Author Topic: question about debating other religions  (Read 5250 times)

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
question about debating other religions
« on: October 29, 2009, 01:25:18 PM »
A few weeks ago on the ask JTF, Chaim mentioned that Jews were allowed to discuss/debate theology with Christians since there is a common root of what our beliefs are with each other, but with Muslims we aren't supposed to debate since their whole theology denies the Torah and Christian bible.

Another person mentioned to me that an Orthodox rabbi told her that Jews were not permitted to walk inside a church (non museum), but allowed to walk in a mosque since Muslims believe in the "same" Gd as the Jews (but I don't think Allah goes with Hshem).

Can someone tell me if this is correct?  I'm going to post this for the next askJTF as well to get Chaim's answer
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: question about debating other religions
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 01:43:08 PM »
Yes,

The Halacha is that a Jew can enter a mosque because there is no Avodah Zara... While a Jew cannot enter the sanctuary of a church. This came up last year because many voting places are in churches...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 01:44:18 PM »
From Chabads : ASK MOSES

http://www.askmoses.com/en/article/255,2400/Am-I-allowed-to-enter-a-church-or-mosque.html

Am I allowed to enter a church or mosque?

Entering a mosque does not pose a problem, since Islam is based on a belief in the one-and-only G-d.

Entering a Church however, is problematic as Christianity is based on belief in the Trinity, a concept in which G-d is not 'one-and-only' but has partners as well.

[According to many Halachic authorities, belief in the trinity is only forbidden for a Jew. A non-Jew may follow these tenets since belief in the omnipotent G-d is still present.]

Therefore, it is forbidden for a Jew to enter the sanctuary of the church, i.e. where the actual prayer services are held. This could be misinterpreted as identification with the philosophy. However, it is permitted to enter other rooms in a church for non-religious purposes.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »
thank you.. i also posted a question like this on this week's ask JTF..

the reason why is the seemingly contradiction that we are allowed to discuss and debate theology with Christians, but not with Muslims.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 01:52:46 PM »
Actually muslamics can not and never discuss such matters.
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
But there are Christian congregations like the Lutheran Church that doesn't believe in Trinity... But as far as I know - maybe a more liberal interpretation - you can go and visit the place for tourist reasons, but you mustn't pray inside it! I would never go into a mosque again. I have visited 3 mosques so far and found them uncomfortable places!

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 02:32:34 PM »
But there are Christian congregations like the Lutheran Church that doesn't believe in Trinity... But as far as I know - maybe a more liberal interpretation - you can go and visit the place for tourist reasons, but you mustn't pray inside it! I would never go into a mosque again. I have visited 3 mosques so far and found them uncomfortable places!

Lutherians believe in the trinity. But they don't believe in praying to Mary or the saints.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Hyades

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 02:47:32 PM »

Lutherians believe in the trinity. But they don't believe in praying to Mary or the saints.

Do they? Someone told me they didn't!  :)

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 02:57:21 PM »

Do they? Someone told me they didn't!  :)

Lutherians believe definitively in the concept of trinity.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Madmarv

• Full JTFer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:59:37 PM »
Christians believe in one god just as jews do.
Trinity does not mean three gods.
Trinity means that god have had three forms, you know, like water -> ice, liquid, etc etc ...
The trinity is the father, the son and the holy spirit, for christians, the father is god as we all know him, the son is god when he came through jesus christ, the holy spirit is when god can move as spirit in each and every one of us. This doesn't contradict judaism, I don't know how that contradicts the image of god as the jews draws it ... its the same, except christians believed in jesus christ and that God have walked and talked with them through him (the son) and the holy spirit (the spirit of the man).
UNITED WE STAND,

DIVIDED WE FALL.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:06:52 PM »
Christians believe in one G-d just as jews do.
Trinity means that G-d have had three forms, you know, like water -> ice, liquid, etc etc ...
The trinity is the father, the son and the holy spirit, for christians, the father is G-d as we all know him, the son is G-d when he came through jesus christ, the holy spirit is when G-d can move as spirit in each and every one of us. This doesn't contradict judaism, I don't know how that contradicts the image of G-d as the jews draws it ... its the same, except christians believed in jesus christ and that G-d have walked and talked with them through him (the son) and the holy spirit (the spirit of the man).

