Author Topic: feeding one person for a year for $112.35  (Read 5258 times)

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
feeding one person for a year for $112.35
« on: November 24, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »
I wanted to share this with you all...no telling what is coming to our country at this rate....

Someone shared this so I wanted to pass it along....

My grandparents survived the depression living in a cabin at the top of a mountain and killing bears for meat.

This seemed a little easier...

It would be a GREAT emergency food backup plan....you know, when there is no food in the stores and everyone is killing each other to get food?

~Hanna~

Now this would be helpful for anyone on a tight budget, and in the very least you will have the essentials. Mind that the costs quoted in the original post would likely be higher now. You can add to this from your own garden, and foraging in the wild...

Feeding one person for a year:

“This will supply nearly 2,000 calories/day for one year with adequate protein and fat. If you know what wild foods to forage for greens or can grow a small patch of greens, you can provide vitamins at no additional cost. You will also need salt and will want some other seasonings. You may be able to grow or forage for fruits, nuts, peppers etc.

This is prob one of the more boring diets in existence, but my mother told me this is the diet that kept her family alive through the depression and WWII. They did have a garden and grew lots of collards.

1. Pinto beans, 50 pounds at Sams Club for 25.43 1500 cal/pound = 75,000
2. Field corn, 50 pounds at Feed Store for 6.50 1500 cal/pound = 75,000
3. Bakers liquid shortening 35 # at Sam's 22.49 3500 cal/pound = 122,500 calories

Buy one container liq shortening $22.49, 2 bags of beans $50.86, 6 bags of corn $39.00, Total 112.35”

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24440
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline briann

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Mmmm HMMMMM
Re: feeding one person for a year for $112.35
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 05:58:04 PM »
Very cool.  Keep this post going.  I would include that Costco for Vegetables is great.

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
  • Preservation of Dal al-Harb
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:40 PM »
The best price I have found on bulk food in 30 year cans is from the Mormons. They have the basic staples and free shipping...and you don't have to be a Mormon to participate. The Mormons have been in the food storage business for a long time.

I have quite a bit of this stashed away and all you need to add to it is a grain grinder.

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 06:29:16 PM »
Hanna,
That sounds like a good plan to me. Here's another good sight  http://www.endtimesreport.com/
PREPARATIONS
1. Food
2. Manna Meals
3. Water
4. Sanitation
5. Medical, health
6. Kerosene heaters and cookers
7. Lighting
8. Wood cooking and heating
9. Communications
10. Essential Tools
11. Home built items
12. Electrical
13. War preparedness
14. Gardening
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline Masha

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 06:31:16 PM »
A much healthier alternative would to to stock up on pemmican. Man can live on fat and meat forever without any ill effects.

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 06:35:24 PM »
A much healthier alternative would to to stock up on pemmican. Man can live on fat and meat forever without any ill effects.

What is pemmican? Spam
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
wow, thanks for all these good ideas, keep them coming.

spam has a long shelf life I read recenty, that would be a good one, too.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 07:11:21 PM »
Shortening is just about the most unhealthy thing in existence. Coconut oil, palm oil, ghee, and (for the Gentiles) bacon grease are all far better alternatives, and way tastier.

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »

Don't forget the twinkles  ;D
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 07:35:09 PM »

Turkey Spam is now available.
Infidels fighting Obamazombies and Islamazombies in the wastelands of the former United States.

"I will stand with the Blue Line should the political winds shift in an ugly direction."

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:41 PM »
this is a survival food list someone used during the great depression, it kept them alive.

Shortening is just about the most unhealthy thing in existence. Coconut oil, palm oil, ghee, and (for the Gentiles) bacon grease are all far better alternatives, and way tastier.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »

I don't care much for ham but how long would bacon grease last without a fridge, 1-2 months.
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Bacon grease doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 01:06:12 PM »

This thread should stay up there. Should there be an economic collapse being prepared is vitally important. I suggest we post more excellent suggestions on preparedness/survival here.

And in keeping with the original post in the title of this thread, here's an article I found at http://www.survivalblog.com/ about cheap survival food.

