Author Topic: Jewish Composer Steve Reich  (Read 4857 times)

sat_chit_anand

Jewish Composer Steve Reich
« on: April 17, 2007, 09:41:27 PM »
What do we think of the New York Jewish composer, Steve Reich?

Furthermore, could the forum have an Arts section where we could discuss Jewish and Righteous Gentile aesthetics?

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
Re: Jewish Composer Steve Reich
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 10:11:56 PM »
Re:  "...What do we think of the New York Jewish composer, Steve Reich?..."

I have at times enjoyed some of his music; particularly the score for the film Koyaanisqatsi/i].

Personally, I believe it best to view anyone involved with the arts as a breed apart.

To ask them about serious world matters is more often than not a waste of time; unless you enjoy infantile personalities with an educational level in direct inverse proportion to the enormity of their egos.

sat_chit_anand

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 12:28:30 AM »
Yes, but do you really think that a man like Reich can have any ego to speak of? His music is modern, spiritual, timeless.

Is it not the case that the people who ruin it are the mainstream critics, historians and the dealers, and not the artists?

Allen-T

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 07:10:02 AM »
Re:  "...What do we think of the New York Jewish composer, Steve Reich?..."

I have at times enjoyed some of his music; particularly the score for the film Koyaanisqatsi/i].

Personally, I believe it best to view anyone involved with the arts as a breed apart.

To ask them about serious world matters is more often than not a waste of time; unless you enjoy infantile personalities with an educational level in direct inverse proportion to the enormity of their egos.

Wasn't Koyannisqatsi Philip Glass? 

Allen-T

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 07:12:17 AM »
The person who first showed me "Life Out Of Balance" aka Koyannisqatsi smoked alot of pot 8)

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 09:45:29 AM »
"...Koyannisqatsi Philip Glass?..."

I stand corrected.   :P

For the sake of minimalism, I end this thread.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 10:19:44 AM »
Re:  "...do you really think that a man like Reich can have any ego to speak of? His music is modern, spiritual, timeless.
Is it not the case that the people who ruin it are the mainstream critics, historians and the dealers, and not the artists?..."

With all due respect, sat_chit_anand, the world of art is what it is.  I'm sure it was the same exact way three thousand years ago.  Most all of the artists are infantile egomaniacs with amazing talent, and the "business" surrounding the artist is loaded with parasitical "flesh peddlers"; all of whom with egos so grandiose that they actually believe that "they" are responsible for the work of the artist.

This is the way it is from the very height of the profession, all the way down to the level of a grade school amateur theatre production.

"Everybody wants to be in show business."

I have met and worked with individuals praised throughout the world as "genius"..."brilliant"..."cutting edge", who were so incredulously stupid as to be incapable of intelligent conversation, having to be "pampered" and "taken care of" 24hrs/day by others doing everything for them.  Most of the time artists speak only of themselves.  Regardless of the subject matter at hand, they always immediately change the conversation to themselves, demanding that all consider them the actual center of the universe.

Scriabin

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 11:07:19 AM »

I resemble that remark. 

Massuh, World matters ARE a waste of time...unless you're one of the Big Boys.  We're just along for the ride.

Art is a source of enlightenment, healing  and inspiration.  What have you got against that?   

Are you so cynical that you cannot experience the indescribable ecstasy of Music?

Allen-T

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:45:57 AM »

I resemble that remark. 

Massuh, World matters ARE a waste of time...unless you're one of the Big Boys.  We're just along for the ride.

Art is a source of enlightenment, healing  and inspiration.  What have you got against that?   

Are you so cynical that you cannot experience the indescribable ecstasy of Music?

Bible,Sex with wife,Music and Beer. Collective ecstacy that empowers above all adversity! :) [Thank G-d, it's all that goes on up there]
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 11:54:31 AM by Allen-T »

sat_chit_anand

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 03:01:00 PM »
The forum needs to be more visual.

I prefer the v-forum format.

The forum needs to have an arts section.

