Author Topic: JDL video from 1970  (Read 8911 times)

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
JDL video from 1970
« on: April 26, 2007, 02:09:54 AM »
I got this from Israel Appell, its a short film from 1970 about the JDL its excellent. Though the print the transfer was made from is somewhat poor.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 02:29:05 AM by kahaneloyalist »
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline Until Shiloh Comes

• Senior JTFer
Re: JDL video from 1970
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 02:16:59 AM »
Kahaneloyalist, good day

You forgot the link!  ;)
Psalm 53:2 "The fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no G-D.'"

Allen-T

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 05:21:58 AM »
Wow! I just downloaded it and posted it on Youtube in 2 parts on SamanthaTheCat!!

Offline Gam Bashan veGam Gilad

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Senior JTFer
  • Avi Farhan – One Day, Brothers, We Shall Be Back!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:44:57 AM »
Great !
Thanks!! :)

Was that Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L HI"D in his youth behind that desk in the interview scene?

Wow.. pay attention to the music...! True national idealist songs: "Jerusalem of Gold" (music and words by Naomi Shemer Z"L) and "The Way to Eilat" (words by Yechiel Mohar Z"L and music by Shlomo Weissfish Z"L). Do these songs represent the kind of music they used to listen to in JDL? This is just astonishing!! Pure idealism in every sense of the word..

Too bad the media in Israel today doesn't seem to like having these anymore... too "idealistic", too "spiritual", too "rightist", too "anti-ego preaching" - therefore ratingless. :(

..And to think there was a time when this type of music was the most common, popular, natural type you could find while tuning through Israeli radio stations.

Once upon a time in Israel...

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »
Great !
Thanks!! :)

Was that Rabbi Meir Kahane ZT"L HI"D in his youth behind that desk in the interview scene?

Wow.. pay attention to the music...! True national idealist songs: "Jerusalem of Gold" (music and words by Naomi Shemer Z"L) and "The Way to Eilat" (words by Yechiel Mohar Z"L and music by Shlomo Weissfish Z"L). Do these songs represent the kind of music they used to listen to in JDL? This is just astonishing!! Pure idealism in every sense of the word..

Too bad the media in Israel today doesn't seem to like having these anymore... too "idealistic", too "spiritual", too "rightist", too "anti-ego preaching" - therefore ratingless. :(

..And to think there was a time when this type of music was the most common, popular, natural type you could find while tuning through Israeli radio stations.

Once upon a time in Israel...

Yes, that was the Rav being interviewed behind the desk, in Israel he is know for a more confrontational style because he was literally shut out of all more serious venues so his message was mostly spread through his rallies. But he was a brilliant and articulate speaker in more relaxed settings as well.

The reason the Israeli media doesnt play good idealistic music anymore isnt because it doesnt sell, but the media knows that it has an effect on people what music they hear. If they hear positive music, it inspires them to do that which is right. When they hear garbage glorifing everything disgusting and unJewish sadly it also has an influence.
Ramban

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:03:23 AM »
I saw Alex there he's quite rich now
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:13:55 AM »
I saw Alex there he's quite rich now

Your a JDL old timer?

Who is Alex in the film?
Ramban

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »
No i know him he runs some Karate schools 

Heres a link on yahoo many links about him     http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=alex+sternberg+&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:24:33 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 09:24:00 AM »
Does he still like the Rav?

It would be a good place for us kahanists(excluding me since I am not in New York) to train and meet
Ramban

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:17 AM »
I don'nt know..heres links on yahoo about him     http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=alex+sternberg+&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

DR. ALEX STERNBERG,the founder and chief instructor of Shotokan Karate USA, is a 6th Dan from the Japan Karate Association (JKA), the World Karate Federation (WKF), and the USA National Karate-do Federation (USA-NKF).

He began his karate training in 1962 at the age of 12, attaining the rank of Shodan in 1968 under Master George Cofield, one of America's early Karate pioneers. Dr. Sternberg was a prominent competitor from the 1960s through the early 1980s, winning close to 90 national and international events, including a bronze medal at the 1969 World Championships. Coaching United States National teams in World Championships, Junior and Senior Pan American, and Maccabiah Games, he has produced more medal winners than any other American coach.

He was one of the founding members of the USA-NKF, a member of the Board of Directors and Team Selection Committee, and was Chairman of the Referee Council from 1994-2000. During his tenure he raised the number of referees in the USA-NKF from less than 40 to well over 300. His mission was to raise the refereeing standards in U.S. tournaments and bring new recognition to American officials. He was responsible for increasing the number of Americans earning international referee licenses from three in 1994 to nearly 30 in 2000.