"Jim,
Being born and raised in Maine, I was introduced to B&M baked beans at a young age. Beans and brown bread were our standard fare on Saturday nights for many years. Over the years, I have grown increasingly fond of them, although harder to find in the Midwest - they seem to get crowded off many grocery store shelves in favor of lesser rivals.

In particular, I love B&M brown bread (with or without raisins) - rich, moist dense bread made with molasses and packaged in a can. It is heated inside the can (hint: slice it cold, before heating). A pat (or two) of real butter melting on it makes the meal complete.

From a preparedness perspective, both the beans (available in glass jars or cans) and brown bread are a treasure. The manufacturer confirms (below) that their standard freshness shelf life is three years from date of manufacture (longer is still good, I'm sure). Given that we regularly eat it, there is no problem adding this to our "rotation". And in the case of distress, we have the ability to heat the meal right in the can - the original MRE.

When I had trouble finding B&M at my local grocer, I wrote the B&G Foods and purchased several cases directly from their distribution group.

Blessings and love to you and your family. - BeePaw"
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »
The army has this biscuits that can last for at least a decade. I think this could be a good food to stock, if it is available for retail. 

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 01:28:45 PM »
ok,  I will post some more....

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 01:31:30 PM »

And as I find them, so will I. 

This is serious stuff, we could very easily go from a recession to a full blown depression.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 01:58:05 PM »
Yes, I agree, I've seen it coming, for quite some time.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2009, 08:09:38 PM »
 :P
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline pennyjangle

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »
here's another good site... http://beprepared.com
Hasta La Vista Baby!

Offline Spiraling Leopard

• Silver Star JTF Member
  • Eternal Vigilance
    • PIGtube-channel:
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 04:14:54 AM »
Can't you just eat grass? Cows and horses do it all day long.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »
yes, but it gets old after a while, doesnt it?

there was a Vietnam vet who survived for at least 5 years on only flies and other flying insects in his outdoors bamboo cage...his stomache bloated way up, but he lived to tell about it.

Can't you just eat grass? Cows and horses do it all day long.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »
Remember, in a prolonged SHTF situation, your neighbors will taste better than roots...   ;D

Offline Shamgar

• Master JTFer
    • TangoMike3
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »
There is a lot more to preparing for an event than food. I have been involved in "prepping for about 6 years and full time since I retired about a year ago. There are many good forums out there where you can get good information.

Below is a short review I wrote regarding Lehman's wicks for DYI olive oil lamps. Olive oil should be a part of your supply plan. You can cook with it, use as a lubricant, preservative, provides a safe flash-free light source and is cheap and readily available. Safe to store in large quaities.

When the power goes off what do you do when the flashlight batteries run out and the CVS is closed and your care package from Obongo has yet to arrive?

Olive oil is a great non-smoking oil with many uses. Lubricant, cooking and lighting. Olive oil lamps have been used for thousands of years to provide bright, smoke-free light.

Lehman's is also an excellent source for tools, euipment and other neccessities that you can use without power, running water ect.  www.lehmans.com

"You can purchase the elements and wicks at Lehman's. 6-pack for 18.95. With a bit of wire and hemp string you can easily make your own. I chose to purchase and today they arrived.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps___Lights___Oil_Lamps___Olive_Oil_Lamps_and_Parts___Parts_to_Make_Your_Own_Olive_Oil_Lamp___15650?Args=

I grabbed a mason jar out of the closet. I placed the wick in the element with about 1/4" sticking out and filled the jar with olive oil to a point about 1/4" below the top of the wire element. Add fire and instant light. I then proceeded to march through the house with the lights off. I got ooohs and ahhs from the little ones. Ethan and Katy both just gave me the eye roll and waited for me to go away."

Bottom line: Olive oild is cheap, plentiful and has multiple uses. Wicks are cheap and easy to make. The oil will not flash if the lamp is dropped and it gives off a fair amount of light.

Offline Abben

• Master JTFer
  • Down with obama!
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 06:03:18 PM »
dont forget about raman noodles. its liquid sodium but people live on it. and for 59 cents you cannot beat it