Author Topic: How much should I spend on Tefillin?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
How much should I spend on Tefillin?
« on: January 31, 2010, 05:59:03 AM »
I do not have a lot of money, I live on a tight budget.  I want to fulfill the mitzvah as best I can, and I really enjoyed putting on tefillin when I did it for the 1st time a few weeks back.  Down the road when I have amassed larger disposable income I would like to get a nicer set, or so I have in mind.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: How much should I spend on Tefillin?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 02:07:52 PM »
Here is my advice:

DO NOT spend too little on your tefillin.... I originally looked at $150 tefillin and a friend of mine did not allow me to buy them, he questioned whether they were truly Kosher or not.

DO NOT spend too much on your tefillin, because you do not want to go broke to do the mitzvah.

I would recommend thinking about $300 tefillin {which is what I spent}. My tefillin were obtained through a Chabad Rabbi who ensured for me that they were Kosher, and taught me how and when to wear them.

This is my experience...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »
I do not have a lot of money, I live on a tight budget.  I want to fulfill the mitzvah as best I can, and I really enjoyed putting on tefillin when I did it for the 1st time a few weeks back.  Down the road when I have amassed larger disposable income I would like to get a nicer set, or so I have in mind.
Speak to your local ORTHODOX Rabbi.

Offline Yaacov Ben Yehuda

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:45:59 AM »
i bought my pair through Chabad and they costed me $180 (canadian)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:58 PM »
i bought my pair through Chabad and they costed me $180 (canadian)

Tomorrow I have a Krav Maga lesson next to Chabad.  I will stop in tomorrow.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein