Author Topic: Shiptar  (Read 3931 times)

Moshe92

Shiptar
« on: December 26, 2009, 10:02:25 PM »
It says on wikipedia that "shqiptar" is a term Albanians call themselves. I once saw an Albanian on youtube write "Kosovo est shqiptar" or something like that. However, it says on urban dictionary that "shiptar" means an Albanian guy who is old, dirty, smelly, and unemployed. Is there a difference between the words "shqiptar" and "shiptar?"

Offline Serbian Canadian

• Senior JTFer
Re: Shiptar
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 10:23:06 PM »
"Sqiptar" is how Albanians call themselves in their language. We call them "Shiptars" instead of "Sqiptar" because there is no letter q in Serbian. So Shiptar would be a translation of Sqiptar from the Albanian language. It's become a sort of ethnic slur to call them "Shiptars" but that's what they like to call themselves. I suppose it's kinda like how Blacks get offended when a white person calls them a [censored]*** but they're fine calling themselves [censored]****. I'm not sure about the origins of that word, I don't believe there is even anything offensive about it.

BTW, anyone can write definitions on Urban dictionary so it was probably a Serb who wrote that it was an old, dirty, smelly, unemployed Albanian. :::D

Offline ProudToBeSerb

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 03:22:06 AM »
Sqiptar in old times means man who deals with animals - stockman. Today it's name for that people - Albanians - it's how they call themselves. But when we serbs call someone shiptar(sqiptar it's disame) it means dirty albanian - an albanian who lived in Kosovo, because they are not on their theritory and that's why they are dirty to us. So sqiptar is albanians who live in Kosovo to us Serbs.
Daj Boze da se Srbi sloze !!!

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:05:08 PM »
in their translation it means "son of an eagle" :o
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,