Author Topic: Israel to free prisoners for videotape of soldier  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
Israel to free prisoners for videotape of soldier
« on: September 30, 2009, 12:12:39 PM »
JERUSALEM – Israel will release 20 Palestinian women from prison this week in exchange for a videotape proving that an Israeli soldier held in the Gaza Strip is still alive, Israel and Hamas announced Wednesday, in the first tangible sign of movement in more than three years of talks over the captive soldier's fate.

Sgt. Gilad Schalit, a tank crewman seized by Hamas-linked militants in a cross-border raid in June 2006, has not been seen since his capture.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office and Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip said Schalit's captors would release a recent videotape of the soldier in return for the freed prisoners. The swap is to take place on Friday.

The statement from Netanyahu's office said a forum of senior Israeli Cabinet ministers approved the deal, suggested by Egyptian and German mediators, as a "confidence-building measure." It quoted a senior official in Netanyahu's office as saying the negotiations are still "expected to be long and difficult."

Schalit's release would defuse a central point of contention and could help ease a crippling Israeli blockade on the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.

The deal was to be carried out, the statement said, "ahead of the decisive stages in the negotiations for the release of Gilad Schalit and based on the Israeli government's commitment to work with determination to bring him home quickly."

Hamas is demanding that Israel release hundreds of prisoners, many of whom are serving lengthy sentences for violent attacks on Israelis, in exchange for the soldier. Israel has balked at many of Hamas' demands.

In Gaza, Hamas spokesman Osama Muzini confirmed the deal, which he said was struck after German mediators asked for information on Schalit's health and Hamas responded that "nothing is free."

"Twenty prisoners will be released in exchange for the Zionist enemy's learning about his life through a cassette that shows him and reassures the enemy that he is still alive," Muzini said.

A Hamas Web site reported that the videotape was about one minute long. Israeli officials said the tape would include proof that it had been taken recently. They did not elaborate, but those indications could include footage of a recent newspaper or a verbal mention of a recent event.

A spokesman for Hamas' armed wing using the pseudonym Abu Obeida said the released prisoners would come from various Palestinian factions, including Hamas, the rival Fatah movement and Islamic Jihad. He said one was from Gaza while the rest were from the Fatah-controlled West Bank.

"This simple deal is a precursor, God willing, to a comprehensive deal," he said.

Israel says that while the women were jailed for security-related offenses, they were not directly involved in killing Israelis and are all within two years of the end of their prison sentences. Their names were to be published Wednesday, allowing a legally mandated 48-hour period for court appeals against their release before the deal is carried out.

A senior Egyptian official involved in the mediation said the move was designed to create "an atmosphere of trust."

"There is no doubt that this step will support the efforts of all sides to solve the problem," he said, speaking on condition of anonymity under security guidelines.

Egypt has been trying to mediate a prisoner swap since Hamas-linked militants tunneled into Israel in June 2006 and attacked an Israeli tank, killing two crewmen and capturing Schalit.

The Israeli soldier has not been seen since his capture and the Red Cross has not been allowed to visit him. But several letters and an audio recording have been released by his captors.

Netanyahu approved the deal because he believes it is important that the world know Schalit is alive and well and that his safety is Hamas' responsibility, according to the statement from his office.

Both Hamas and Israel appear eager to wrap up a deal.

For Israel, the return of Schalit would end a painful chapter. In a country where military service is mandatory, Israelis have rallied behind the soldier and his family, holding protests calling for his release and decorating their cars with bumper stickers bearing his name. One news anchor even ends his broadcast each night by mentioning how long Schalit has been in captivity.

Hamas, meanwhile, wants to end an Israeli and Egyptian economic blockade of Gaza that has caused widespread shortages of many basic items. These shortages have prevented Hamas from repairing the massive damage caused in Gaza by an Israeli military offensive last winter.

Israel imposed the blockade after Hamas, a violent group backed by Iran and Syria, seized power in Gaza two years ago. Officials have said the embargo will not be lifted until Schalit comes home.

The closure has led to a bustling smuggling business along Gaza's border with Egypt. On Wednesday, two smugglers were killed and four were injured when a tunnel under the border collapsed. A paramedic said the men were working in a tunnel in an area struck by the Israeli military the night before.

The Israeli army confirmed it targeted three tunnels in response to rocket and mortar fire from Gaza in the previous two days. Israel says the tunnels are used to smuggle weapons into Gaza.

More than 120 people have died in tunnel collapses since 2007.

In the West Bank, the site of frequent friction between Palestinians and Israeli settlers, Palestinians complained of new settler vandalism of fields and olive orchards. Abed Al-Muhainin, 34, of the village of Burin, said Wednesday that Israelis from a nearby settlement had uprooted more than 100 of his olive trees.

