Author Topic: Siege of Belgrade - 1456  (Read 5206 times)

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
Siege of Belgrade - 1456
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:28:51 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Belgrade

Siege of Belgrade

The Siege of Belgrade (or Nándorfehérvár) occurred from July 4 to July 22, 1456. After the fall of Constantinople in 1453, Ottoman sultan Mehmed II was rallying his resources in order to subjugate the Kingdom of Hungary. His immediate objective was the border fort (Hungarian végvár) of the town of Belgrade (in old Hungarian Nándorfehérvár). John Hunyadi, a Hungarian nobleman and warlord of Hungarian lineage, who had fought many battles against the Ottomans in the previous two decades, prepared the defense of the fortress.
The siege eventually escalated into a major battle, during which Hunyadi led a sudden counterattack that overran the Turkish camp, ultimately compelling the wounded Sultan Mehmet II to lift the siege and retreat. The siege of Belgrade has been characterized as having "decided the fate of Christendom".

Titus Dugovics the Serbian hero of the siege

The great battle

The Noon Bell

Pope Callixtus III ordered the bells of every European church to be rung every day at noon, as a call for believers to pray for the defenders of the city. However, in many countries (like England and Spanish kingdoms), news of the victory arrived before the order, and the ringing of the church bells at noon thus transformed into a commemoration of the victory. The Popes didn't withdraw the order, and Catholic (and the older Protestant) churches still ring the noon bell in the Christian world to this day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Belgrade
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Nik_Srb

• Full JTFer
Re: Siege of Belgrade - 1456
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:54:48 AM »
nice,thx for the post ^^

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:46:41 AM »
Hvala.  ;D You are welcome. :) The Serbian hero saved the fort from the muslims!  :dance:
We are giants, giants in love...and if you ask that who are we, then you must be a dwarf.

Offline Serbian Canadian

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 03:52:26 PM »
Great post. PZ, you sure like history. :clap: What happened with that History section idea?

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
Great post. PZ, you sure like history. :clap: What happened with that History section idea?

Chaim says we can post historical threads in the "General discussion".  :'(

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 03:59:21 PM »

So post them in General Discussion! What's the diffrence where the thread belongs to? The most important that it will be interesting.
I also like history :)
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »

So post them in General Discussion! What's the diffrence where the thread belongs to? The most important that it will be interesting.

Yes, but It is history of Serbia, that's why I posted it here. :)

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
Right. I mean if you have some history topic that is not specific to Serbia (or Israel or US), post it in General Discussion
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »

But I think it would be great to have a separate history section, for easier finding of stuff and more themed.
General is full of everything, so, it would be neat to have a more organized section for history.

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »

But I think it would be great to have a separate history section, for easier finding of stuff and more themed.
General is full of everything, so, it would be neat to have a more organized section for history.

Very agree. And Chaim thinks not much people want a history category, but the poll really said that 80% of JTFers want. Maybe more people should write to him? ;)

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »

Very agree. And Chaim thinks not much people want a history category, but the poll really said that 80% of JTFers want. Maybe more people should write to him? ;)

Yes, I think we really should!
Let's open the poll again!

Offline ProudAndZionist

• Master JTFer
  • PPE
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »
Or we should only write to Chaim and show him again the poll's result? ;)

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 12:55:24 PM »
OK!