Author Topic: Tattoos?  (Read 10557 times)

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
Tattoos?
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:49:42 PM »
I've heard from many sides, some people saying that it is forbidden in Judaism, and some people saying that Judaism only states that you should love how G-D made you and not ruin it.

I've heard people saying that you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetery with tattoos. But many people I know that were in the IDF have Jewish tattoos on them and I don't think that they're going to get banned. An orthodox Rabbi told me that it's mostly a old wives tale about the banning in cemeteries used to scare their children into not getting tattoos.

What is the communities take on this?

Moshe92

Re: Tattoos?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »
Tattoos of course are forbidden in Judaism. It is just a myth that Jews with tattoos cannot be buried in Jewish cemeteries. People who do much worse get buried in Jewish cemeteries. It seems strange that so many people believe that myth about the cemeteries. I once heard a gentile girl ask if holocaust survivors can be buried in Jewish cemeteries despite their tattoos.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:09:48 AM »
In the past I have heard that the righteous Jews were buried apart from the non-righteous Jews. I think that is fine. I would not want to be buried next to a pork-eating, Shabbat & Yom Tov Desecrating, reform Jew.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:33:19 AM »
What is the Jewish opinion of Gentiles getting tattoos? Is it wrong for Gentiles also?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 11:37:24 AM »
Bonesfan, as far as I know, Jews don't care what non-Jews do among themselves, as long as they don't bother Jews.  But perhaps Muman can weigh in on this as well?

Offline Muck DeFuslims

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:26:36 PM »
In the past I have heard that the righteous Jews were buried apart from the non-righteous Jews. I think that is fine. I would not want to be buried next to a pork-eating, Shabbat & Yom Tov Desecrating, reform Jew.

I'm a pork-eating, Shabbat desecrating Jew. I can understand why you wouldn't want to be buried next to me.

What do you propose be done to prevent this from happening ?  Perhaps only plots can be sold to observant Jews in specific cemeteries or sections of a cemetery ?

I'm also a Cohaine. It's my understanding that I'm not supposed to go into a cemetery or even come within a certain distance of one. I've never understood this. Are Cohanim permitted to attend the funerals of family members and friends ?

As far as tattoos go, I can't stand them. I think they're gross. I see so many attractive women with tattoos, and I always wonder if they actually think that the 'tats' improve their appearance. They're a real turn-off to me.

Moshe92

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:48:43 PM »
What is the Jewish opinion of Gentiles getting tattoos? Is it wrong for Gentiles also?

No. There is nothing that forbids gentiles from getting tattoos.

Moshe92

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
Bonesfan, as far as I know, Jews don't care what non-Jews do among themselves, as long as they don't bother Jews.  But perhaps Muman can weigh in on this as well?

Jews are expected to follow the 613 mitzvot while gentiles are expected to follow the seven laws of Noah. One of the 613 mitzvot forbids tattooing while there is nothing in the noahide laws about tattoos.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 03:58:41 PM »
Jews are expected to follow the 613 mitzvot while gentiles are expected to follow the seven laws of Noah. One of the 613 mitzvot forbids tattooing while there is nothing in the noahide laws about tattoos.
Moshe, is not the actual commandment not to get tattoos for pagan reasons or to honor the dead? (I freely admit that I don't know how religious Jews interpret that.)

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
I'm a pork-eating, Shabbat desecrating Jew. I can understand why you wouldn't want to be buried next to me.

What do you propose be done to prevent this from happening ?  Perhaps only plots can be sold to observant Jews in specific cemeteries or sections of a cemetery ?

I'm also a Cohaine. It's my understanding that I'm not supposed to go into a cemetery or even come within a certain distance of one. I've never understood this. Are Cohanim permitted to attend the funerals of family members and friends ?

As far as tattoos go, I can't stand them. I think they're gross. I see so many attractive women with tattoos, and I always wonder if they actually think that the 'tats' improve their appearance. They're a real turn-off to me.
I wish you'll start living for G-d and the hereafter.

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
It's in the bible that you shouldn't get tattoos:
“You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.” Leviticus 19:28
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 05:12:59 PM »

Hello Muck,

It is interesting that you should ask this from me today... I was reading through Chofetz Chaims Sefer {Book} of Mitzvahs with my wife... One of the commandments we read indicated that a Cohain can go to the funeral of his close relatives... I think the mitzvah is phrased like this "It is a positive commandment for a Kohain to defile himself for his close relatives"...

Let me find a reference on this mitzvah on the Internet:

http://www.ou.org/torah/tt/5761/emorlag61/specialfeatures_mitzvot.htm
DEFILING FOR RELATIVES
While a Kohen may not be defiled for an unrelated person, he must defile himself as part of mourning for a close relative (Vayikra 21:3 and Rashi). Many commentators view this mitzva as the source of a general Torah obligation to mourn (Chinukh 264).

