Author Topic: I would appreciate other people's input  (Read 1932 times)

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
I would appreciate other people's input
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:42:53 AM »
How do they deal with people at work who are very difficult, incompetent and in positions of authority?  All advice is very much wanted and appreciated

Offline Irish Zionist

• Forum Administrator
  • Ultimate JTFer
    • My zootube channel
Re: I would appreciate other people's input
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48:34 AM »
Depends on the circumstances. Could you give some examples?
The banding together by the nations of the world against Israel is the guarantee that their time of destruction is near and the final redemption of the Jew at hand.
Rabbi Meir Kahane

Offline ~Hanna~

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Be a light in the darkness.......
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:45:40 AM »
They who?
SHEMA ISRAEL
שמע ישראל

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »
They who?

Sorry Hanna, "they," meaning other JTFers

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »
 Sorry for the delay in writing back.  I am on a service with very sick patients and my senior resident is a very power hungry, ignorant, authoritarian [censored].  I had a huge fight with her today because she wanted me to write an order that I thought would potentially harm a patient, possibly cause him to have another heart attack.  I told her that I wasn't comfortable writing the order and asked her if she would do it. I took out my prescription pad and handed it to her.  She threw it at me across the table saying "write out the name for me".  I told her that she was being very rude and that she had no business speaking to me like that.   Anyway, I dont trust her judgment and I am suppoesed to go to her for advice on how to manage things if they are beyong my abilities, I wouldn't trust her managing my hamster!  Let me stop because it is just making me more nervous.  I am sure she is going to speak to my chief resident on my day off and while I am in the right morally, excluding her inappropriate behavior, I dont know that I will be supported by the chief resident. 

It's all very unnerving.  The truth is she can kill patients, that's how stupid and arrogant she is

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:24:08 AM »
If I were you, I would go above her head and mention your concerns in a very polite and professional way to her superiors. Write it out a few times and get the wording right. Lives are on the line here so you have to speak up even if it harms you personally.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »
Sorry for the delay in writing back.  I am on a service with very sick patients and my senior resident is a very power hungry, ignorant, authoritarian kurva.  I had a huge fight with her today because she wanted me to write an order that I thought would potentially harm a patient, possibly cause him to have another heart attack.  I told her that I wasn't comfortable writing the order and asked her if she would do it. I took out my prescription pad and handed it to her.  She threw it at me across the table saying "write out the name for me".  I told her that she was being very rude and that she had no business speaking to me like that.   Anyway, I dont trust her judgment and I am suppoesed to go to her for advice on how to manage things if they are beyong my abilities, I wouldn't trust her managing my hamster!  Let me stop because it is just making me more nervous.  I am sure she is going to speak to my chief resident on my day off and while I am in the right morally, excluding her inappropriate behavior, I dont know that I will be supported by the chief resident. 

It's all very unnerving.  The truth is she can kill patients, that's how stupid and arrogant she is
In a situation like that where other people's lives and health are at risk, I would see about finding another job.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 03:37:37 PM »
I have to add that the kicker to this story is that this woman isn't even a citizen in this country. Why is this important because her manners are from a culture that respects authoritarianism and one upmanship.  in short this evil [censored] thinks she can come to a country and throw orders at people that make know sense without being politely asked about the rational e of her clinical decision.

Even worse, is that she lies to the Attending physician when something is her fault, blaming it on other residents.  She badmouths everyone.  I am on 24 hour call with her in a few days and I am WORRIED.  I dont trust her judgement, knowledge base, none of it. 

That's why I need JTfers input--badly

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »
I've always heard that it's never a good idea to go over a supervisor's head.  However, being that lives are in danger, I think it's the wise thing to do.  But make sure you cover yourself first.  By that I mean, make sure she can't come at you with anything else.  Keep copies of your performance reviews.  And make sure you get credit when it's due to you.  Also, it couldn't hurt to start looking for a new job. 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 03:56:56 PM »
I've always heard that it's never a good idea to go over a supervisor's head.  However, being that lives are in danger, I think it's the wise thing to do.  But make sure you cover yourself first.  By that I mean, make sure she can't come at you with anything else.  Keep copies of your performance reviews.  And make sure you get credit when it's due to you.  Also, it couldn't hurt to start looking for a new job. 

My contract ends at the end of June and I have another position.  The question is how much unpleasantness can I tolerate.  Also I need this person to goto when I can't handle complicated medical things without guidance.  And worst of all, I dont trust her for a minute.  and If I write an order based upon what she says and she's wrong, the [censored] will deny it.  She's already done that once

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 04:06:49 PM »
Is there any other manager there you can confide in? 

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 04:28:43 PM »
Is there any other manager there you can confide in? 

