Author Topic: National Security Adviser Says U.S. Safer Under Obama  (Read 584 times)

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
National Security Adviser Says U.S. Safer Under Obama
« on: May 28, 2009, 11:59:44 AM »
National Security Adviser Says U.S. Safer Under Obama

Pointing to increases in defense spending, efforts to get out of Iraq and revamp the strategy for Afghanistan, and a broad campaign to repair the U.S. reputation abroad, retired Marine Gen. James Jones said the nation is safer today than it has been.

AP

Wednesday, May 27, 2009
WASHINGTON -- President Obama's national security adviser laid out a sweeping rebuttal Wednesday to former Vice President Dick Cheney's charge that America is less safe under the new administration.

Pointing to increases in defense spending, efforts to get out of Iraq and revamp the strategy for Afghanistan, and a broad campaign to repair the U.S. reputation abroad, retired Marine Gen. James Jones said the nation is safer today than it has been. But, he added, no administration is perfect.

"I think that the former vice president knows full well that perfection is an impossible standard," said Jones, adding that the U.S. can only do everything it can "to keep threats at bay and as far away from our shores as possible."

In recent speeches, Cheney has condemned Obama for ordering the shutdown of the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and banning certain harsh interrogation methods for suspected terrorists. Overturning those Bush administration programs, he said, has made the country less safe.

Jones, speaking to an Atlantic Council forum, countered that, "I firmly believe that the United States is not only safe, but will be more secure, and the American people are increasingly safer because of the president's leadership that he has displayed consistently over the last four months both at home and abroad."

Jones said that Guantanamo has served as a recruitment tool for insurgents, and as a result has probably created more terrorists than it detained.

Asked about the administration's new strategy for the Afghanistan war, Jones acknowledged that "the jury is still out" on whether the U.S. and its allies will be able to meet all their goals to improve the country's security, economy and governance. While he said the infusion of 21,000 more troops, combined with efforts to beef up the Afghan army and police, will improve security, he was less certain about the more elusive improvements to the economy and governance.

"We should know within a year if this strategy is going to be successful," said Jones, a former commandant of the Marine Corps and head of U.S. European Command.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Re: National Security Adviser Says U.S. Safer Under Obama
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »
I beg to differ.

Offline SavetheWest

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 01:08:53 PM »
They are really saying some stupid things.  If there is an attack, they are going to eat those words.  I'm sure the Obamunists will say he meant to say it's safer, but that was no guarantee we would not be attacked. 

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:55:10 PM »
Hi ag337.

Lies, lies and more lies compliments of Obama and his administration. Before Obama got elected he promised in his very own words he was going to
quote " Do away with useless missle defense systems " and " cut  billions on defense."
I don't see how that will keep us safe. One other thing that really gives me cause for concern is the fact that in Obama's book ( Dreams of my father )
and correct me if it's not the right book - he claims he will  " stand with the muslims should the political winds shift into an ugly direction."
Let us keep praying that Obama is impeached and replaced with someone who is befitting to run our Country, and keep us safe in the event of a major war.

Shalom & G-d Bless  -  Dox

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:52:48 PM »
Dox,

Everything you have said is true.
And he did make that statement about "standing with the Muslims should the political winds shift"; I just don't know or don't care in which one of his autobiographies he made that statement.

As for this National Security Advisor stating that we are safer under the Obama Administration; you, myself, and probably most of the members on this forum know that is complete and utter garbage.

But, what did we expect him to say?
After all, he works for our inept President, so, he will say whatever Obama and his cronies want him to say to keep up their charade.

Believe me, that when an act of terrorism that is equal to or greater in taking the lives of innocent Americans, as 9/11 was; then we will hear that somehow it was Bush's fault for not securing the country before his tenure was over or some other trash talk to the same effect.