Author Topic: The Passion Of Christ  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
The Passion Of Christ
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
I would like to hear the Jewish view on the film
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Re: The Passion Of Christ
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 08:24:28 PM »
Suffice it to say that JTF is not a fan of Mel Gibson. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »
Terrible... Antisemitic... Feeds on stereotypical antisemitic idea that Jews were guilty of deicide...

I boycotted this movie and asked everyone I know to do so...

What do you think Jews would think about this garbage?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline tron77

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »
never bothered to watch certainly wouldn't give a penny to that scum.

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »
Terrible... Antisemitic... Feeds on stereotypical antisemitic idea that Jews were guilty of deicide...

Well it certainly portrayed the Jews as wicked priests that asked the Romans to Kill Jesus, and made Herod out to be a fag.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:34:30 PM »
Never watched it..

I might just to see what the fuzz is all about

but I wont in anyway pay for it
so don't worry. :laugh: :laugh:

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 08:39:20 PM »

Well it certainly portrayed the Jews as wicked priests that asked the Romans to Kill Jesus, and made Herod out to be a fag.

Why would any Jewish person want to watch such BS? Deicide is a serious reason for much of the barbarism of Christianity. The Inquisition and the Pogroms of Europe were inspired by the false claim that Jews killed the christian G-d. The lunacy of such a claim is immense... There is no way that anyone can kill G-d... Those christians who believe this are guilty of idol worship and should be put to death themselves..

This is one reason the NT is one of the greatest sources of antisemitism.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 08:40:36 PM »
My sister's boyfriend brought it over to watch because he had a DVD of it, and I watched it with him. I'm not really that familiar with Jewish stereotypes because I wasn't raised around anti-Semites. My family was always pro-Israel, so I couldn't really pick up on the stereotypes as well as someone from a Jewish background could or someone from an anti-Semitic background could. I will say I found it to be way too "artsy" and not really as good of a film as people made it out to be.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 08:42:30 PM »
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/passion-history-who-killed-jesus/

Mel Gibson’s film fits comfortably within the history of Christian anti-Semitism.

Mel Gibson’s film, “The Passion of Christ,” has already stirred a lot of passions and heated debate. What’s all the fuss about? After all, isn’t it just a movie and we all know the ending already? Clearly there are much bigger issues at stake. By examining the implications of the story of the Passion, we can begin to understand why so many are justifiably apprehensive about the impact this movie might have.

THE ROOTS OF CHRISTIAN ANTI-SEMITISM

The Passion remains the central event of Christianity and the role of the Jews in this story serves as the foundation of the early Christian view of Judaism and the Jews.

Here is a brief overview of the Jewish role in the Passion story as portrayed in the Gospel. The corrupt priesthood, feeling threatened by Jesus’ popularity, conspire against him and have him arrested by the Romans. A Jewish mob further conspires to keep him imprisoned and ensure his torture and crucifixion. As he is led to his death, he is further abused by a Jewish mob.

The Jewish role in the story is overwhelmingly negative and culminates in the ultimate crime: deicide—the murder of G-d. The Gospel is uniformly hostile toward the Jews, while making the Roman procurator, Pontius Pilate, almost completely guiltless. After being “forced” by the Jewish mob to sentence Jesus to death, Pilate symbolically washes his hands and pronounces: “I am not responsible for the death of this man! This is your doing. The whole crowd [the Jews] answered back: Let his blood be on our heads and the heads of our children.” (Matthew 27:24-25)

Paul, the most important personality in the history of the church, makes a special point of blaming the Jews for the death of Jesus: ”[the Jews] killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets, and persecuted us. How displeasing they are to G-d! How hostile they are to all men. They even tried to stop us from preaching to the Gentiles…This is the last full measure of the sins they have always committed. And now G-d’s wrath has at last fallen upon them.” (Thessalonians 1,2)

Probably the most damning of all accusations appears in John 8:44: “You are the children of your father, the Devil, and you want to follow your father’s desires. From the very beginning he was a murderer.”

The negative role that the Jew plays in the Passion served to create a solid foundation on which later Christian anti-Semitism would be built.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
Muman, please... cool it. All of Christianity is not responsible for Mel Gibson's Nazism, and nor is the NT. If you want to discuss this offline, it is fine, but please be a little more respectful on here.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 08:47:09 PM »
Muman, please... cool it. All of Christianity is not responsible for Mel Gibson's Nazism, and nor is the NT. If you want to discuss this offline, it is fine, but please be a little more respectful on here.

Do you deny that Christianity is one of the major sources of historical antisemitism? I have several books and sources which I can cite which explain this phenomenon.

I am incensed at this movie and believe that it was a major setback for Jewish/Christian relations...

I am sorry if my opinion offends anyone.. It is not my intention.. But from a Jewish perspective The Passion is drek...

Offline takebackourtemple

• Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 08:47:31 PM »
never bothered to watch certainly wouldn't give a penny to that scum.

Same here.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 08:49:06 PM »
We Jews, (especially us JTF Jews), are not exactly Mel's target audience.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 08:52:07 PM »
Do you deny that Christianity is one of the major sources of historical antisemitism? I have several books and sources which I can cite which explain this phenomenon.
I believe that savage, barbarous peoples used Christianity as a convenient excuse to perpetuate Jew-hatred they already had. Christianity is a Judeocentric faith. None of the biblical fathers of Christianity promoted the murder of Jews.