Hashem is not divisible, he is infinite... He exists before time, during time, and after time... There is no way that Hashem is corporeal... This makes the idea of Jesus as G-d impossible to the Jewish belief. This is why he is rejected. He also did not fufill the prophecies of Moshiach and this is another reason Jews cannot believe in Jesus. Also Christians pray to Jesus and Jews are prohibited from praying to intermediaries and only pray to Hashem {Didnt Jesus say that the only way to G-d is through him? This is heretical in Jewish belief}.... There is no such thing as Three things are really one thing... Hashem is Hashem, he is indivisible... Jesus violates so many Jewish ideas that it is not possible to explain it here... Do some research on why Jews dont believe... i can provide many good sites...

http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewsandjesus/

5) CHRISTIANITY CONTRADICTS JEWISH THEOLOGY

(back)

The following theological points apply primarily to the Roman Catholic Church, the largest Christian denomination.

A. G-d AS THREE?

The Catholic idea of Trinity breaks G-d into three separate beings: The Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost (Matthew 28:19).

Contrast this to the Shema, the basis of Jewish belief: "Hear O Israel, the Lord our G-d, the Lord is ONE" (Deut. 6:4). Jews declare the Shema every day, while writing it on doorposts (Mezuzah), and binding it to the hand and head (Tefillin). This statement of G-d’s One-ness is the first words a Jewish child is taught to say, and the last words uttered before a Jew dies.

In Jewish law, worship of a three-part G-d is considered idolatry—one of the three cardinal sins that a Jew should rather give up his life than transgress. This explains why during the Inquisitions and throughout history, Jews gave up their lives rather than convert.

B. MAN AS G-d?

Roman Catholics believe that G-d came down to earth in human form, as Jesus said: "I and the Father are one" (John 10:30).

Maimonides devotes most of the "Guide for the Perplexed" to the fundamental idea that G-d is incorporeal, meaning that He assumes no physical form. G-d is Eternal, above time. He is Infinite, beyond space. He cannot be born, and cannot die. Saying that G-d assumes human form makes G-d small, diminishing both His unity and His divinity. As the Torah says: "G-d is not a mortal" (Numbers 23:19).

Judaism says that the Messiah will be born of human parents, and possess normal physical attributes like other people. He will not be a demi-G-d, and will not possess supernatural qualities. In fact, an individual is alive in every generation with the capacity to step into the role of the Messiah. (see Maimonides - Laws of Kings 11:3)

C. INTERMEDIARY FOR PRAYER?

The Catholic belief is that prayer must be directed through an intermediary—i.e. confessing one’s sins to a priest. Jesus himself is an intermediary, as Jesus said: "No man cometh unto the Father but by me."

In Judaism, prayer is a totally private matter, between each individual and G-d. As the Bible says: "G-d is near to all who call unto Him" (Psalms 145:18). Further, the Ten Commandments state: "You shall have no other gods BEFORE ME," meaning that it is forbidden to set up a mediator between G-d and man. (see Maimonides - Laws of Idolatry ch. 1)

D. INVOLVEMENT IN THE PHYSICAL WORLD

Catholic doctrine often treats the physical world as an evil to be avoided. Mary, the holiest woman, is portrayed as a virgin. Priests and nuns are celibate. And monasteries are in remote, secluded locations.

By contrast, Judaism believes that G-d created the physical world not to frustrate us, but for our pleasure. Jewish spirituality comes through grappling with the mundane world in a way that uplifts and elevates. Sex in the proper context is one of the holiest acts we can perform.

The Talmud says if a person has the opportunity to taste a new fruit and refuses to do so, he will have to account for that in the World to Come. Jewish rabbinical schools teach how to live amidst the bustle of commercial activity. Jews don’t retreat from life, we elevate it. 

PS: Jews have no 'image' of G-d as you put it... The second commandment clearly says that there should be no images made nor worshipped.

