Author Topic: Punching Advice  (Read 3623 times)

Scriabin

Punching Advice
« on: March 28, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
Punch with a firm wrist and a loose fist.  NOT the other way around (as so many people do).

Tight fists lead to broken bones (and not for the other person).

Practice on something soft like a mattress until this technique becomes automatic.  Your punching power will be increased tenfold!

A loose fist gives the hand considerable shock-absorbing ability.  A firm wrist is necessary as well.  A great puncher will NEVER bend his wrist upon striking a target the way most women and boys do.

When the wrist is firm, the fist AUTOMATICALLY takes on a degree of firmness.  Moreover, keeping the fist plyable will allow for maximum punching power--A firm fist is a broken fist.

Once a person learns how to make a proper fist, he or she can then strike using all of his or her body weight.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
Re: Punching Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 08:56:25 PM »
The proper karate punch that my father taught me is to lock your fist at your side and punch with your fist at your side upside down and twist your wrist to the proper position right before it hits the target so your wrist makes a snapping noise.  The angular momentum will cause more damage to your opponent and make a harder hit.   Than rapidly return your fist to its resting position at your side when you hit your opponent or he may grab your arm and throw you. If you do it right you must hear a loud snapping noise from your wrist rotating.  Make sure you curve your hand slightly so your knuckles hit your opponent and not your fingers or you will break them. 

My father also taught me not to make the mistake of leaning into a punch.  I would do this and he would grab me and throw me onto the floor!  You must have a proper karate stance when you punch with a balanced center of gravity or your opponent can pull you down.  My father told me that the secret of fighting is maintaining a perfect Karate stance.  He would dare me to try to pull or push him down while he stood in a Karate stance and no matter how hard I pulled or pushed I was unable to move him one millimeter from his position but he was able to knock me down with little effort.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 09:06:28 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

Offline Sarah

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 05:21:55 PM »
The proper karate punch that my father taught me is to lock your fist at your side and punch with your fist at your side upside down and twist your wrist to the proper position right before it hits the target so your wrist makes a snapping noise.  The angular momentum will cause more damage to your opponent and make a harder hit.   Than rapidly return your fist to its resting position at your side when you hit your opponent or he may grab your arm and throw you. If you do it right you must hear a loud snapping noise from your wrist rotating.  Make sure you curve your hand slightly so your knuckles hit your opponent and not your fingers or you will break them. 

My father also taught me not to make the mistake of leaning into a punch.  I would do this and he would grab me and throw me onto the floor!  You must have a proper karate stance when you punch with a balanced center of gravity or your opponent can pull you down.  My father told me that the secret of fighting is maintaining a perfect Karate stance.  He would dare me to try to pull or push him down while he stood in a Karate stance and no matter how hard I pulled or pushed I was unable to move him one millimeter from his position but he was able to knock me down with little effort.

Wow, i might give that a go! Stand in front of the T.v when the football is on and pretend im stuck.......

ftfl

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 06:30:18 PM »
Apply force in the right place and anyone will go down. No matter what the stance.

If you go off balance in order to do a more powerful attack, it doesn't matter as long as you know how to flow back into a stable possition quickly. Putting your bopdy weight into a punch aallows you to put a lot more force into it, you just have to be careful.

Personally I don't like punching, if I wanted to hurt someone I'd slam them onto the floor very hard.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:33:34 PM by ftf »

Scriabin

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 07:46:42 PM »
Apply force in the right place and anyone will go down. No matter what the stance.

If you go off balance in order to do a more powerful attack, it doesn't matter as long as you know how to flow back into a stable possition quickly. Putting your bopdy weight into a punch aallows you to put a lot more force into it, you just have to be careful.

Personally I don't like punching, if I wanted to hurt someone I'd slam them onto the floor very hard.

Yes.  Picking someone up and slamming them onto the pavement is a wonderful technique.

Also, if someone has long-enough hair, you can grab a fistfull of it (two is even better) and slam their head into the object of your choosing.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
My father has a grosser technique.  He showed me how to grab someone by the ears and slam their face into your knee and then tear their ears off (nice JDL technique for nazis lol).  Thankfully he never used this one (at least I think so  ;)).  Also, it is NEVER acceptable to lean into a punch.  No karate practicer does this since if you do this for a split second, you will get defeated.   Balance must always be maintained.  THis is karate.  Boxing is different and boxers always lean into punches but they will so get defeated by a karate practicer.  But when you fight against an untrained opponent both ways will work.  Boxers are stronger though. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:07:37 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

ftf

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 06:24:54 PM »
I think I'll stick to my Judo, no need to punch someone in order to hurt them.

Scriabin

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:16:23 PM »
I think I'll stick to my Judo, no need to punch someone in order to hurt them.

Keeping one's distance from an opponent is a GOOD thing FTF.

I love Judo, but getting too close to the wrong opponent is dangerous.