Not really I had a problem with a Muslim guy much earlier in the year. He was lazy, incompetent, mean, and had ADD, he never remembered or listened to what the attending said.  Then when you knew more than he did, he became enraged--sicko.  Other than that, the ten other residents I have worked with have been better than excellent

Offline Zelhar

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
Your case involves more than just workplace politics. You must forget about your ego, do what's good for your patient.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 05:31:53 PM »
You use Serbian word kurva :laugh: I am having the same problems with my manager. I pray to God to move out of this team soon.
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 05:51:03 PM »
You use Serbian word kurva :laugh: I am having the same problems with my manager. I pray to G-d to move out of this team soon.

I have never worked with anyone so hung up on power and authority as this [censored], and I have avoided confllicts all year with would be almost a**holes

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 06:05:05 PM »
I feel the same pain.  :'( I work since age of 15 and did not come across someone like my manger.
Serbia will never surrender Kosovo to the breakaway province's ethnic Albanian majority or trade its territory for European Union or NATO membership,

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
I feel the same pain.  :'( I work since age of 15 and did not come across someone like my manger.

I think we just need to keep calm because when she threw that precription pad at me and ordered me to write, I wanted to tell her to go Blank herself.  I mean I would never even think of doing that to someone--Especially at work

Online Confederate Kahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »
If I were you, I would go above her head and mention your concerns in a very polite and professional way to her superiors. Write it out a few times and get the wording right. Lives are on the line here so you have to speak up even if it harms you personally.

I would say go to the HR generalist and have a talk about this senior resident.
Chad M ~ Your rebel against white guilt

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »

I think we just need to keep calm because when she threw that precription pad at me and ordered me to write, I wanted to tell her to go Blank herself.  I mean I would never even think of doing that to someone--Especially at work
The most important thing is not to loose your cool. Let her get stupid and make a fool out of herself. Maintain your position in a calm way and just keep telling her your not comfortable doing what she wants unless she is willing to put it in writing. Tell her your not refusing her order but she needs to put the order in writing. You had her when she tossed the pad at you I would have picked it up and handed it back to her. The trick with dealing with people like that is to never let them see you get flustered. Once she sees your not going to swallow everything she is dishing out she may decide to be more reasonable and think a little before she tells you to do things that are not right.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 06:51:28 PM »
CJD,

I wish you could float into my body and deal with her, because you are so calm.  I did hand her back the pad and said, you are able to write, you write it.  That was after she threw it at me. 

Offline nessuno

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2010, 07:04:27 PM »
I'm sorry you are going through this.  I can relate to your dilemma.
The only answer is to go over her head, if she tries to force you to do something that you are really not comfortable with.
I'll be praying for you.  May God help you to protect the patients from her.  May he give you strength to tolerate this rotten beast.

Remember - no attending likes a dead patient.  It is better to get a phone call from a resident.

Be very CAREFUL of people whose WORDS don't match their ACTIONS.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »
The only answer is to go over her head, if she tries to force you to do something that you are really not comfortable with.
I'll be praying for you.  May G-d help you to protect the patients from her.  May he give you strength to tolerate this rotten beast.

Remember - no attending likes a dead patient.  It is better to get a phone call from a resident.

Bullcat, thank you.  I hate this woman and I am scared to death of being with her on overnight call.  she's a moron and a liar and she's just bad news all over

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 07:13:05 PM »
I am not lawyer but I studied torts. I believe what she did can be put as battery and assault.

Assault is intentional conduct by one person directed at another that places the other in apprehension of imminent bodily harm of offensive contact.

Battery is an intentional infliction of harmful of offensive bodily contact.

She has no right to hit you with any object,neither paper nor rock. Second, your manager acted aggressively towards you and placed you in position of immediate danger.

Offline serbian army

• Master JTFer
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »
I'll be praying for you.  May G-d help you to protect the patients from her.  May he give you strength to tolerate this rotten beast.

Bullcat, thank you.  I hate this woman and I am scared to death of being with her on overnight call.  she's a moron and a liar and she's just bad news all over
This is what I am talking about.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 07:15:39 PM »
CJD,

I wish you could float into my body and deal with her, because you are so calm.  I did hand her back the pad and said, you are able to write, you write it.  That was after she threw it at me. 
I have had a great deal of practice over the years. I do basic labor relations for a group. The thing is my people are union so it gives me guidelines on how my people are treated. I was schooled by the best people with years of experience on how to deal with people who for the lack of a better way to say it like to break b-lls. My basic rules are to always be fair and deal up front. Never take cr-p but by the same token don't look for problems. From time to time you will have to deal with people like the one that's giving you trouble. The thing you always have to fall back on is the best interest of the people in your care. Keep a small book and always let this person see you taking notes when confrontation takes place. Let her see you making documentation. What I am telling you will either get her off your back or force her to become even more obnoxious and bring things to a head. 
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years