Author Topic: What A Joke: Michael Vick Signs With Philadelphia Eagles  (Read 4938 times)

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: What A Joke: Michael Vick Signs With Philadelphia Eagles
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 10:38:19 AM »
I saw the press conference, he sounded legitimately sorry.    He admits that what he did was wrong, cruel and immoral.    Granted you can say what you want about what position he was in , that to do such things was intolerable, etc etc.... but if the guy is truly repentent come on, he served his time.   He came off as very humble and very respectful in the interview.   Even for those who still won't forgive him he said he understands.   That's a nice thing to say, but I don't really understand.   He's now working with humane society and trying to clean up some of the dogfighting stuff in the inner city neighborhoods and to tell kids it's not the right thing....     To me there is not much else he can do.  I don't think his life should end just because he messed up and did something wrong, even if he is just an athlete.   He did his time, he's trying to make amends, so if someone is willing to hire him, let him get hired and try to make a better man out of himself.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 11:26:45 AM »
Michael Vick should be holding up a road sign somewhere.  The only thing he is sorry about is that he got caught, this filthy animal.

I must agree with you. I saw his face when he was on Fox this morning....he appeared to be extremely remorseful and his words were apologetic, however this was an act, and any man that has no heart for animals to begin with is a hard hearted person. If Vic had a heart he would never have been involved with the cruel suffering and death of those poor dogs.

I have not forgotten the clips on Fox News of those dogs being torn to pieces.

Michael Vick as you've stated is only sorry for being caught, and not sorry for the cruelty and ill fate of those dogs.

hard hearted people are only remorseful for themselves, that is just a sad fact.

Shalom - Dox

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »
Michael Vick should be holding up a road sign somewhere.  The only thing he is sorry about is that he got caught, this filthy animal.

I must agree with you. I saw his face when he was on Fox this morning....he appeared to be extremely remorseful and his words were apologetic, however this was an act, and any man that has no heart for animals to begin with is a hard hearted person. If Vic had a heart he would never have been involved with the cruel suffering and death of those poor dogs.

Michael Vick as you've stated is only sorry for being caught, and not sorry for the cruelty and ill fate of those dogs.

hard hearted people are only remorseful for themselves, that is just a sad fact.

Shalom - Dox

But he did admit it was cruel and unethical.  He did say he believed it was wrong what he was doing.    A lot of athletes will try to make excuses for themselves and try to say that it was regretful and stupid to do what they did (codeword:  I don't really think I was wrong but I was stupid to risk it and stupid to get caught, but refuse to admit I acted immorally).    That's not what Vick is saying.   

Yeah he was cruel and heartless before, but now he's not.    What else can he do?    Is there no repentance for a person because he's an athlete?   How can you say he's not sincere, wouldn't only G-d know that for sure if he was or wasn't?      He did terrible things, but so do lot's of people, and they do far worse than this.  But most people do not get punished/do not realize their going astray and sincerely stop/repent for it.    I give him credit for changing himself.   

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »

Shalom - Dox

But he did admit it was cruel and unethical.  He did say he believed it was wrong what he was doing.    A lot of athletes will try to make excuses for themselves and try to say that it was regretful and stupid to do what they did (codeword:  I don't really think I was wrong but I was stupid to risk it and stupid to get caught, but refuse to admit I acted immorally).    That's not what Vick is saying.   

Yeah he was cruel and heartless before, but now he's not.    What else can he do?    Is there no repentance for a person because he's an athlete?   How can you say he's not sincere, wouldn't only G-d know that for sure if he was or wasn't?      He did terrible things, but so do lot's of people, and they do far worse than this.  But most people do not get punished/do not realize their going astray and sincerely stop/repent for it.    I give him credit for changing himself.   
I agree. We all make mistakes and sin, but what's to be said of those who rectify their misdoings? If Vick can't be forgiven for what he did, then how can ANY of us be forgiven for anything we've done. There are 7 steps to teshuva (Mumann you probably can cite them off hand). If he follows through and does good the rest of the way, then good. Let's wait and see before we judge them any further.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »
Kahane, you bring up a fair argument.

