Author Topic: Afghan Pres. challenger drops out of runoff election due to lack of transparency  (Read 341 times)

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Afghan President challenger Abdullah drops out of runoff election due to lack of transparency

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/11/01/2009-11-01_afghan_president_karzais_main_challenger_to_drop_out_report.html#ixzz0VePlmnL6

Sunday, November 1st 2009, 4:00 AM

Afghan presidential challenger Abdullah Abdullah announced Sunday he would not participate in next weekend's runoff election but stopped short of calling on his supporters to boycott the balloting.

Abdullah also said the Afghan people should not accept results of an election from the current election commission and told supporters President Hamid Karzai's government had not been legitimate since its mandate expired last May.

He made no mention of agreeing to take part in any future unity government with Karzai, which the U.S. and its international partners believe is the best hope for curbing the Taliban insurgency.

Abdullah denounced the Karzai-appointed election commission for fraud in the first round ballot Aug. 20 and said his proposals for changes in the electoral body had all been rejected.

"I will not participate in the November 7 election," he said, because a "transparent election is not possible."

Asked by reporters if he was calling for a boycott, Abdullah said: "I have not made that call."

Abdullah's running mate, Homayoun Assefy, said it was up to the Independent Election Commission, which is overseeing the vote, to decide whether there will be a runoff Saturday. Commission officials could not immediately be reached for comment.

Offline Americanhero1

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • I ain't going anywhere
It was all set up

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
I couldn't care less what happens to that G_D forsaken country, only that I hope the Chinese exploit not only their copper but also everything else these scum have.
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane