windows is more prone to malware/viruses, but it's impossible to claim linux is virus free either. At my datacenter, i've seen countless boxes compromised running linux, there are security exploits in older kernels. Linux is a much better choice however.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 05:01:46 PM »
Linux is to advanced for most computer users like myself :o :laugh:
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »

Why? What do you mean 'to advanced'? It is a Operating System just like Windows and it provides a Graphical User Interface which is easier to use than Windows {IMO Gnome is far advanced to Windows GUI}. There are applications like OpenOffice which provides the same features as MS Word and Calc which provides the same spreadsheet as Excel... Then we have the browser Firefox and a ton of other free applications... I don't know why anyone would consider it 'too advanced'.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 06:59:36 PM »

Why? What do you mean 'to advanced'? It is a Operating System just like Windows and it provides a Graphical User Interface which is easier to use than Windows {IMO Gnome is far advanced to Windows GUI}. There are applications like OpenOffice which provides the same features as MS Word and Calc which provides the same spreadsheet as Excel... Then we have the browser Firefox and a ton of other free applications... I don't know why anyone would consider it 'too advanced'.

Average people dont want to use OpenOffice, etc.  Even though its just as powerful and free.  They want to use what everyone else is using.... I am not glorifying Microsoft.  Its like Betamax vs. VHS.  Betamax. Betamax was actually a higher quality standard.

Maybe this will change... I kinda hope it does... but for the time being... People will continue to request the more commonly used format.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 07:02:35 PM »
Yes, Linux is very easy to use now. There is a ton of online support forums and info as well. As a previous post mentioned, Ubuntu is probably the easiest and has the most support. You can easily boot up with a Ubuntu Linux disk and run the OS without making any changes to your computer. If you like it you can install it and next time you boot your computer it will ask if you want to boot into MS or Ubuntu. You can very easily have both OS on your computer and switch back and forth. You can run Ubuntu on very little disk space.

As far as Windows goes, I used to be very good with Vista and XP. I may still be of help for MS users, I think I can still remember most of what I used to know so if there is a MS forum I will try and help.

Offline drlmg

• Master JTFer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 07:05:03 PM »
briann

Open Office uses the same file formats. You can save and open any files that MS Office will run, plus you can save in *.pdf format, something MS will not do.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 07:06:32 PM »
Yes, Linux is very easy to use now. There is a ton of online support forums and info as well. As a previous post mentioned, Ubuntu is probably the easiest and has the most support. You can easily boot up with a Ubuntu Linux disk and run the OS without making any changes to your computer. If you like it you can install it and next time you boot your computer it will ask if you want to boot into MS or Ubuntu. You can very easily have both OS on your computer and switch back and forth. You can run Ubuntu on very little disk space.

As far as Windows goes, I used to be very good with Vista and XP. I may still be of help for MS users, I think I can still remember most of what I used to know so if there is a MS forum I will try and help.

Yes, I did the same thing.  I have a dual boot system.  But I still use my Vista 98% of the time.  I need to use software that is just not available on Ubuntu.  I use a copious amount of applications... way more than the average user.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »
briann

Open Office uses the same file formats. You can save and open any files that MS Office will run, plus you can save in *.pdf format, something MS will not do.

Microsoft would never allow this to happen.  Yes, you create any documents using Open Office, but you need to save using Microsoft format. If you save the file in native OpenOffice format, the file can not be accessed using MS Office. Its very similar to everyone using an RTF.... but most people don't do this or want to do this.

Also, I use multiple VBA macros with my office documents, so this is just not an option.

Yes... Im aware of the free pdf exporting... but I use print to PDF(Acrobat full) (which works with every application I use.)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 08:01:03 PM »
briann

Microsoft would never allow this to happen.  Yes, you create any documents using Open Office, but you need to save using Microsoft format. If you save the file in native OpenOffice format, the file can not be accessed using MS Office. Its very similar to everyone using an RTF.... but most people don't do this or want to do this.

Also, I use multiple VBA macros with my office documents, so this is just not an option.