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 06:34:54 PM »
It's in the bible that you shouldn't get tattoos:
“You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves: I am the LORD.” Leviticus 19:28
I am familiar with the verse, but Christians interpret that as meaning tattoos for pagan reasons. (I'm not trying to tell Jews to get tattoos.)

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »

You're a pork-eating, Shabbat desecrating Jew. I can't understand why I wouldn't want to be buried next to you. LOL. Think about it, if I'm buried next to you, I got you making me look like Moses for all eternity. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :::D :::D :) :) :dance: :dance: :dance:

Moshe92

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 08:29:16 PM »
Moshe, is not the actual commandment not to get tattoos for pagan reasons or to honor the dead? (I freely admit that I don't know how religious Jews interpret that.)

Here's an article about why Jews cannot get tattoos.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/631046/jewish/Why-Does-Judaism-Forbid-Tattoos.htm

Here's something I found on a forum about gentiles and tattoos.

http://www.asknoah.org/forums/showthread.php?tid=58

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
I've just made a quick search regarding this issue and apparently, in Israel, tattooed Jews are buried with their tattoo in a normal graveyard. The Rabbi said that the dead man, unfortunately for him, is buried with this sinful shame on his flesh. Ideally this person should have made teshuva and removed the tattoo while he still lived. It is also important to note that people who had been forcibly marked (mainly- people who were in the concentration camps) carry no sin and have no obligation to remove the tattoo.

Offline Joelie

• New JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 07:16:29 PM »
Despite the fact that tattoos are forbidden in Judiasm, they nowadays seem to represent a fashion statement that mirrors the dregs of society, Neo-Nazis, Gang Members, Bikers, prisioners, prostitutes etc. I was brought up to believe that "nice Jewish boys" simply did not have tattoos. I never got one simply because I'm an induvidual and dont want to be like everyone else nowadays. Also, I think for a Jew to get one would be like a slap in the face to the people who were forced to have them during the Holocaust.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »
Despite the fact that tattoos are forbidden in Judiasm, they nowadays seem to represent a fashion statement that mirrors the dregs of society, Neo-Nazis, Gang Members, Bikers, prisioners, prostitutes etc. I was brought up to believe that "nice Jewish boys" simply did not have tattoos. I never got one simply because I'm an induvidual and dont want to be like everyone else nowadays. Also, I think for a Jew to get one would be like a slap in the face to the people who were forced to have them during the Holocaust.

A Jew should not care about 'fashion statements' because we are supposed to not imitate the ways of the Goyim. This alone is a reason to not get them. Jews should be a nation apart, a holy nation of priests and priestesses.

Offline Garrett

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 06:56:10 PM »
I can't imagine ever wanting to get a tattoo. Most of the tattoos I see on people are cheesy and outdated.
The worst by far are white people who have Chinese symbols on their flesh. They look ridiculous.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
My cousin who is a boxer has huge tattoos all over his back, shoulders, arms and chest. I know somebody from Tel Aviv who has a big Jewish Star tattoo on their chest and the tattoo of the weapon he specialized in while he was in the IDF.

I remember watching the History Channel's "History of Tattoos" or something. I saw a Marine get a shield tattooed on his obliques (side abs) that said "Come back with your shield or on it" which was a Spartan slogan. This is a why I wanted to get a tattoo. Something meaningful, like the Spartan tattoo that the Marine got, or a Jewish star. But I probably wont get a tattoo. I was just looking into it.

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »
I feel tattoos are dirty.  Whenever I see anyone with them I feel they have little self respect and/or low self esteem.  Heck, today's world has become so heathenistic that not having a tattoo makes one different...  It is really sad in all honesty...
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2009, 08:42:41 PM »
I've seen people with the Magen Kahane tatooed on their arms. I'm not sure what to tell them. On one hand, they should be proud of the symbol but on the other hand they are not only desecrating their own bodies but the memory of the rav.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 01:50:33 AM »
I feel tattoos are dirty.  Whenever I see anyone with them I feel they have little self respect and/or low self esteem.  Heck, today's world has become so heathenistic that not having a tattoo makes one different...  It is really sad in all honesty...
What is wrong with a righteous Gentile getting a tattoo? A couple of devout Christian female friends of mine have tats, and they are pretty hot. ;-)

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 07:13:48 AM »
Personally, I believe that tattoos look dirty and are a defilement of G-d's beautiful creation; the human body.  It is comparable to one defacing a Rembrandt, Pollock, Van Gogh or Renoir.  When one looks at the individuals body their eyes immediately goes to the tattoo, as if it notices something that shouldn't naturally be there. 

Of course it is a personal decision to get a tattoo, righteous individual or not and doesn't effect their deeds.  I simply feel, like the Torah states, the tattoo is a sign of ancient paganism that we must do our best to avoid aping....  imo  ;o)
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »
I simply feel, like the Torah states, the tattoo is a sign of ancient paganism that we must do our best to avoid aping....  imo  ;o)
I'm referring strictly to righteous Gentiles here.