Holding a Masters Degree in Exercise Physiology and a Doctorate in Sports Science, he is also Director of the Pediatric Pulmonary Function Laboratory in the Health Science Center of Brooklyn (Downstate Medical Center), and works with asthmatic children in the Asthma Center of Excellence. Shihan Sternberg currently teaches karate to students of all ages and levels at his dojo in Lawrence, NY, and holds several annual competitions--most notably the Big Apple Challenge--which draws athletes from across the world
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:28:59 AM by mord »

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 09:31:04 AM »
two comments:

1. NICE leisure suit, Rabbi kahane!

2. Remind me of the Guardian Angels of NY...
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 09:34:53 AM »
so ask him about it, it is worth pursuing, I have actually heard of him from some guys at my Yeshiva who had learned under him, maybe show him the film.
Ramban

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 09:36:27 AM »
so ask him about it, it is worth pursuing, I have actually heard of him from some guys at my Yeshiva who had learned under him, maybe show him the film.
I have'nt seen him in 4 yrs

Shot at 2010-01-03

Scriabin

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 10:01:51 AM »
Did I see Irv Rubin practicing Karate in one of the scenes?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 10:32:42 AM »
Did I see Irv Rubin practicing Karate in one of the scenes?
I thought i saw him also but that guy was too short for Rubin

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 06:31:22 PM »
http://www.israelappel.com/jdl%20doc%20jdel%2069to70%20%2010.mpg
This is a higher quality version of the same film
Ramban

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2007, 01:16:03 AM »
http://www.israelappel.com/jdl%20doc%20jdel%2069to70%20%2010.mpg
This is a higher quality version of the same film

Thanks. This is an enormous donation!
Good job. ;)

The reason the Israeli media doesnt play good idealistic music anymore isnt because it doesnt sell, but the media knows that it has an effect on people what music they hear. If they hear positive music, it inspires them to do that which is right. When they hear garbage glorifing everything disgusting and unJewish sadly it also has an influence.

Precisely.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 09:38:02 PM »
OK I SHOWED MY FATHER THE JDL VIDEO and he says that he recognizes one of the trainers with the hat (6:54 in the video and he's also shown earlier carrying some guns).  He says he is ALEX STERNBERG and my father said that he recognizes the Karate style they were doing and it was Shotokan Karate style.  I think his info is accurate since I did a google search and found that Alex Sternberg is a Champion Shotokan fighter.  Mord also says he recognizes him so it is cool. 

I also found this on the web "Young Howard got a whole new education from the renowned Sensei Alex Sternberg, who was a former bodyguard to Meir Kahane, during his time at the Jewish Defense League"
http://www.antonnews.com/roslynnews/2007/02/02/sports/sensei.html

Also in Kahane's JDL book his name is found on  page 116.

He seems to have written a lot of books and dvd's and he seems to be very famous in Karate.  http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Edge-KARATE-Alex-Sternberg/dp/B00065AXYC/ref=sr_1_2/104-3372663-6002341?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1177899497&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 10:29:12 PM by jdl4ever »
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2007, 02:02:21 AM »
OK I SHOWED MY FATHER THE JDL VIDEO and he says that he recognizes one of the trainers with the hat (6:54 in the video and he's also shown earlier carrying some guns).  He says he is ALEX STERNBERG and my father said that he recognizes the Karate style they were doing and it was Shotokan Karate style.  I think his info is accurate since I did a google search and found that Alex Sternberg is a Champion Shotokan fighter.  Mord also says he recognizes him so it is cool. 

I also found this on the web "Young Howard got a whole new education from the renowned Sensei Alex Sternberg, who was a former bodyguard to Meir Kahane, during his time at the Jewish Defense League"
http://www.antonnews.com/roslynnews/2007/02/02/sports/sensei.html

Also in Kahane's JDL book his name is found on  page 116.

He seems to have written a lot of books and dvd's and he seems to be very famous in Karate.  http://www.amazon.com/Winning-Edge-KARATE-Alex-Sternberg/dp/B00065AXYC/ref=sr_1_2/104-3372663-6002341?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1177899497&sr=8-2

Brilliant! Very good sources!
Thanks for the information.

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2007, 02:13:31 AM »
Thanks for the compliment.  Are you גם בשן וגם גלעד on the Hebrew forum?
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 02:29:08 AM »
Thanks for the compliment.  Are you גם בשן וגם גלעד on the Hebrew forum?

;) .כן, אחי

Yes, bro'. ;)