Author Topic: EU report: Georgian attack started war with Russia  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
EU report: Georgian attack started war with Russia
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »
BRUSSELS – Georgia's attack on its breakaway South Ossetia region marked the start of last year's war with Russia, which retaliated with excessive force, an EU-commissioned report said Wednesday.

The report on the five-day war in August 2008 lay blame on both sides, but cited Georgia as starting the conflict with its night shelling in South Ossetia — an act it said was not justifiable under international law.

The EU report went on to blame Russia for conducting a military campaign deep inside Georgia. "All this cannot be regarded as even remotely commensurate with the threat to Russian peacekeepers in South Ossetia," the report said.

Russia's retaliation went "far beyond the reasonable limits of defense," it said, criticizing the devastating Russian assault on a tiny neighbor that in recent years has moved closer into the West with hopes of joining NATO.

In a first reaction, both sides said the report vindicated them. The Russian Foreign Ministry said "the core conclusion of the report is that the current leadership of Georgia unleashed the aggression."

Georgia's EU Ambassador Salome Samadashvili said the question of who fired first on Aug. 7, 2008, was immaterial without considering two decades of friction.

She said the "report gives the full context," referring to Russia's invasion of Georgia's separatist regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.

Russia's EU envoy Vladimir Chizhov said it was "not a pro-Russian report, (but) it provides an unequivocal answer to the main question of 'Who started the war?'"

Georgia's assault on the South Ossetian capital of Tshkinvali "marked the beginning of large scale hostilities," Chizhov said. "Of course, this had been preceded ... by a lengthy period of growing tensions and provocations."

The report, written by Swiss diplomat Heidi Tagliavini, also addressed claims of ethnic cleansing of Georgians living in South Ossetia, but did not pinpoint who it thought responsible.

"There was evidence of systematic looting and destruction of ethnic Georgian villages in South Ossetia. Consequently, several elements suggest the conclusion that ethnic cleansing was indeed practiced," the report said.

Georgia welcomed the conclusion.

"It's very important that this report verifies that there was a massive violation of human rights, ethnic cleansing conducted by so-called South Ossetian troops on the ground ... and tolerated by Russian forces," Georgian Cabinet minister Temur Yakobashvili said

Western capitals have generally tended to see Russia as the aggressor. EU countries said in a statement they hoped the report "can contribute toward a better understanding of the origins and the course of last year's conflict."

Chizhov said the report should encourage a rethink among "those leaders who have been hesitant" to blame Georgia for the war.

He rejected the notion that Russia responded with disproportionate use of force. "Russia's reaction was quite proportional, swift and to the point," he said.

The war ended with Russian forces decimating Georgia's military and driving its troops out of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, which Russia has since recognized as independent states. Russia keeps thousands of troops in the regions, from which it has blocked EU monitors.

Blaming Georgia is seen as boosting Russia's effort to get international recognition for the regions — only Nicaragua and Venezuela have followed suit.

It also could undermine Georgia's hopes of soon becoming a NATO member.

Putting the onus on Russia, however, could reinforce Russia's belief that the West is biased against it.

The report is based on research by 30 European military, legal and history experts.

The EU mandated the report last year to investigate the "causes and roots" of the conflict, but not to determine guilt so it could be used for compensation claims.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090930/ap_on_re_eu/eu_russia_georgia

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
Re: EU report: Georgian attack started war with Russia
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 07:27:58 PM »
Europe can't be unbiased on this issue. It is too dependent on Russian resourses.
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:24 PM »
Europe can't be unbiased on this issue. It is too dependent on Russian resourses.

Yes, it is dependent, but it would hardly defend interests of Russia when NATO is in the middle of the thing, or at least on the edges.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 03:24:47 PM »
Everybody knows that the nutcase Sakaschwili started this suicide mission. EU, USA & Nato would never go to war against Russia because of Georgia. It was clear from the beginning.

He could have developed his country and could have led it into a bright future. Instead of this he has done this nonesense action. He would have gotten Ossetia in peace because of the cultural & economic power of Georgia and the attraction of it towards the Ossetians. Russia's nature is known to everybody and he did a great service to Moskau.

He deserves to put before a Georgian court. So much good people are dead because of him. I am really angry towards him. Nobody needs leaders like him. No sane person would do this to his own people.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 03:28:25 PM »
Yes, it is dependent, but it would hardly defend interests of Russia when NATO is in the middle of the thing, or at least on the edges.
They certainly don't care about Russian interests but the relations with Russia are much more important to them than Georgia. Therefore they will certainly critize Russia a bit to make an impression of an independent power but they certainly won't go too far. Actually, I don't think they need Georgia at all. They have enough new members  :)
Do not put your trust in princes, nor in a son of man, in whom there is no help (Psalms 146:3)

Offline Spectator

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
Everybody knows that the nutcase Sakaschwili started this suicide mission. EU, USA & Nato would never go to war against Russia because of Georgia. It was clear from the beginning.

He could have developed his country and could have led it into a bright future. Instead of this he has done this nonesense action. He would have gotten Ossetia in peace because of the cultural & economic power of Georgia and the attraction of it towards the Ossetians. Russia's nature is known to everybody and he did a great service to Moskau.
He deserves to put before a Georgian court. So much good people are dead because of him. I am really angry towards him. Nobody needs leaders like him. No sane person would do this to his own people.
Ulli, South Ossetians have a clear interest to separate from Georgia and join Russia because North Ossetia is and have been the part of Russia for many years. It is preferrable to a people to live in one state. As for economic power of Georgia, it is close to zero.

I am not sure who is right in this conflict Georgia or Ossetia, but certainly not Russia that behave in this conflict like NATO in Yugoslav wars.
My personal simpathy is with Georgia. No because that I'm anti-Russian but because I like Georgia no matter who is their president.

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:30:31 PM »
Georgia made under the first years of Sakaschwili great economic progress. I.e. he was able to double the tax income althrough he lowered the tax rate. The Georgian church has after all I know basically the same theology like the Ossetians namely orthodox. There are no greater cultural barriers only artificial ones in the heads. I stand here with nobody. I mourn the death.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:48:33 AM »
They certainly don't care about Russian interests but the relations with Russia are much more important to them than Georgia. Therefore they will certainly critize Russia a bit to make an impression of an independent power but they certainly won't go too far. Actually, I don't think they need Georgia at all. They have enough new members  :)

But from what we can see now, they do need new members.
Yeah, I agree that Russia has typical "nature", but their president Saakashvili is the most responsible.

Offline sonja_yu

• Senior JTFer
    • My YouTube
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
I am not supposed to support separatism, so I'm tending to be neutral on that matter, but to be honest, I couldn't care less about Georgians and what their treatment was/is. They hate or at least dislike us for no damn reason.