PPS: Also I should clearly state that what I am saying is aimed at Jews. Non-Jews can worship what they want as long as it brings them closer to Hashem...

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 03:12:40 PM by muman613 »

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 03:15:37 PM »
Let us agree that there are differences in our theology. I am afraid I will say something which is not understood here... Jewish law is clear in its standing on Christianity, and many Righteous Jews have died with Shema {the most importants jewish prayer} on their lips as they were burned at the stake by religious inquisitors and crusaders...

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »
A few weeks ago on the ask JTF, Chaim mentioned that Jews were allowed to discuss/debate theology with Christians since there is a common root of what our beliefs are with each other, but with Muslims we aren't supposed to debate since their whole theology denies the Torah and Christian bible.

Another person mentioned to me that an Orthodox rabbi told her that Jews were not permitted to walk inside a church (non museum), but allowed to walk in a mosque since Muslims believe in the "same" Gd as the Jews (but I don't think Allah goes with Hshem).

Can someone tell me if this is correct?  I'm going to post this for the next askJTF as well to get Chaim's answer

The Muslims are monotheists even if their religion is evil.   We have severe restrictions on not going into places that are considered polytheistic (avoda zara).   The mosque is not considered a danger of avoda zara (even tho I can't see why a Jew would want to go in one).    But a Jew cannot believe in christianity, cannot practice it, and cannot go into a church according to halacha.    We can't practice Islam either, but if someone did, he would not be considered to be doing avoda zara.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 03:20:34 PM »
Christians believe in one G-d just as jews do.

To you maybe it doesn't, but to us it does, regardless of what you actually believe about it.  We have our own parameters and that belief is forbidden to us.   Severely forbidden... For us.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 03:21:08 PM »
Muman and everyone else who has responded to this thread, I appreciate your inquiries.

I think we should leave it to this because we want to avoid any religious debates with our Christian friends on the forum...it's Chaim's wishes actually. However, if there is anyone here that wants to have a frank respectful discussion, it's best to do it over private messenger.

(perhaps we should lock this thread).

Offline Madmarv

• Full JTFer
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »
but muman613, that brings up another question, does G-d really "cant" be corporeal (edit replaced ethereal)? can't he go into any form he wants? if so? how can G-d not can anything at all ?! if you believe that G-d is infinite and G-d is all-mighty all-knowing, then why do you believe that something can be "impossible" for him?
UNITED WE STAND,

DIVIDED WE FALL.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
I regret that I chose to post in this thread at all.   

To madmarv: it is more an issue of God "wouldn't."  Just like the old atheist line, "can God create a rock that is too heavy for God to lift?"    The answer to that is no.   No because it's nonsensical.   Not "No" because we limit God in any way.    No because it is completely upside down thinking.

Let us cease this discussion.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 03:37:04 PM »
but muman613, that brings up another question, does G-d really "cant" be corporeal (edit replaced ethereal)? can't he go into any form he wants? if so? how can G-d not can anything at all ?! if you believe that G-d is infinite and G-d is all-mighty all-knowing, then why do you believe that something can be "impossible" for him?

Ah, the old "Can Hashem make a Stone so heavy that he can't lift it?" question...

This is an infinite loop and the only answer is that the question is illogical.

Let me see if I can attempt to explain this conundrum.

http://www.aishdas.org/asp/2005/07/hashem-and-logic.shtml

Can G-d make a square-circle, or a thing which is both red and not-red, or a rock so heavy even He can’t lift it? In other words, must G-d obey the laws of logic?This question is more serious than it seems. In Principia Mathematica, Bertrand Russell derives all of mathematics from the roots of symbolic logic. This means that if Hashem can not defy logic, he also can not make pi=3.5. Even worse, if physicists ever get a theory of everything, or if such a theory exists and is never found, than the laws of nature are forced by the laws of math which in turn are all derivable from the laws of logic. If we answer that paradoxes about Hashem aren’t true, we would need to explain, then, how miracles are possible.

