Author Topic: Rosh Hashanna Falls out on Shabbat this year  (Read 7536 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Rosh Hashanna Falls out on Shabbat this year
« on: September 03, 2009, 12:01:33 PM »
I don't know why I didn't notice this earlier...

Shabbat falls out on Shabbat this year... It starts at nightfall on Friday and runs till Sunday night {Rosh Hashanna 2}

http://www.hebcal.com/hebcal/?year=2009&v=1&month=9&yt=G&nh=on&nx=on&s=on&i=off&vis=on&set=on&c=off&geo=zip&zip=&m=72&.cgifields=nx&.cgifields=nh&.s=Get+Calendar

http://www.hebcal.com/holidays/rosh-hashana.html

The one problem with this is that at an Orthodox Shul we do not blow the Shofar on Shabbat because this would violate the laws prohibiting carrying the instrument on Shabbat.

http://www.jewfaq.org/holiday2.htm

The shofar is a ram's horn which is blown somewhat like a trumpet. One of the most important observances of this holiday is hearing the sounding of the shofar in the synagogue. A total of 100 notes are sounded each day. There are four different types of shofar notes: tekiah, a 3 second sustained note; shevarim, three 1-second notes rising in tone, teruah, a series of short, staccato notes extending over a period of about 3 seconds; and tekiah gedolah (literally, "big tekiah"), the final blast in a set, which lasts (I think) 10 seconds minimum. Click the shofar above to hear an approximation of the sound of Tekiah Shevarim-Teruah Tekiah. The Bible gives no specific reason for this practice. One that has been suggested is that the shofar's sound is a call to repentance. The shofar is not blown if the holiday falls on Shabbat.

http://www.vbm-torah.org/roshandyk/rh67rya.htm

The Sound of a Silent Shofar:
The Problem of Rosh Ha-shana which Falls on Shabbat
By Harav Yehuda Amital
Adapted by Rav Ronnie Ziegler
Translated by David Silverberg

Each year on Rosh Ha-shana, we fervently recite the verse from Tehillim (89:16), "Ashrei ha-am yodei terua," "Fortunate is the nation that knows the blast [of the shofar]." Rashi explains the verse as follows:

"[The Israelite nation is fortunate] in that they know how to APPEASE (leratzot) their Creator on Rosh Ha-shana by blowing [the shofar] and reciting in conjunction with it [the three special blessings of the Mussaf Amida:] Malkhuyot, Zikhronot and Shofarot."

Rashi draws his explanation of the verse from Yalkut Shimoni (Parashat Emor 645, as well as Parashat Pinchas 782 and Tehillim 840; see also Vayikra Rabba 29, Pesikta De-Rav Kahana 23, and Midrash Tehillim, mizmor 41). The Midrash reads:

"Rabbi Yoshiya said: It is written, 'Fortunate is the nation that knows the blast' - do the gentile nations not know how to sound the blast? How many horns and trumpets they have! Rather, fortunate is the nation that knows how to PERSUADE (lefatot) its Creator by means of a shofar blast. And when? In the seventh month [i.e. Tishrei]."

According to Rashi, when the midrash says the Jewish People "persuade" the Almighty on Rosh Ha-shana, it means that they appease Him by means of the shofar blowing and the accompanying recitation of Malkhuyot, Zikhronot and Shofarot. If so, then what happens on Rosh Ha-shana which falls on Shabbat, when we do not blow the shofar? How do we appease the Almighty then?

The Gemara (Rosh Ha-shana 29b) cites Rabba's assertion that as far as Torah law is concerned, we should blow the shofar on Rosh Ha-shana even if it occurs on Shabbat. The Sages, however, decreed that the shofar not be blown on Shabbat, as one may neglectfully carry his shofar through the public domain (which is forbidden on Shabbat) in order to practice blowing under the tutelage of an expert. The Gemara adds that this same concern prompted Chazal to cancel the mitzva of lulav when Sukkot falls on Shabbat and to delay Megilla reading when Purim occurs on Shabbat.

However, as Tosafot (Sukka 43a) note, there exists a difference in this regard between the mitzva of shofar and that of lulav. After the destruction of the First Temple, Rabban Yochanan Ben Zakai instituted that the shofar be blown on Shabbat Rosh Ha-shana in every locale where an authoritative Bet Din (rabbinic court) sat. Yet no such provision exists with regard to the mitzva of lulav; Rabban Yochanan never decreed that the mitzva of lulav be performed on Shabbat in a region with a Bet Din. (What's more, during the time of the Temple, the shofar was blown only in the Temple itself when Rosh Ha-shana fell on Shabbat, whereas the lulav was taken on Shabbat everywhere. After the destruction, however, the mitzva of lulav suddenly became more limited than that of shofar!)

Why did Rabban Yochanan draw this distinction between these two mitzvot, if the same concern motivated both decrees? Tosafot answer,

"The shofar, which serves to bring the [favorable] memory of Israel before their Father in Heaven, they [Chazal] did not want to cancel entirely."

Our original question, then, becomes even more pointed: What about us today? Why did Rabban Yochanan Ben Zakai not worry about those of us who do not have an authoritative Bet Din nearby? How do we deal with the urgent need for divine compassion? Why, on Shabbat Rosh Ha-shana, are we denied the ability to "bring our memory before our Father in Heaven" by means of the shofar?

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Rosh Hashanna Falls out on Shabbat this year
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 12:53:52 PM »
Just a side note, I prefer it on the weekend.

Moshe92

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 01:20:31 PM »
Just a side note, I prefer it on the weekend.

me too

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 02:41:51 PM »
Speaking of the High Holidays, I prefer it when Yom Kippur falls on a weekend.  I usually feel wiped out after the fast. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 03:29:28 PM »
Speaking of the High Holidays, I prefer it when Yom Kippur falls on a weekend.  I usually feel wiped out after the fast. 

I am taking an extra 2 days off from work just to recover from the YK Fast...

Yom Kippur falls out on Monday this year...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 03:32:41 PM »

The period between Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur are called the Ten Days of Teshuva (Repentance).

On Rosh Hashana, the righteous and the wicked receive their judgment. One should not see himself as wicked or be so presumptuous as to consider himself righteous. Therefore we have 10 days to improve and tip the scales to the side of righteousness. Yom Kippur is the culmination of this period.

During the Ten Days of Teshuva, Jews engage in intense introspection for the purpose of self-improvement. We become more scrupulous in the observance of mitzvot.

THE CUSTOM OF KAPAROT

If God ruled the world by strict justice, then every time a person would do something purposely wrong, a giant 100-ton weight would fall from the sky and squash him. Fortunately for us, God also rules by mercy and allows us to gain atonement.

One of the methods of atonement is through the ritual of Kaparot. This is done by taking a chicken, or money, and waving it around your head three times. The chicken is then slaughtered and given to charity (as is the money if used in place of the chicken).

The point of using a chicken is to show us the volatility of life. One minute the chicken is alive the next minute it's not. And if God had ruled by strict justice, our lives might have gone as fast as the chicken's!

This will certainly help a person understand the severity of the Ten Days of Teshuva.

While swinging the chicken (or money) above your head, say:

"This is my exchange, this is my substitute, this is my atonement. This rooster is going to die (or this money will go to charity), but I am going to a good long life and to peace."

The full text can be found in any siddur or Yom Kippur Machzor.

CHANGES IN THE PRAYERS

Havdallah is recited at the conclusion of Rosh Hashana, but only the blessing on wine and the final blessing.

If Rosh Hashana falls on Saturday night, "V'todianu" is added in the fourth blessing of the "Amidah."

The third of Tishrei, the day after Rosh Hashana, is a public fast day called Tzom Gedaliah. All the laws of the minor fast days apply. The fast begins at dawn and ends at nightfall.

There are several small but important changes in the daily prayers that should be noted.

These are the changes to be made in the "Amidah:"

* In the first blessing, we add the sentence "Zachreinu l'chaim."

* In the second blessing, we add the phrase "Mi chamocha."

* In the third blessing, we conclude with "Hamelech Hakadosh," instead of the usual "Ha'El Hakadosh." If this is not done, the entire Amidah must be repeated. (The other additions do not require one to repeat the Amidah.)

* In the 11th blessing, we conclude with "Hamelech Hamishpat," in place of "Melech Ohave Tzedekah U'mishpat."

* In the 18th blessing ("Modim"), we add the sentence "U'ch'tov l'chaim."

* In the final blessing ("Sim Shalom" or "Shalom Rav") we add the sentence "B'sefer chaim."

The prayer "Avinu Malkeinu" is said after the repetition of the "Amidah" in the morning and afternoon.

In the "Kaddish," we say "l'ailah u'l'ailah mikol," instead of the usual "l'ailah min kol."

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 03:38:54 PM »

How long is the fast?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »

How long is the fast?
In the 25 hour range.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »
No drinking anything allowed.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »
Why not put the shofar into the shul beforehand?  And then after blowing the shofar and the service ends, leave it there in the shul, so there is no danger of carrying anything....   ?

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
Why not put the shofar into the shul beforehand?  And then after blowing the shofar and the service ends, leave it there in the shul, so there is no danger of carrying anything....   ?

Pirkei Avot 1:1- ".... and make a fence for the Torah"

I am guessing this is one of those fences.

Moshe92

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 07:58:46 PM »

I heard someone say once that the shofar can't be blown on shabbat because someone may forget to bring it to the shul before shabbat.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »
Anybody here ever gone to Umman for Rosh Hashana?

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 08:33:07 PM »

Also, what if there is an eruv?   Don't people also say you CAN carry on Shabbat if there is an eruv?

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »

Also, what if there is an eruv?   Don't people also say you CAN carry on Shabbat if there is an eruv?

It depends who you hold by. In most ashkenazic communities an eruv is the green light for carrying.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »

I heard someone say once that the shofar can't be blown on shabbat because someone may forget to bring it to the shul before shabbat.

But then the result is the same.  If you forget to bring the shofar, you can't blow it.  If you did bring it ahead of time, then you're good.   Forbidding it just makes sure no one can do it. ever.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:10 PM »

It depends who you hold by. In most ashkenazic communities an eruv is the green light for carrying.

But the same ashkenazi communities say you can't blow shofar because of carrying?   That makes no sense.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 08:37:38 PM »

But the same ashkenazi communities say you can't blow shofar because of carrying?   That makes no sense.

Shofar blowing is not allowed on Shabbos, therefore you can't CARRY anything that is not allowed to be used on Shabbos.

Moshe92

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »

Shofar blowing is not allowed on Shabbos, therefore you can't CARRY anything that is not allowed to be used on Shabbos.

But doesn't the reason why shofar blowing is not allowed in the first place on shabbat have to do with carrying?

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 08:46:31 PM »
Anybody here ever gone to Umman for Rosh Hashana?

No, but I have heard it is a great experience, although for the life of me I do not understand how people leave Israel for the High Holidays, which is the one time that I think it is best to be in Eretz Yisrael.

If you wish to go, I have heard that Breslovers set the whole thing up at minimal expense to yourself.

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »

Because the shofar is an instrument of melacha, you cannot carry it on Shabbes regardless of whether there is an eruv.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
So it's settled. Next year, if chas v'shalom Moshiach doesn't come by then, all the JTF members will go to Umman.

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 09:04:31 PM »
So it's settled. Next year, if chas v'shalom Moshiach doesn't come by then, all the JTF members will go to Umman.

That would be quite interesting, considering the differences betwenn the philosophy of the average Jewish JTF member, and that of the ever-joyous, never-angry Breslovers.

Breslovers find the good in everything and everyone.  No matter what terrible things befall you, they will always convince you that everything is for the best.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 09:08:06 PM »

That would be quite interesting, considering the differences betwenn the philosophy of the average Jewish JTF member, and that of the ever-joyous, never-angry Breslovers.

Breslovers find the good in everything and everyone.  No matter what terrible things befall you, they will always convince you that everything is for the best.

Yes, one of my closest friend's dad is a Breslover and he's always saying how everything is all for the best. Although, Judaism in general teaches that Gam Zo L'tova.

Offline Yochai

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »

Yes, one of my closest friend's dad is a Breslover and he's always saying how everything is all for the best. Although, Judaism in general teaches that Gam Zo L'tova.

Very true, unfortunately the despicable self-pitying "woe is me" ungrateful attitude is so rife in the Western World, that it has affected many people.  Unfortunately, we are told by the media and the leftists that we're all getting screwed, and these same people have imbued a general ungratefulness that is now common amongst North Americans and Europeans.
Unfortunately, this has now affected many Jews, who have no idea how lucky they are and how grateful they should be for every breath they take.