Yes... Im aware of the free pdf exporting... but I use print to PDF(Acrobat full) (which works with every application I use.)

Actually OO allows you to save to MSWORD .DOC format... I have used this to prepare documents in my office using OpenOffice and exporting to MS DOC format. For most of my documents this is just perfect. And I can also generate PDF output easily.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
briann

Actually OO allows you to save to MSWORD .DOC format... I have used this to prepare documents in my office using OpenOffice and exporting to MS DOC format. For most of my documents this is just perfect. And I can also generate PDF output easily.

Yes, thats what I meant when I said:  you need to save using Microsoft format. 

Online angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2009, 08:58:19 PM »
I miss the good old days when Linux was hard to use and wouldn't install on many computers.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »
Mac osx leopard blows away everything else including linux. While it's true linux is free and apple is not cheap, their is no question the apple is more reliable and less likely to run into errors or viruses. I have used linux(on a relatives computer) and of course windows and I will never switch from my mac. Their are simply zero hiccups with it.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2009, 09:51:23 PM »
Mac osx leopard blows away everything else including linux. While it's true linux is free and apple is not cheap, their is no question the apple is more reliable and less likely to run into errors or viruses. I have used linux(on a relatives computer) and of course windows and I will never switch from my mac. Their are simply zero hiccups with it.

I think that all depends on the hardware you get for Linux.  Obviously Mac will typically come with more compatible hardware, but assuming you get a well-made Linux machine with no driver issues... Linux can be nearly bulletproof. 

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2009, 10:07:50 PM »
I would love Linux to take over... but there is just no evidence of this happening... according to recent figures... Linux is still only about 1% of total HOME end-users.  (Not servers).

Mac is 8.8% and Windows is 89.9%. 

Linux is just not really growing.  I wish it were... but its not. 

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2009, 10:52:45 PM »
I only use Linux (CentOS) for my servers, I would never rely on Micro$oft for something as critical as servers. Unfortunately we're forced to use it for our exchange server and the thing has all kinds of problems, I don't even want to deal with it anymore.

I do use Ubuntu on a thumbdrive however.

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 10:56:45 PM »
I only use Linux (CentOS) for my servers, I would never rely on Micro$oft for something as critical as servers. Unfortunately we're forced to use it for our exchange server and the thing has all kinds of problems, I don't even want to deal with it anymore.

Windows Servers are VERY unreliable.  2003 is a nightmare.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 01:09:08 PM »

Windows Servers are VERY unreliable.  2003 is a nightmare.

Yep I have to deal with small business server 2003 at work and it's got all kinds of problems, they don't pay me enough to work on that peice of [censored] but everyone wants to use word and exchange.

Offline ✡ Hindu Zionist ॐ

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • India- Most pro-Israel country of the world!
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
i'm for it!

linux is very good, you have so much freedom .. i end up doing R&D and blow the OS up with all kernel modules getting screw'd up :P

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 01:44:31 PM »
I use (X)Ubuntu but I can't get rid of window$ completely. There is the hardware issue, for example my GPU was not supported by Ubuntu 8.04 and most other distros at the time. There is still an issue with flash not working properly on x64 machines. And then of course there are games that I might want to play occasionally.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 02:00:11 PM »

Before 10 years I have had an Apple Performa. It was great. But the problem with it is, that most software is written for windows and not available for Apple.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
I use (X)Ubuntu but I can't get rid of window$ completely. There is the hardware issue, for example my GPU was not supported by Ubuntu 8.04 and most other distros at the time. There is still an issue with flash not working properly on x64 machines. And then of course there are games that I might want to play occasionally.

This is not true... Flash works just fine on my 8.10 Ubuntu 64 bit machine... I think Adobe has released Flash for 64 bit machines...

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/10/16/install-adobe-flash-player-10-in-ubuntu-804-and-810/
http://queleimporta.com/en/finally-adobe-releases-native-64-bit-flash-10-for-linux/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:26:39 PM by muman613 »