I am incensed at this movie and believe that it was a major setback for Jewish/Christian relations...
Nobody on JTF is defending that rotten movie or its moronic Nazi creator.

I am sorry if my opinion offends anyone.. It is not my intention.. But from a Jewish perspective The Passion is drek...
Do you really think JTF members would support this film?
This thread should never have been started to begin with, for sure, but still...

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
Jesus was criticizing a very specific group of people who he felt were hypocritical. He wasn't condemning Jewish people as a whole. I will not get into any more detail than that about it because I don't really think this debate belongs on a Jewish forum and I want to be respectful of the Jewish people here. It's true that evil people under the umbrella of Christianity used that and other verses to attempt to justify their evil anti-Semitic actions and beliefs.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 08:59:39 PM »
Jesus was criticizing a very specific group of people who he felt were hypocritical. He wasn't condemning Jewish people as a whole. I will not get into any more detail than that about it because I don't really think this debate belongs on a Jewish forum and I want to be respectful of the Jewish people here. It's true that evil people under the umbrella of Christianity used that and other verses to attempt to justify their evil anti-Semitic actions and beliefs.
Agreed.

Offline CorrieDeservedIt

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 09:00:39 PM »
Jesus was criticizing a very specific group of people who he felt were hypocritical. He wasn't condemning Jewish people as a whole. I will not get into any more detail than that about it because I don't really think this debate belongs on a Jewish forum and I want to be respectful of the Jewish people here. It's true that evil people under the umbrella of Christianity used that and other versos to attempt to justify their evil anti-Semitic actions and beliefs.

I still don't see how any christian can over look what G-d said in genesis 12:3

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »
Why would any Jewish person want to watch such BS? Deicide is a serious reason for much of the barbarism of Christianity. The Inquisition and the Pogroms of Europe were inspired by the false claim that Jews killed the christian G-d. The lunacy of such a claim is immense... There is no way that anyone can kill G-d... Those christians who believe this are guilty of idol worship and should be put to death themselves..

This is one reason the NT is one of the greatest sources of antisemitism.

The Romans temporarily killed Jesus' body which then, according to Christian belief, he returned to and lived in again. So really I don't understand the centuries of complete and total morons who accused Jews of "deicide", especially when at no time was G-d the Father (which I think is equivalent to Hashem), was ever said to die.

Your post does concern me though. Do you think that all Christians should be put to death if Noahide laws were put into place, because we're "idol worshippers", or would you tolerate us as long as we didn't intend to harm Jews or Noahides?

Jesus was criticizing a very specific group of people who he felt were hypocritical. He wasn't condemning Jewish people as a whole. I will not get into any more detail than that about it because I don't really think this debate belongs on a Jewish forum and I want to be respectful of the Jewish people here. It's true that evil people under the umbrella of Christianity used that and other versos to attempt to justify their evil anti-Semitic actions and beliefs.

I still don't see how any christian can over look what G-d said in genesis 12:3

I agree, that is VERY important!

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 09:03:30 PM »
Ok, I agree with everything, but I just want to say that from a movie perspective, the violence was well done.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 09:04:30 PM »
Agreed.

Thanks Bones :) You always make really great posts on basic Christian doctrine too which I almost always have agreed with.

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 09:06:13 PM »
especially when at no time was G-d the Father (which I think is equivalent to Hashem), was ever said to die.
Actually Rubystars, as you probably already know, in Christian theology the Son never really died either--just his temporary human form. As you know, in Christianity the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three uncreated, eternal natures of the same G-d. The best analogy, Ruby, for the Trinity is the human mind--the human mind has a rational, emotional, and philosophical side all at the same time, without humans being schizophrenic.

Your post does concern me though. Do you think that all Christians should be put to death if Noahide laws were put into place, because we're "idol worshippers", or would you tolerate us as long as we didn't intend to harm Jews or Noahides?
If I understand it correctly the Trinity is idolatry for Jews, but not necessarily Gentiles because it is still one G-d.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »
That's correct Bones, we only believe in one God.

Offline Moijea

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 09:08:26 PM »

AMEN to that Ruby, thanks for posting this. I don't know ANY Christians who thought of it as an anti-semitic film, that's not why we like it, that's not why we think it was one of the greatest films Christendom has ever made. In fact, I have NEVER known an anti-semitic Christian. Those that are belong to some stupid sect or something, and the Christians I know would set them straight if they EVER heard that trash.
The Price of Freedom, . . . . courage.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 09:10:22 PM »
Do ALL Christians believe in the virgin Mary story?

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »

AMEN to that Ruby, thanks for posting this. I don't know ANY Christians who thought of it as an anti-semitic film, that's not why we like it, that's not why we think it was one of the greatest films Christendom has ever made. In fact, I have NEVER known an anti-semitic Christian. Those that are belong to some stupid sect or something, and the Christians I know would set them straight if they EVER heard that trash.

The film probably was intended to be anti-Semitic, considering the director's very clear anti-Semitic leanings. Also the Jewish people who saw it claimed that it showcased some typical Jewish stereotypes. I'm going to take their word for it on that one even though I wasn't able to recognize them because I have not been raised to recognize such things. So I think the film probably was anti-Semitic.