Author Topic: O. doesn't want him to run, but Gov.Pat says if he's on ticket, O. will campaign  (Read 432 times)

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
Obama doesn't want him to run, but Paterson says if he's on ticket, prez will likely boost campaign

ALBANY - President Obama "prefers" he not run for election, but Gov. Paterson said Thursday he expects the commander-in-chief will campaign for him if he's on the ticket.

"I wouldn't have the slightest idea," Paterson said when asked on Bloomberg Radio if Obama would campaign for him. "If I'm the Democratic nominee, I'm sure he would."

Obama political director Patrick Gaspard recently met with the poll-challenged Paterson to tell him the White House prefers he not run for a full four-year term next year.

The President, who campaigned several times in vain for defeated New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine, drew heat from some Democrats for not hitting the stump for Bill Thompson, who lost an unexpectedly close race to Mayor Bloomberg.

Paterson, who trails his likely rival, Attorney General Andrew Cuomo, by up to 50 points in a hypothetical Democratic primary match-up, said he can't predict if he will rebound. "No one knows what the future is, but I will be a candidate," he said.

Paterson, whose job approval rating is under 20%, is running two campaign ads lauding his handling of the state's fiscal crisis, compared to other states that have fared far worse.

"The financial management has been sound and I want the people to know that," he said.

He said New York, which traditionally lags a year or more behind in recessions, is poised to come out earlier than most of the nation if the state acts prudently.

He equated the state's position to that of many parents who this year will be forced to upset their kids by telling them there won't be any holiday presents, but then being able to pay the rent in January.

Paterson, in a veiled slap at Cuomo, criticized New Yorkers who attack Wall Street even if there were individuals "who frittered away trillions of dollars in reckless schemes."

Given that Wall Street traditionally provides 20% of the state's revenues, Paterson said it's like someone from Nebraska attacking corn or from Michigan hitting the auto industry.

"It is an industry that has basically ignited the engine of our economy for over a century," he said. "That being the case, for those of us in New York to participate in this idea of just gutting Wall Street, the idea of controlling profit, which is going to significantly reduce the taxes we get" hurts the state.

Cuomo has been among those who have blasted bloated Wall Street bonuses. Meanwhile, on WOR-AM's John Gambling show, Paterson expressed frustration over a lack of a budget deal, calling it a "state of emergency."

"We are right on the edge of the cliff," he said.

He again blasted a Senate Democratic proposal to raise $500 million by refinancing tobacco settlement bonds as "ridiculous." He also contradicted his motor vehicles commissioner, who has said the state's plan to make motorists buy new license plates next year is partly a security issue.

"There's no other reason to do it except it's a revenue raiser," Paterson said of the measure, which is projected to raise $129 million.

He said he might scrap the requirement if the state can close the gap in this year's budget. "It seems to have upset so many people around the state, and people, particularly upstate, need their cars exclusively to get to work," Paterson said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/11/12/2009-11-12_obama_doesnt_want_him_to_run_but_paterson_says_if_hes_on_ticket_prez_will_likely.html#ixzz0WfgxhILC