Author Topic: Rocked by guilt, New Yorker returns marble stone to Jerusalem's Old City  (Read 347 times)

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Rocked by guilt, New Yorker returns marble stone to Jerusalem's Old City

Read more: "Rocked by guilt, New Yorker returns marble stone to Jerusalem's Old City" - http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_worl ... HNbeBolE&A

News Wire Services

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 4:00 AM

A guilt-ridden New Yorker has returned a massive marble stone he grabbed from an excavation site in Jerusalem's Old City 12 years ago.

"Rather than remind me of the prayer for Jerusalem, I am reminded of the mistake I made when I removed the stone from its proper place in Israel," the sorry tourist wrote. "I am asking for your forgiveness."

The 46-pound hunk of a 9th-century marble column disappeared from an Israeli Antiquities Authority dig in 1997.

Several weeks ago, the authority received an e-mail from a New York priest who requested forgiveness on behalf of the man, who is a member of his congregation.

The stone was returned this week with a letter from the unidentified stone thief, who said he was given it by an Israeli tour guide.

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
What I want to know is how do you take a 46lb. stone without anyone knowing while you are on a guided tour.

He had to have some pretty big pockets.
LOL!!!