Author Topic: The Torah and atheists  (Read 2175 times)

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
The Torah and atheists
« on: May 03, 2007, 07:09:56 AM »
I consider it to be a contradiction to be both Jewish and an atheist?  I assume this forum agrees unanimously with the above assertion. 

Is it a waste of time to tell a Jewish atheist that Moses did receive the Torah? 

An atheist on another forum stated the following:

" [Here are the questions I was referring to:

How do you know that what the rabbis tell you is correct? Do you just inherently trust them and their story? What do you say when a scientist tells you the earth is billions of years old, that men evolved from primate precursors of humans and monkeys, and that dinosaurs once roamed the earth?

There are many, many interpretations of God out there, within orthodox and non-orthodox Judaism, and of course outside of Judaism. I would be much more likely to believe your version if it were the only one out there. If this God actually performed any of the miracles that he is storied to be capable of in our time, I would believe as well. Until then, HE leaves me little to go on, as do the rest of the deities out there.

I therefore would especially not choose to participate in a very divisive, violent situation, such as the one you're in based on this version of a supernatural being's desires.

My next question - how did you decide on this version? Were you born orthodox into a Zionistic family? Did you have a revelation to become this way?

I was born to a Jewish mother by the way and I have spent some time looking into your philosophy. For many of the reasons alluded to above, I can't really pursue it at this time but thanks for the offer. I also view the G-d issue from the Elie Wiesel perspective:

"Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed. Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky.
Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever.
Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God Himself. Never."]  "

How would you respond to this atheist? 

I was informed by this forum that Weisel was a Kapo.  But before I make this accusation, I want to know if you have any proof? 

Elie wrote about a Kapo who beat his father:  http://www.bookrags.com/notes/nit/PART4.htm

Toward the middle of the page: 

"Yet another time, Idek the Kapo has another fit of rage directed against Elie's father. Beaten by an iron bar, Elie's father falls to the floor."

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
Re: The Torah and atheists
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:09:11 AM »

Most Aethiests have incredibly strong faith, they just worship themselves rather then Hashem. The strength of the Judaism is the revelation, unlike Islam, or Christianity, or every other religion the Jews recieved a mass revelation at Har Sinai with 600,000 adult male witnesses.

I dont think Weisel was literally a kapo, he is a dick though.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline RationalThought110

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 03:38:44 PM »

Most Aethiests have incredibly strong faith, they just worship themselves rather then Hashem. The strength of the Judaism is the revelation, unlike Islam, or Christianity, or every other religion the Jews recieved a mass revelation at Har Sinai with 600,000 adult male witnesses.

I dont think Weisel was literally a kapo, he is a dick though.

I think the people I described above deny the revelation at Har Sinai. 

Offline kahaneloyalist

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 10:08:03 PM »
I am sure they do, on the other hand no one else even dares to claim a mass revelation. That has been passed down to each generation, that is really the lynchpin to prove the Torah. The massive archeological evidence in support of the Torah, which the anti-Torah crowd simply ignores is just more proof of our position.
"For it is through the mercy of fools that all Justice is lost"
Ramban

Offline jdl4ever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 11:19:51 PM »
It is very difficult and nearly impossible to turn around an athiest or an agnostic who doesn't care about Judaism.  I know someone like this.  I think the only way is to not bring up anything religious with them.  Just befriend them and eventually maybe something will rub off.  Only if they bring up something themselves then talk about it a little bit (don't overdo it and drive them away).  Basically act like a good Jew, be friendly and over time maybe the will see how a religious Jew acts and maybe it will affect them somehow. 
"Enough weeping and wailing; and the following of leaders & rabbis who are pygmies of little faith & less understanding."
"I believe very much in a nation beating their swords into plowshears but when my enemy has a sword I don't want a plowshear"
-Rabbi Meir Kahane Zs'l HYD