Author Topic: Plans for the High Holidays?  (Read 3673 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Plans for the High Holidays?
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »
Shalom my Jewish Brothers and Sisters!

It is that time of year again and I can hardly believe it. Yes, another year has passed {too quickly, IMHO} and we are in the final Parashas of the Holy Torah. The High Holidays starts the evening of September 18th with Erev Rosh Hashanah and runs till Yom Kippur on September 28th. The days between are called the Ten Days of Repentence.

I am so joyous that I am able to take all 10 days off from work so that I may engage in some serious teshuva work. I will attend Shacharit {morning} minyans and possibly some Minchah {afternoon} minyans during these 10 days. I will spend some of the time with my local minyan and some with my local Chabad. I will have Yom Kippur by my minyan at the local Jewish university.

I am interested in what some of my friends here on JTF will be doing for the High Holidays?

MUMAN613

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Moshe92

Re: Plans for the High Holidays?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »
I've been reading torah on Rosh Hashanah every year since my Bar Mitzvah. I'm doing the same this year. The trope is different for Rosh Hashanah, but it's easy to learn.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 11:32:16 PM »
I've been reading torah on Rosh Hashanah every year since my Bar Mitzvah. I'm doing the same this year. The trope is different for Rosh Hashanah, but it's easy to learn.

AWESOME!

I would love to hear a lovely Torah laining. I bet your excellent! We have several Persian Jews at my minyan, and some of them lain so beautifully.

I will be honored to have the Yad which I donated to the shul used for the High Holiday services.

I just discovered this site... To learn how to lain Torah with the Cantillation and Trope...

http://torahreading.dafyomireview.com/

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:27:04 AM »
I am going to be in Israel on high holidays. This wil be a great experience.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 01:45:31 AM »
A lot of davening.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »
I usually spend Rosh Hashana at the the Iranian Jewish Synagogue in Great Neck with my family.  For Yom Kippur, we usually go to the makeshift Iranian Jewish Synagogue at the Colbeh Restaurant in the Andrew hotel.  But I don't know where I'll be going this year for Yom Kippur. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 09:57:43 AM »
I usually spend Rosh Hashana at the the Iranian Jewish Synagogue in Great Neck with my family.  For Yom Kippur, we usually go to the makeshift Iranian Jewish Synagogue at the Colbeh Restaurant in the Andrew hotel.  But I don't know where I'll be going this year for Yom Kippur. 

I know where you won't be going on Yom Kippur 

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:24:36 AM »

Mo2388, I don't go to McDonald's even when it's not Yom Kippur.  I also encourage everyone here to never go there as well.  Why would you put that gross, unhealthy food into your bodies?  Leave it for the black racist Obama supporters!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 12:15:07 PM »
I don't know since I am in unfamiliar confines, but hopefully will find a minyan to go to, or maybe stay by friends in another area or another state, and just stay over as a guest for rosh hashana and go with them to shul wherever they go.   It is a LOT of davening, but overall a pretty good experience.

Moshe92

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »

AWESOME!

I would love to hear a lovely Torah laining. I bet your excellent! We have several Persian Jews at my minyan, and some of them lain so beautifully.

I will be honored to have the Yad which I donated to the shul used for the High Holiday services.

I just discovered this site... To learn how to lain Torah with the Cantillation and Trope...

http://torahreading.dafyomireview.com/

It seems like there's an almost infinite number of different tropes. There's an administrator from the Hebrew forum who is a Yemenite Jew, and he made some videos of himself reading torah with a Yemenite trope. Here is one of his videos.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:16:58 PM »

Mo2388, I don't go to McDonald's even when it's not Yom Kippur.  I also encourage everyone here to never go there as well.  Why would you put that gross, unhealthy food into your bodies?  Leave it for the black racist Obama supporters!

Just fooling around.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:08:02 PM »

It seems like there's an almost infinite number of different tropes. There's an administrator from the Hebrew forum who is a Yemenite Jew, and he made some videos of himself reading torah with a Yemenite trope. Here is one of his videos.

Thanks for sharing that Moshe!   I love the beautiful sound of the Teymani davening.  I want to learn to leyn Torah like they do... God willing I will eventually learn that and bust it out in an ashkenazi shul when called up for an aliyah.

Moshe92

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 10:30:45 PM »

Thanks for sharing that Moshe!   I love the beautiful sound of the Teymani davening.  I want to learn to leyn Torah like they do... G-d willing I will eventually learn that and bust it out in an ashkenazi shul when called up for an aliyah.

That would be very cool.  :)