Israeli police spokesman Gili Elhadad said the complaint was accurate and was being investigated.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090930/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Re: Israel to free prisoners for videotape of soldier
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
This is the so-called "right-wing" leader that some of you all seem to enjoy.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »
20 Muslims for a video tape :o :o :o :o

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »
It looks different from Israel. I desperately want this boy to be alive and returned in good health. I hate my own opinion but, under current circumstances, I think that Israel should make a trade. If Gilad is dead, all the scum destined for exchange should be shot.
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:19:29 PM »
It looks different from Israel. I desperately want this boy to be alive and returned in good health. I hate my own opinion but, under current circumstances, I think that Israel should make a trade. If Gilad is dead, all the scum destined for exchange should be shot.

The tape could have been taken from when he was first captured

Offline Zionist Revolutionary

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:07:35 PM »

You and I both know not only will they still be let free, but nothing will happen to them. The Israeli government will do nothing in response to Gilads death (G-d forbid).

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 05:37:15 PM »
The Israeli people might be much more open to allowing the Kahanist platform to be heard these days but sadly by and large they are a very politically-correct people who fear the goyim above all else still and continue to cling to the idiotic, hypocritical "human rights" guidelines established by the Nazi West.

Israel could have gotten Gilad freed three years ago by executing ten Arab prisoners for each day he is held, but the Bolshevik Israeli regime would not do that on its own in a million years, and the people would not demand it in a million years.

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 05:49:45 PM »

20 muslims for a video tape is another outrage and slap in the face to Gilad's family.

The Israeli Government should execute 20 palestinians a day for each day Gilad is
imprisoned.
Their if their hearts are still hardened then they should start executing 40 palestinians a day and so on and so on until they give him back. If they refuse to give Gilad or his body up, then I would wish that the Israeli soldiers finish off hamas and the palestinians once and for all.

DEATH to the ENEMIES of ISRAEL!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »
This is an outrage, an insult, and a shame!

The blood of the innocent victims to come are on the hands of these murderous womens. They will go right back to their ways of killing Jews. They have no remorse for their actions. And what will we do with a videotape? Play it to the parents to torment them? What if the tape was taped three years ago, when he was still alive?

It is sick what the Israeli government is accepting concerning this. It requires everyone to raise their voice and shout out at the injustice.

Our Holy Torah teaches "middah keneged middah" which means measure for measure. 20 women who will murder maybe another 200 Jews for one Jew who may not even be alive.... The injustice just screams out at me!

The Israeli government should start killing these prisoners till the will of the Palestinians is broken. I believe that the only thing these animals understand is the cold, harsh, and precise application of pain. No mercy on the wicked.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline GoIsraelGo!

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Wake up America, Obama is the enemy!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 07:36:46 PM »
Shalom Muman, I agree with your doubts about if he is still alive or not.
The muslims are so devious and can never be trusted. I have doubts about the validity
of the tape they will see and even if there is a valid date on the tape, who's to say
the tape was not altered.

Shalom & may G-d Bless you

Dox

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »
And the sad thing is, it's only going to get worse.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 05:45:04 AM »
The Israeli people might be much more open to allowing the Kahanist platform to be heard these days but sadly by and large they are a very politically-correct people who fear the goyim above all else still and continue to cling to the idiotic, hypocritical "human rights" guidelines established by the Nazi West.

Israel could have gotten Gilad freed three years ago by executing ten Arab prisoners for each day he is held, but the Bolshevik Israeli regime would not do that on its own in a million years, and the people would not demand it in a million years.
Completely agree! You know in a street fight, you can either fight, run/walk away or give up. I either case, you better do it without yelling or threats. So, by discussing this exchange Israel has endangered Gilad's life and effectively lost the fight. Now Israel has to shut up and do the exchange if Gilad is still alive. If Gilad is no longer with us, G-d forbid, Israel should cover its head with ashes in disgust and in shame. 
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »
Israel knows with good certainty that Gilad Shalit is alive. But in any case it is a colossal mistake to agree for a trade of terrorists in exchange for a life sign.

Offline Manch

• Master JTFer
  • Kahane Tzadak!
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 08:55:36 AM »
Israel knows with good certainty that Gilad Shalit is alive. But in any case it is a colossal mistake to agree for a trade of terrorists in exchange for a life sign.
This is another precedent that Israeli bolsheviks established in the humiliating line of humiliating concessions to ayrabs. It is unheard of in the world history to trade life terrortist/prisoners/hostages for an "indication" that your captive is alive!!!  >:( Iwish Israeli bolsheviks were that lenient with the fellow Kahanist Jews and heroic "settlers"
Hayot Araviot Masrihot

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 09:30:45 AM »
I thought there were done this trading business.