The nice thing about logic, however, is that a wide variety of things can be proven as long as you pick the right set of postulates. While all of math including geometry are derivable from boolean logic, there is no indication that reality has to map to Euclid’s postulates. (In fact, it doesn’t.) Math gives us many models, reality only conforms to one/some of them. Proofs are simply systems for taking a set of postulates and finding their conclusions. The postulates themselves, come before the application of logic.

Both extreme positions are supported. The Ramchal (Pischei Chachmah 30) insists that G-d’s omnipotence is absolute, even with regard to things we would regard as impossible. The Rambam, on the other hand, (Moreh 3:15) states:

That which is impossible has a permanent and constant property, which is not the result of some agent, and can not in any way change, and consequently we do not ascribe to G-d the power of doing what is impossible. No thinking man denies the truth of this maxim; none ignore it, but such as have no idea of Logic…. Likewise it is impossible that G-d should produce a being like Himself… to produce a square whose diagonal is equal to one of its sides….
    We have shown that according to each of these theories there are things that are impossible, whose existence cannot be admitted, and whose creation is excluded from the power of G-d, and the assumption that G-d does not change their nature does not imply weakness in G-d, or a limit to his power.

R. Aryeh Kaplan, in “Jewish Life – Summer ‘74″ discusses the question of paradox. He raises a number of classical paradoxes:
How can G-d know what I will decide tomorrow, and yet I have free will in that decision?
G-d is unchanging. However, He is now “the One Who created the universe” whereas He wasn’t before creation. How?
Can G-d create a stone so heavy even He couldn’t lift it?
(I addressed the first two in terms of the inappropriateness of using time-based language when discussing G-d in an earlier entry.)

R’ Kaplan explains:

A very good analogy would be trick glasses in which the right lens is red and the left is green. Therefore, if a person wearing such glasses looks at a white paper, he sees it as red with his right eye, and as green with his left. If he looks at it through both eyes he sees some psychedelic mixture of red and green, but under no conditions can he perceive the color white.

With respect to the stone:

The attributes of action would say that He can create such a stone, “G-d is omnipotent and can do all things.” The negative attributes would indicate that such a stone could not exist.

So, the authorities are split: no (Ramchal), yes (Rambam), and all of the above (Rabbi Kaplan). That should give me some rein in which to speculate.

When we looked at Divine Attributes, we defined G-d’s omnipotence as a negative statement. A declaration about what He isn’t. G-d gets results without invoking the notion of “power”. Thus, it is meaningless to invoke the notion of “a rock too heavy for Him to lift” as it is to talk about “a song too red.” G-d cannot just lift a stone of infinite weight, omnipotence means that weight is a non-issue to what He can lift, just as color is.

The other question is can G-d defy paradox in general. I’d have to agree with the Rambam at least to the extent that some system of logic must apply. Didn’t Hashem intend us to use logic to come to understand what we can of Him. If He is above logic, what use is it? How can one say “Since Hashem created logic, therefore …” as the Ramchal does to start his very argument to conclude that theological answers needn’t be logical? How can we the proceed with the rest of this discussion if we didn’t already assume that logic works?

Contemporary logic seems to bear out a position very close to the Ramchal’s. Human reason seems to be closer modeled by Bayesian probability or Fuzzy Logic than the old Aristotelian-Boolean kind. In English: we are equipped to deal with things other than a black-and-white true vs. false. We can reason about things we can only know are probably true. And while happiness and sadness are opposites, ambivalence, where a person feels both because of different perspective on the same thing, is common. As are dialectics: People can believe “The world was created for me” and “I am dust and ashes” at the same time. Quantum level events conform to a Quantum Logic, which is also non-Boolean and non-Aristotelian. An electron can be in a superposition state, where it’s both in one state and another, even though the two contradict; at least until observed. (Don’t try to understand that — I didn’t claim it makes sense, just that it’s how subatomic particles work.)

Aristotle’s Law of Contradiction applies to neither our minds nor the constituents of our atoms. Why need it apply to G-d?

Related to this is my essays on logic and eilu va’eilu (plurality in halakhah) in Mesukim MiDevash for Naso,
and earlier in this blog.

Or, to put it another way — even if logic is a part of Truth, and therefore of Hashem’s essence, which of the many possible systems of logic does that mean? Presumably one of Infinite richness, not the Aristotelian that both the Rambam or the Ramchal were discussing.

Offline Madmarv

• Full JTFer
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »
Sorry but I don't think that "the old "Can Hashem make a Stone so heavy that he can't lift it?"" is same as this one.

the old "Can Hashem make a Stone so heavy that he can't lift it?" is like saying can red be black? which is two different things, totally illogical as you said.

I know that judaism and christianity have their differences, but I just don't believe this is one of them.
UNITED WE STAND,

DIVIDED WE FALL.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »
FYI Muman, over the years.....many Christians were also burned at the stake...some for having bibles, and other things (Joan of Arc is a good example).

If you had a bible, you were tried for being a heretic I think. Emporer Nero would burn Christians on stakes and use them to light the streets, if I remember correctly. (I think it was Nero).

Let us agree that there are differences in our theology. I am afraid I will say something which is not understood here... Jewish law is clear in its standing on Christianity, and many Righteous Jews have died with Shema {the most importants jewish prayer} on their lips as they were burned at the stake by religious inquisitors and crusaders...

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 03:47:46 PM »
Sorry but I don't think that "the old "Can Hashem make a Stone so heavy that he can't lift it?"" is same as this one.

the old "Can Hashem make a Stone so heavy that he can't lift it?" is like saying can red be black? which is two different things, totally illogical as you said.

And according to Judaism "can G-d be man?" is exactly the same thing.   Saying "can man be G-d" is totally illogical by Jewish belief and the Jewish knowledge of /relationship with G-d.    So, you are wrong.  Judaism and Christianity DO differ (in the biggest way possible) on this matter.

God and man are
two different things
in Judaism.  Let this be the end of this discussion and let us not mislead people about the differences in these religions.

Offline Madmarv

• Full JTFer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »

And according to Judaism "can G-d be man?" is exactly the same thing.   Saying "can man be G-d" is totally illogical by Jewish belief and the Jewish knowledge of /relationship with G-d.    So, you are wrong.  Judaism and Christianity DO differ (in the biggest way possible) on this matter.

G-d and man are
two different things
in Judaism.  Let this be the end of this discussion and let us not mislead people about the differences in these religions.

I also said "I know that judaism and christianity have their differences, but I just don't believe this is one of them"
So I know they DO differ ...
UNITED WE STAND,

DIVIDED WE FALL.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 03:54:12 PM »
Yes.

I was posting to show that even Christians have been persecuted. I am not sure what you are getting at.

I have much respect for the Jewish faith. People went to concentration camps for hiding the Jews during the holocaust. They were not fighting amongst each other at all, they managed to agree on the things they agreed with ...and let God be God.

G-d and man are
two different things
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
FYI Muman, over the years.....many Christians were also burned at the stake...some for having bibles, and other things (Joan of Arc is a good example).

If you had a bible, you were tried for being a heretic I think. Emporer Nero would burn Christians on stakes and use them to light the streets, if I remember correctly. (I think it was Nero).

The Romans killed the Jews, they killed our great Rabbis using every imaginable torture method man can devise... I do realize that Christians were killed by the Romans, but it was because of the Romans desire to rid Israel of the Jewish presence...

Aish.com has a good section on the history of Rome and the land of Israel...

http://www.aish.com/jl/h/48942411.html

ROMAN PERSECUTION

Adding fuel to the ideological fire was the way the Romans tried to extract money -- by taxation and sometimes outright looting -- from the local population. This was especially true of several of the governors (procurators) of Judea who were exceptionally cruel and avaricious. Josephus provides us with numerous examples of Roman mistreatment of the Jewish inhabitants of Judea:

Pilate (Procurator of Judea 26-36 C.E.), who had been sent as procurator into Judea by Tiberius, sent those images of Caesar called standards into Jerusalem by night. This aroused a very great tumult among the Jews when day broke, for those who were near them were astonished at the sight of the images as indications that their law was trampled underfoot, for those laws do not permit any sort of images to be brought into the city...After this he caused another disturbance by expending that sacred treasure which is called Korban (funds be used for offerings in the Temple) on aqueducts...Gaius Caesar...represented himself as a god and desired to called so....He sent Petronius ( governor of Syria 39-41 C.E.) with an army to Jerusalem to place his statue in the Temple and command him that in case the Jews would not admit them, he should kill those who opposed it and carry all the rest of nation away into captivity.(2)

