Author Topic: British soldier could face 10 years in jail for protesting war in Afghanistan  (Read 418 times)

Offline ag337

• Master JTFer
British soldier Joe Glenton could face 10 years in jail for protesting war in Afghanistan

A British soldier who refused to return to Afghanistan and then joined an anti-war demonstration has been arrested and could face up to 10 years in prison.

Last month, Lance Cpl. Joe Glenton, 27, led a protest in London against the continued presence of British troops in Afghanistan.

London's Daily Mail reports that he already has been charged with desertion, but now is facing five new offenses for protesting.

The new charges could mean a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

"This is not about breach of military regulations," said Stop the War Coalition convener Lindsey Germain. "In the last few days, a range of military personnel have been speaking in the media in defense of this appalling war. I doubt if any of them have been arrested."

Glenton, who is from the Royal Logistic Corps, addressed a rally of anti-war protesters in London's Trafalgar Square in October. The soldier told the more than 5,000 demonstrators that the events he had witnessed in Afghanistan caused him to question the morality of his position there.

"I'm here today to make a stand beside you because I believe great wrongs have been perpetrated in Afghanistan," he told the crowd. "I cannot, in good conscience, be part of them. I'm bound by law and moral duty to try and stop them. I'm a soldier, and I belong to the profession of arms. I expected to go to war, but I also expected that the need to defend this country's interests would be legal and justifiable. I don't think this is too much to ask. It's now apparent that the conflict is neither of these, and that's why I must make this stand."

The Ministry of Defense would not comment on the new charges against Glenton, but a spokesman confirmed disciplinary action was being taken.

"As this matter is subject to court-martial proceedings, it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage," he said.

Glenton faces a court-martial (adjourned to January) for alleged desertion after going AWOL in 2007.

Despite the threat of 10 years behind bars, the soldier remains determined to speak out.

"People keep telling me I'm brave, but I don't feel brave at all -- I feel fairly terrified. It's not going to stop me, I'm going to keep going," he told the Daily Mail. "I won't be silenced. I'll keep talking and doing what I think is right. I have to, or I'll have to live with this forever if I don't."

Glenton is based in Abingdon, Oxfordshire, and joined the army in 2004.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2009/11/11/2009-11-11_british_solider_joe_glenton_faces_10_years_in_jail_for_protesting_war_in_afghani.html#ixzz0Wfq7DmUk

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
Criminals in the Netherlands get less time for rape and murder.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Bout damn time.