Author Topic: Kosher Fish Machlokes  (Read 2785 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Kosher Fish Machlokes
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:03:57 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/03/08/types-fish-attack-unfit-kosher-label/?test=latestnews
Several Types of Fish Under Attack as Unfit for Kosher Label
FOXNews.com

A group of Ultra-orthodox Rabbis from New York have declared several types of fish, including wild salmon, unfit to be called kosher because they can contain tiny parasitic worms that can escape the organs of the fish and find their way into the meat.

Lock up your lox, smoked fish are under assault!

A group of ultra-orthodox rabbis from New York have declared several types of fish, including wild salmon, unfit to be called kosher because they can contain tiny parasitic worms that can escape the organs of the fish and find their way into the meat.

In the organization's opinion, observant Jews can no longer safely eat many versions of salted and smoked delicacies like lox, nova and sable, traditional favorites during the upcoming Passover season.

The critter in question, the Anisakis, is a tiny worm that can cause serious intestinal problems in humans if ingested alive. But freezing or cooking the host fish usually kills it, rendering the food it has infested harmless.

However, Jewish teachings prohibit the consumption of visible parasites, whether they are alive or dead, particularly ones that enter the meat after the host animal has died -- though the interpretation of the rules is continually open to debate.

Jack Lebewohl of 2nd Avenue Deli, one of the top kosher restaurants in New York City, discounts the recommendation, saying "there are special laws that deal with this, and all of the mainstream rabbis say it’s kosher, there are no problems."

Rabbi Moshe Elefant of the Union of Orthodox Congregations of America, the world’s largest kosher certifier, says his organization has examined the situation and has determined that everything is fine, but that "we appreciate people coming up with new issues and making sure that the food we eat is really kosher."

Along with salmon from the Pacific Northwest, the rabbis of Chevra Mehadrin have issued a list of over a dozen fish that are susceptible to Anisakis infestation, declaring them unfit to eat. These include certain kinds of cod, halibut, and several other breeds.

Asked how he expects the rabbis' pronouncement to affect business, Lebewohl laughed.

"Zero," he said. "I’m not even going to say one percent. Zero."
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Kosher Fish Machlokes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:05 PM »
Some people want to ban everything.   They think that banning things and making life harder and more limited is the overall goal of Judaism.   They are wrong.

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:45:25 AM »
This problem is known since years. In my country all fish factories are checking and screening the fish and removing the worms if necessary before selling it. This process is controlled by the particular district veterinary office.

I think if this process is done in my country the Jewish factories and stores do it already. :)

"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »
I'm sure the fish that people ate in ancient times also had worms in it.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »
As far as I know (and it seems to be confirmed in this article), the kashrut laws forbid consumption of visible organisms, microscopic parasites are not prohibited.

I know the problem with worms and other small vermins from another type of food- leafy vegetables. I was made aware to this problem by religious people but I share their pickiness in this case and I scan extra carefully this type of food because I really hate the thought of eating these trefot and even more I hate to discover one in a dish which I had prepared and already begun eating.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 03:07:42 PM »
As far as I know (and it seems to be confirmed in this article), the kashrut laws forbid consumption of visible organisms, microscopic parasites are not prohibited.

I know the problem with worms and other small vermins from another type of food- leafy vegetables. I was made aware to this problem by religious people but I share their pickiness in this case and I scan extra carefully this type of food because I really hate the thought of eating these trefot and even more I hate to discover one in a dish which I had prepared and already begun eating.

Yes it is rather disgusting whenever there is a bug found in food.  I have quite the aversion to it myself.

However, the anisakis has been around from ancient times, and the science about its origin has not changed.  This is another example of extremists looking for something to be picky about in order to ban something else from life or to add a layer of supervision/kashering to make money off of it.  In order to do so, they rely on any scientific opinion that leads to a strict opinion.   Another example of this was the Indian sheitel burning.   The extremist involved refused to heed the opinion of an expert on Hindu religion and Indian culture who said there was no worry of involvement of avoda zara in making the wigs.  Instead there were thousands of dollars worth of wigs burned...  for no apparent reason.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:14:26 PM by Kahane-Was-Right BT »

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »
Perhaps you are right in this case. I remember a few years ago there was a similar report about ultra-orthodox Jews who wanted to declare the New York tap water as non-kosher because of some tiny invisible creatures found on the reservoir.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »
Attention Jews:  Let us learn from the example of the Rambam as cited here:  http://yediah.blogspot.com/2010/03/chumrot-chilul-hashem-parasites-in.html