Historian Paul Johnson in his History of the Jews (p. 136) explains why this proved a particularly incendiary element in the conflict:

The Hellenized gentiles ... [who] constituted the local civil service and the tax collectors ... were notorious in their anti-Semitism ... Foolishly, Rome insisted on drawing its Judaean procurators from Greek-speaking gentile areas - the last and most insensitive of them, Gessius Florus came from Greek Asia Minor."

Florus persuaded Nero to strip the Jews of Caesarea of their citizenship, making them effectively aliens in the city and totally at the mercy of the Greco-Roman population. The Jews revolted, and their protest was viciously put down with many people killed and synagogues desecrated. The pogrom spread to other cities where the Hellenized population seized the opportunity to get rid of the Jews - Jewish homes were invaded, looted and burned down.

Jewish refugees, vowing vengeance, began to stream into Jerusalem.

But Florus only escalated the conflict, first by giving Roman soldiers free rein to massacre more than 3,600 Jews who had jeered him, and then by arresting Jewish elders, having them publicly flogged and crucified.

Florus...called out aloud to the soldiers to plunder that which was called the Upper Market Place, and to slay those that they encountered. So the soldiers taking this exhortation of their commander in a sense agreeable to their desire of gain, did not only plunder the place they were sent to, but forcing themselves into every house, they slew its inhabitants; so the citizens fled along the narrow lanes, and the soldiers slew those that they caught, and no method of plunder was omitted; they also caught many of the quiet people, and brought them before Florus, whom he first whipped and then crucified.{Crucifixion was the standard Roman punishment for rebellion.} (Josephus, The Wars of the Jews 2.14.9)

Now there was no turning back. The Jews took up arms.

To go up against the might of the Roman Empire was nothing short of suicidal, and indeed, the Jewish War would end in great tragedy. But when it began in 66 CE, it had some astonishing successes with Florus fleeing from Jerusalem for his life and the Roman garrison isolated and overwhelmed.

But such insults to its might Rome could not abide. Jewish historian, Rabbi Berel Wein in his Echoes of Glory (p. 155) relates graphically what happened next:

The success of the Jews in driving Rome from Jerusalem sent shock waves throughout the Roman Empire. It also unleashed a wave of bloody pogroms against Jews, especially in Caesarea, Alexandria and Damascus. Thousands of Jews were slaughtered in these riots, and thousands more were sold into the slave markets of Rome.

The sages and rabbis advised a reconciliation with the Romans, seeing that, if irritated any further, Rome would retaliate with even greater force and then surely destroy the whole country and decimate the Jewish people.

Considering that the Sadducees were already pro-Rome and the Pharisees held generally moderate views, their wisdom might have prevailed. But the Zealot extremists would have none of it.

Vowing to fight to the death, they went up against a new Roman contingent making its way toward Jerusalem and slayed 6,000 Romans soldiers. Coincidentally, the victory was won on the very same spot where the Maccabees had vanquished the Greeks, and the Zealots -- seeing a Divine hand helping them -- were encouraged further.

The Roman answer was to dispatch four legions under one of the empire's most experienced commander, Vespasian.

Vespasian's strategy was to subdue conflict throughout the region first, and then to take the final prize -- Jerusalem.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »

G-d and man are
two different things

I also said "I know that judaism and christianity have their differences, but I just don't believe this is one of them"
So I know they DO differ ...

You missed my point..   My point was that they differ ON THIS ISSUE whereas you claimed that they didn't.   Not only in your original statement, but you quoted it again right above this.   
"I just don't believe this is one of them."
  Believe it or not, madmarv, but the reality is that this IS one of the issues where the two religions disagree, and it is a foundational principle of Judaism to disagree with that particular concept of Christianity.     That's a fact whether you like it or not, and whether you are in denial about it or not.