Poll

Should JTF have a board or section for lighter, off-topic discussion?

Yes-one separate board in General Discussion category or elsewhere
3 (20%)
Yes-but make a new category for Off Topic discussion, possibly with a few different boards within...
3 (20%)
No, no changes necessary
9 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Create an Off-Topic Section or Board  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
Create an Off-Topic Section or Board
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:27:57 AM »
I was just wondering why there is no off-topic board on here. 

It might be nice to have a place to chit-chat about lighter things at times...anything from sports to movies, or from cooking to music, pop culture, Technology, survival/disaster preparedness, lifestyle, etc.   

For one example, I was just thinking about starting a thread to talk about what everyone's favorite movies are, but there is no appropriate place to put it.  I think a new category for different off-topic subjects of discussion (or single board for all off-topic) might be nice.  It would also probably help keep the clutter down on the general board.

Vote if you want, or delete this if it's dumb  ;D
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Create an Off-Topic Section or Board
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:34:43 AM »
I do not agree. JTF tries to be supportive of Torah observant lifestyle and most hollywood movies today run entirely against the Torah lifestyle. I am very happy that JTF closes for Shabbat and Yom Tov... I don't think that providing space for idle gossip and pictures which are immodest is a good use of JTF time and space...

I think JTF should continue with the serious topics which we discuss instead of hollywood gossip.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:36 AM »
But that is already happening...

Look at all the posts about the idle gossip of hollywood movie stars, etc...

I do not agree. JTF tries to be supportive of Torah observant lifestyle and most hollywood movies today run entirely against the Torah lifestyle. I am very happy that JTF closes for Shabbat and Yom Tov... I don't think that providing space for idle gossip and pictures which are immodest is a good use of JTF time and space...

I think JTF should continue with the serious topics which we discuss instead of hollywood gossip.

SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:45:49 AM »
But that is already happening...

Look at all the posts about the idle gossip of hollywood movie stars, etc...

Yea, that's partly why I think it might be good.  It would help cut down on that clutter on the main board if people had another place to post it.
  ;D
Thus the Jews struck all their enemies with the sword, killing and destroying; and they did what they pleased to those who hated them.

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:12:35 AM »
Yes, I agree.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:16:13 AM »
I think that's what General Discussion is for.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:28:10 AM »
I think that's what General Discussion is for.

It seems this board is mostly used for talking politics and JTF issues though, which of course are the 'general' subjects of this Forum. 

An off-topic area for discussion of more mundane things make sense to me.  Or if this General Discussion board is in fact for that, there should be a different board for Politics, Current Events, etc...and it should probably be placed at the top. 

I think the ideal would be a new category for all Off-Topic stuff.  Within said category could be a board for Film, a board for Literature, a board for Music, a board for Sporting, a board for Outdoors/Wilderness Survival (or include that as a sub-board in sporting), a board for Cooking and Recipes...I bet the ladies (and some men too, myself included!) would love this one, and so on and so forth.

This category should, if implemented, probably go somewhere towards the bottom, and perhaps boards that seem to have no real home, like the guns and self defense board, could also go into the off-topic category.

In any case, it's just an idea I had.  I think every forum, even serious ones, should have a place for off-topic and lighter discussion.  And as has been said, it would also help keep the more serious boards free of useless and mundane clutter.  Of course it makes no actual difference either way in the scheme of things.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 01:36:16 AM by Ze'ev »

Offline arksis

• Master JTFer
  • Dawn
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 08:04:25 AM »
I'm with CK on this one......General Discussion means just that.......a little bit of everything!
---Never, ever deal with terrorists. Hunt them down and, more important, mercilessly punish those states and groups that fund, arm, support, or simply allow their territories to be used by the terrorists with impunity.
Meir Kahane

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
Well based on the vote it looks like the masses have spoken, and do not agree with me.

As I said, it was just an idea.  I was up way too late last night, and must have been pretty bored to even make this thread  :laugh:

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 02:16:28 PM »

I think what muman is saying is that yes its already happening, but he doesn't not want to promote or nurture talk of hollyweird scum.
My personal opinion is that there's really nothing worth talking about in terms of hollyweird.
Or for that matter todays so called music.
Todays music and movies are total trash not worth mentioning.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ze'ev

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 04:31:36 PM »

I think what muman is saying is that yes its already happening, but he doesn't not want to promote or nurture talk of hollyweird scum.
My personal opinion is that there's really nothing worth talking about in terms of hollyweird.
Or for that matter todays so called music.
Todays music and movies are total trash not worth mentioning.

Well those were just a few examples of subjects. There is also higher culture: art, literature, poetry, etc...not to mention the sciences.

I understand the point though, and cannot disagree.

Moshe92

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 04:39:35 PM »
On the Hebrew forum, the general discussion section is just for serious topics, and there's a separate section for funny/off-topic threads. I like both forums the way they are now.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:41:43 PM »

JTF closes for shabbos and yom tov only EST. So if one is somewhere else in the world and it's shabbos by him, but not NY,he can go on the forum. This is terrible and goes against the concept of closing it. If it's closed it should be closed from the earliest time shabbos starts in the world to the latest time it ends.

And yes, JTF shouldn't have any "crap", but we're human, and some of us like that "crap" and want to talk to our friends about it.

I think it's a great idea to have a separate section!

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 05:08:49 PM »
We could make a hollywood scum section and then those who only want to participate in that, can. I don't like discussing that, myself.
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline RanterMaximus

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
I think the forum is fine the way that it is.  Unless the vast majority of post are in relation to off-topic subjects, I see no need for a change.