I suppose I should explain myself.
You are correct, I am not the Almighty, and the odds may be 1 in 100 that he is remorseful for what he has done to those dogs.

I cannot give you higher odd's in Vick's favor simply because I do not understand the act of his cruelty in the first place.

Please forgive me for being so harsh and quick to judge. I will try to work on this flaw I have.

Shalom & G-d Bless!

Dox  

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »

Shalom - Dox

I agree. We all make mistakes and sin, but what's to be said of those who rectify their misdoings? If Vick can't be forgiven for what he did, then how can ANY of us be forgiven for anything we've done. There are 7 steps to teshuva (Mumann you probably can cite them off hand). If he follows through and does good the rest of the way, then good. Let's wait and see before we judge them any further.

As much as I am apalled by what Vick did, I am given strength in the words of KWRBT and Mo today. We cannot become hard of heart and doubt every confession and apology. I did not see this apology but from the testimony I have heard here, I will say that I have softened my position against him. There is no law which says we must judge athletes by a higher standard. While it is true that because they are paid so much, given so much fame, and are role models, they should be judged higher but we all are judged at one time.

Mo, you are spot on concerning the rules of Teshuva. We are coming up to Rosh Hashanna next month and this is the time the entire world is judged.

http://www.ou.org/torah/haber/teshuva47.html

I'd like to examine the Mitzvah of Teshuvah. The  Rambam (Laws of Teshuvah chap. II;2) is traditionally quoted as saying that there are three parts to Teshuvah. If one sins and wishes to repent one must first regret what they have done. Secondly, they must commit themselves never to repeat the wrongdoing. And finally they must confess orally the sin they had committed.

Closer examination of the Rambam reveals five steps to Teshuvah not necessarily including the three which are traditionally understood.

"What is Teshuvah?

One must abandon the sin."

The first step in Teshuvah is behavioristic. The first step in recovery for an alcoholic is to stop drinking.

One can go without drinking for days and years and still be an alcoholic. "... And remove it from one's mind." A move inward from deed to thought. Not only must one stop doing the sin but as a second step one must also stop fantasizing and obsessing with it. "... and conclude in one's heart that they will not repeat the sin..."

The Rambam has taken us another step inward, from mind to heart. In the process of integrating a new lifestyle, intellectual resolve does not suffice. Conclusions must travel from mind to heart, from intellect to emotion. "... and one should regret what they have done."

The actual word used in the Rambam is not regret but Vayitnachem . Regret is actually an impossible translation for in fact our sinner has already regretted what they have done. I would like to suggest that the correct translation would be "and one should deal with what they have done." Even after one has seemingly cleansed themselves from a sin behavioristically, intellectually and emotionally there is still work to be done.

If we wish to grow we must look inward and ask ourselves what made us do this sin to begin with. What need or insecurity were we fulfilling. For those of us who speak negatively about others, even though we know it's wrong, we must ask ourselves, why? After we have eradicated the sin we are in a position to ask this question and get down to the very essence of our beings and try to figure out what makes us tick.

At this point we are no longer dealing with what we do but rather with what we are. This can be a very doubtful and uncomfortable time. It is not as black and white as just looking at our deeds. It is here that the Rambam adds a commentary that pierces the heart of the sinner. If you have gone through the process I have prescribed "He who knows the most hidden things will testify that the sinner will never return to this sin again." This is the ultimate in reassurance and closure. God's testimonial to what we have accomplished and His reassurance that we have changed. Finally "We must say with our lips that which we have done with our hearts." I think the epitome of closure and resolve is when we can verbally admit that which we have done.

In short the Rambam does not put forth a formula for erasure and forgiveness but rather a formula for change and growth. The sculpture has been repaired and according to the Talmud actually improved. We are ready to stand before God, to be picked up and admired, even scrutinized and judged as we enter our new challenge on the road to shleimut- perfection.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Gah! Not again. He should've been locked away forever.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Moijea

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 12:59:48 AM »
I'll believe he is truly repentant when he gives 1/2 of his earnings to help take care of abandoned pit bulls, etc.
The Price of Freedom, . . . . courage.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 01:02:11 AM »
I'll believe he is truly repentant when he gives 1/2 of his earnings to help take care of abandoned pit bulls, etc.

So anybody that's ever committed a sin or crime has to devote %50 of their wages to the opposite idea?

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 04:00:45 PM »
   Actually, last week's parasha discusses Tzaduka. People are supposed to give 10%-20% of their income to tzaduka. They are usually not allowed to give more than 20%, however, they are permitted to if it is for repentance. I believe in second chances, but none of these players should have had even a first chance to make millions off of my tax money for a game that I hate. If he continues to gives half of his multi-million dollar earnings to this charity, I will have to give him benefit of the serious doubt, but history shows that he will probably end up just doing something stupid again. Look at Lionel Tate.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Moijea

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »

So anybody that's ever committed a sin or crime has to devote %50 of their wages to the opposite idea?

Its called R-E-S-T-I-T-U-T-I-O-N, and he can afford 50%.
The Price of Freedom, . . . . courage.

Offline Minuteman

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 08:15:36 PM »
Michael Vick isn't someone who gave in temptation and made sinful mistakes.  If someone steals, drinks heavily, does drugs, and the like; even though they are sins, they are also mistakes people make.  They are mistakes that can be rectifited and sometimes good people do these things out of temptation.  Michael Vick on the other hand involved himself in torturing and killing innocent animals for his own personal pleasure.  He enjoyed watching these terrified animals rip each other appart in the most violent ways imaginable and he enjoyed it.  In fact he said that he didn't do anything wrong when confronted about it.  He  tortured animals to death for fun.  This is someone who is very evil and you can tell when you look into his face.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2009, 08:29:38 PM »
Only time will tell if the words match the actions.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2009, 08:34:37 PM »
Only time will tell if the words match the actions.

I have to reluctantly agree. I just hope he doesn't do anything else hideous and if he commits more crimes that he is caught before he can do too much damage.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline MarZutra

• Ultimate JTFer
    • BLOODBATH OF THE LEFT
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
This piece of sub human offal should have been put away for a very long time and added to the Texas chain gang.  This fellow is a sick animal.  I have more respect for the dog than I do for this savage.  
"‘Vehorashtem/Numbers 33:53’: When you burn out the Land’s inhabitants, you will merit to bestow upon your children the Land as an inheritance. If you do not burn them out, then even if you conquer the Land, you will not merit to allot it to your children as an inheritance." - Ovadiah ben Yacov Sforno; Italian Rabbi, Biblical Commentator, Philosopher and Physician.  1475-1550.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2009, 09:08:39 PM »
Michael D**k (ys"vz) is truly the worst kind of scum of the earth. He tortured and murdered innocent, defenseless animals in the name of "black culture". Mm-hmm.

I'll tell you when D**k should be allowed to play football again. After he's been hung from his neck by a rope and beaten with a baseball bat like a pinata, hooked up to car batteries, had a sack of bricks tied to his neck and thrown into a lake for a few days, and had his teeth pulled out one-by-one, without anesthesia, while his head is in a vise, I'll consider allowing him to play football again.

May this human sarcoma cell contract antibiotic-resistant syphilis soon and give it to all his family members.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 09:15:57 PM »
I saw the press conference, he sounded legitimately sorry.    He admits that what he did was wrong, cruel and immoral.    Granted you can say what you want about what position he was in , that to do such things was intolerable, etc etc.... but if the guy is truly repentent come on, he served his time.   He came off as very humble and very respectful in the interview.   Even for those who still won't forgive him he said he understands.   That's a nice thing to say, but I don't really understand.   He's now working with humane society and trying to clean up some of the dogfighting stuff in the inner city neighborhoods and to tell kids it's not the right thing....     To me there is not much else he can do.  I don't think his life should end just because he messed up and did something wrong, even if he is just an athlete.   He did his time, he's trying to make amends, so if someone is willing to hire him, let him get hired and try to make a better man out of himself.
KWR, I don't want to be disrespectful to you but come on... this is a nasty, vile schvartze cockroach. How many women do you think this pig has raped, and gotten away with? He's gonna say whatever taqqiyah is necessary to get him a lenient sentence and forgiveness from the sports junkies of America, and unfortunately they all bought it. This piece of Amalek shouldn't have been born to begin with (normally I am 100% against abortion, but if we had foreknown that his herpes-infested crack-fiend mama would have given birth to the monstrosity that Michael D**k [yimach schmo] is, I would have emptied out my life savings to pay her to go make an appointment with a saline-filled vacuum cleaner). Yeah, I suppose he could repent (if G-d has not irrevocably locked his heart into evil a la Pharaoh), but come on, what are the odds of that happening? This guy desperately needs to be given a nice, pretty wig, high-heel shoes, and saline injections in his buttocks before being thrown to the janjaweed militias in southern Sudan.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
Why on Earth did the Philadelphia Eagles hire him? Do they condone dog  fighting?

Something stinks! Giving him the oppertunity to make Millions again is an outrage, especially after his criminal activity was exposed.

I just don't understand this.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 09:54:27 PM »
Why on Earth did the Philadelphia Eagles hire him? Do they condone dog  fighting?

Something stinks! Giving him the oppertunity to make Millions again is an outrage, especially after his criminal activity was exposed.

I understand this...

The great almighty dollar and the American sports franchise... If a player has skills that will bring fans to the game, they will invest millions regardless of moral issues.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2009, 09:55:16 PM »
In case McNabb gets injured or something, the Eagles needed to be sure they haD a vicious QB as a replacement  ;D

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »

I understand this...

The great almighty dollar and the American sports franchise... If a player has skills that will bring fans to the game, they will invest millions regardless of moral issues.

That's sad Muman, it sends out a bad message to others who may be involved in illegal activities. They think if they get caught it's no big deal and their jobs will be there for them regardless.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2009, 10:20:34 PM »

I understand this...

That's sad Muman, it sends out a bad message to others who may be involved in illegal activities. They think if they get caught it's no big deal and their jobs will be there for them regardless.

Im old enough to have become jaded by the media and sports collectives. There is a cycle where a celebrity goes through wrongdoing, a period of apology, then he or she is accepted back into their old position. This happened with politicians, rock stars, athletes, celebrities and others. It is outragreous when a celebrity does bad, they go to rehab, then they are accepted back.

Usually this ends up teaching a mixed message. Some people can get away with doing wrong, as long as they are doing what the system wants them to do.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2009, 01:46:00 AM »
There's a difference between the average immoral celeb and this monstrous ape Vick. Michael D**k savagely tortured innocent animals for kicks. He is the lowest of the low in my opinion. If he can treat defenseless animals this way, what do you think he could do (and probably already has) to human beings?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2009, 01:48:13 AM »
There's a difference between the average immoral celeb and this monstrous ape Vick. Michael D**k savagely tortured innocent animals for kicks. He is the lowest of the low in my opinion. If he can treat defenseless animals this way, what do you think he could do (and probably already has) to human beings?

No evidence he treated humans that way.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2009, 01:59:24 AM »
He's a gorilla ape-baboon. Apes can't refrain from raping at will, especially whites, but more often than not their fellow blacks. Anyone who is cruel to the kind is going to be cruel to all kind and decent people. Even if he ONLY tortured animals though, that would be bad enough.