I would be happy to put money forward to this end.

We need to develop a visual culture, a new right-wing Zionist aesthetic must be established.

Yes, Steve Reich's music quite pot-headed, but then again so is Bach's and Mozart's.

Allen-T

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2007, 03:38:32 PM »
The forum needs to be more visual.

I prefer the v-forum format.

The forum needs to have an arts section.

I would be happy to put money forward to this end.

We need to develop a visual culture, a new right-wing Zionist aesthetic must be established.

Yes, Steve Reich's music quite pot-headed, but then again so is Bach's and Mozart's.

I haven't heard Steve Reich's music, but I was referring to Koyanna...[whatever] and Philip Glass's music. The film is sped up images of everyday things and Glass's staple repetitious layers of keyboards. Not my cup of tea.   

sat_chit_anand

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »
Koyanisquatsi, I don't know, but Phillip Glass's 'Ahknaton' is a real beauty.

Steve Reich, is irreplacable, and his music has purity. Glass is a bit more earthy, I think.

Scriabin

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2007, 08:41:41 PM »
Koyanisquatsi, I don't know, but Phillip Glass's 'Ahknaton' is a real beauty.

Steve Reich, is irreplacable, and his music has purity. Glass is a bit more earthy, I think.

What about this...they might be muslims, but the skill is tremendous:

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 07:37:32 AM »
Call me barbaric but i prefer Rammstein   Du hast and no their not nazis     http://www.radioblogclub.com/open/18538/rammstein/Rammstein%20-%20Du%20Hast
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 07:40:52 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ehud

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 08:38:21 AM »
Steve Reich is a genius and one of the founders of minimalism.  He is also somewhat of a good Jew and has written music about Jewish issues such as in his works "Tehillim" and "Different Trains".  For anyone who wants to check out some of his music, I would recommend "Music for 18 Musicians".  Phillip Glass is also a genius but he is pretty much a self-hating Jew. His soundtrack for Koyanisqaatsi and the movie itself are breathtaking.  Some of my other favorite genius Jewish composers are Gershwin, Zorn, Copland, Schoenberg (who invented the twelve-tone scale), Mendelssohn, and Mahler.   
"The Jews will eventually have to face up to what you're dealing with here.  The arabs will never love you for what good you've brought them.  They don't know how to really love.  But hate!  Oh, G-d, can they hate!  And they have a deep, deep, deep resentment because you have jolted them from their delusions of grandeur and shown them for what they are-a decadent, savage people controlled by a religion that has stripped them of all human ambition . . . except for the few cruel enough and arrogant enough to command them as one commands a mob of sheep.  You are dealing with a mad society and you'd better learn how to control it."

-Excerpt from The Haj by Leon Uris

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 09:52:32 AM »

Talented kiddie moslems... note the bottom comment

"cute kids,too bad though that before you know it these kids will be strapping on suicide bomber vests and going into a crowded mall someplace. "

sat_chit_anand

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 04:08:53 PM »
Steve Reich's music is just so groovy.

What do people think about the idea of putting together an arts section for the forum to help to make moves towards developing a right-wing aesthetic?

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2007, 04:21:35 PM »
What do people think about the idea of putting together an arts section for the forum to help to make moves towards developing a right-wing aesthetic?

yes. :laugh:

Allen-T

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
Steve Reich's music is just so groovy.

I tried posting a desert island disc thread that died instantly!! Good idea though!!

sat_chit_anand

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 02:21:44 AM »
Yes!!!  ;D

I there is only so much discussion one can have before needing to create something.

Has Zionism really developed a national style? Bauhaus was international and we need to move away from that now.

Those buildings and that era may have a certain nostalgic appeal, which we can tap into for ephemeral purposes but... what was the architectural style of the Masada?

Is there an architect in Israel who works in this style?

In Britain we have Quinlan Terry, a very English architect:

http://www.qftarchitects.net/1024index.html

Hmm???

I think that an arts section is long overdue.