Author Topic: Who were the Nabataeans?  (Read 632 times)

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
Who were the Nabataeans?
« on: September 02, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »
I've been reading up about Herod The Great and wikipedia claims he was a Nabataean. I've read about Nabataeans and it looks like they built cities into mountains and what not, I seen a few pictures from Jordan and the Negev Desert in Israel. What was their status with the original Israelites?

I can barely find any information about them.

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
Re: Who were the Nabataeans?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 05:24:21 PM »
Herod's mother was Nabatean and his father was an Edomite, if I am not mistaken.

Nabateans were pretty much the precursor to Arabs.  They spoke a language similar to Arabic.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 05:36:29 PM »
Herod's mother was Nabatean and his father was an Edomite, if I am not mistaken.

Nabateans were pretty much the precursor to Arabs.  They spoke a language similar to Arabic.

Weren't the Arabs originally from the Arabian peninsula? I thought they had little presence until the Islamic revolution other than a few nomads (like the bedouin)

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 05:43:03 PM »

Weren't the Arabs originally from the Arabian peninsula? I thought they had little presence until the Islamic revolution other than a few nomads (like the bedouin)

The Nabateans were the Northern Arabs, and although they did descend from Arabia, the Nabateans I am pretty sure were the descendants of traders who made their way north.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 05:47:51 PM »

The Nabateans were the Northern Arabs, and although they did descend from Arabia, the Nabateans I am pretty sure were the descendants of traders who made their way north.

I see, I didn't think Arabs ever had a presence in the Levant. I figured it was mainly Israelites, Canaanites, Moabites, Amalekites, Amorites, etc.

Offline AsheDina

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • PSALMS 129:5 "ZION" THE Cornerstone.
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »
Is this Petra in Israel??
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל
I endorse NO Presidential Candidates