Author Topic: Fruit & Veg diet doesnt prevent Cancer (Y'sh) according to new research  (Read 2190 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
I have always been a bit doubtful that diet makes that big of a difference concerning whether a person will contract a cancer. I truly believe that cancer is primarily a genetic issue (and it runs in my family, grandmother and father) as opposed to an environmental issue. This latest research on the topic seems to suggest that I am correct.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/8610102.stm

'No proof' diet prevents cancer

There is no evidence a healthy diet can prevent people developing cancer, a Nobel-winning scientist has warned.

Sir Tim Hunt said eating healthy foods could only provide a modest reduction in the risk of developing the disease.

He said the two "most terrible" cancer-causing poisons in the environment were air and water.

The scientist made his comments in a keynote address at the Association for International Cancer Research (AICR) conference in Fife.

Sir Tim, a principal scientist with Cancer Research UK, said there was no evidence from studies that diet could prevent cancer.

He agreed with recent research which found eating the recommended "five-a-day" will only provide limited protection in preventing the disease.
“ It is manifestly clear we can't apply the knowledge we have to curing cancer because people are still dying from it ”
Sir Tim Hunt

He pointed out anything which damages chromosomes or attacks DNA can cause cancer.

"The two most terrible poisons in the environment causing cancer are air and water," he said.

"If you stopped breathing, you wouldn't get cancer, but you have to breathe to stay alive.

"It is the air itself, not any pollutants in it, and water which are constantly attacking our DNA."

The old adage of "a little of what you fancy" should not be discounted, he suggested.

Rare disease

But he warned that prevention is better than cure when it comes to the health risks associated with tobacco use.

"Lung cancer was a very rare disease before people started smoking," he said.

In the lecture entitled The Truth About Cancer, Sir Tim also stated there are still "very basic things" which are not understood about cancer.

He said: "There is a marked difference in applying knowledge you already have to obtaining new knowledge.

"It is manifestly clear we can't apply the knowledge we have to curing cancer because people are still dying from it."

About 200 researchers from 28 different countries are attending the AICR's 30th anniversary conference in St Andrews this week.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
Eating 5 a day might still help with things like cardiovascular health and the phytonutrients never hurt. However it is depressing somewhat that so much is out of people's control.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer

Take a pair of identical twins, put one on a diet of fast food, burgers, pizza and other assorted crap, take the other and feed him fresh vegetables, fruit, and fresh lean meats. Come back in 10 years and compare the two. It's common sense people! Don't treat your body like sh*t, it is the only one you're going to get!

Don't know what effect the healthy food has on avoiding cancer, but I am sure there's a huge list of maladies you will be spared of if you eat properly. Not to mention you will have a far better quality of life.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom

Take a pair of identical twins, put one on a diet of fast food, burgers, pizza and other assorted crap, take the other and feed him fresh vegetables, fruit, and fresh lean meats. Come back in 10 years and compare the two. It's common sense people! Don't treat your body like sh*t, it is the only one you're going to get!

Don't know what effect the healthy food has on avoiding cancer, but I am sure there's a huge list of maladies you will be spared of if you eat properly. Not to mention you will have a far better quality of life.

I believe this article is talking about the development of cancers in people. There is no mention of general health benefits from a healthy diet. I did not post this to for the purpose of asserting that fruits and vegatables are not good for the health. But I have a particular interest in the development of cancer.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Muman maybe this just means that we need to rely completely on God in some matters. We can only do so much in our own power but God has power over every matter.

Offline MasterWolf1

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • RESIST NOW!!!
I tend to eat meat in my diet you need protein
RIGHT WING AMERICAN AND PROUD OF IT. IF YOU WANTED TO PROVE YOU WEREN'T A "RACIST" IN 2008 BY VOTING FOR OBAMA, THEN PROVE IN 2012 YOU ARE NOT AN IDIOT FOR VOTING AGAINST OBAMA!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Muman maybe this just means that we need to rely completely on G-d in some matters. We can only do so much in our own power but G-d has power over every matter.

RubyStars,

You summarized pretty succinctly the message Rabbi Shafier was talking about in the talk I listened to. It was concerning the traits called Emmunah and Bitachon, loosely translated as Belief and Trust. Jews are supposed to understand these traits in order to see that Hashem controls every aspect of this world. You are so very right.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

I disagree completely. I believe that what you eat three times a day, 365 days a year, can profoundly affect your chances of developing all types of diseases and illnesses, including cancers חס וחלילה לא עלינו (G-d forbid, it shouldn't be upon us). Naturally there is a genetic influence as well. But eating healthy, exercising daily, learning to reduce tension and stress and living properly reduces your chances of developing all types of health problems, in my opinion. And there is a huge amount of medical research that confirms this.

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
בס''ד

You don't think an obese person is more likely to develop cancer than a thin person? You don't think eating unhealthy food weakens your immune system? Your immune system tries to kill cancerous cells and fight off diseases.

This guy says that the air and water are what cause cancer. You mean what you breath causes cancer, but what you eat doesn't have an impact? This is absurd.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
I agree with Chaim although i'm a meat eater.Tomatoes cooked can prevent prostrate cancer.Broccoli or better yet broccoli sprouts can help very much in preventing all types of cancers.Concentrated Pomegranate Juice [they have an excellent brand from Israel] also can help prevent most cancers.Also Green tea is great as an all around cancer fighter
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
Re: Fruit & Veg diet doesnt prevent Cancer (Y'sh) according to new research
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:39:59 AM »
I agree with Chaim although i'm a meat eater.Tomatoes cooked can prevent prostrate cancer.Broccoli or better yet broccoli sprouts can help very much in preventing all types of cancers.Concentrated Pomegranate Juice [they have an excellent brand from Israel] also can help prevent most cancers.Also Green tea is great as an all around cancer fighter

Same here. There is nothing inherently wrong with eating meat in moderation as long as it's not bred to be a fat, unhealthy animal because of an improper diet (for that particular animal) and injected with hormones.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 07:22:13 PM »
Agree with Chaim 100%.   When Hunt blames cancer on "air and water," he sounds incredibly nutty.   It seems he is making an overall point that is more about CURING cancer as opposed to preventing it.  He is saying that our medical knowledge is limited at this point in that we have not been able to really cure the disease.  For many types of cancer, he is correct in saying this.

That would also help explain the contradictory statements he makes where he actually admits that healthy diet prevents cancer:  "Sir Tim Hunt said eating healthy foods could only provide a modest reduction in the risk of developing the disease."

He wants more focus on developing a cure, so he minimizes the acknowledged and well-known ability of diet to prevent the disease (which he himself acknowledges of course) by calling it "modest."

Any reduction in risk is a major thing considering the severity of the disease.  So his calling the reduction in risk for development "modest" is illogical.   Still while there are people dying from the disease, of course he's right that more energy needs to go into curing it, and fresh new ideas and approaches are needed.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:02:40 PM »

Oh sure, when I say it, not a peep, when Chaim says it, everybody chimes in on how they agree!  :::D

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:11:49 PM »
The problem is that I have a good example in my family of someone who lived a completely healthy diet and lifestyle and still developed cancer. I believe this is good proof that cancer is primarily genetic in nature and environment only contributes to the timeline of the cancer.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
The problem is that I have a good example in my family of someone who lived a completely healthy diet and lifestyle and still developed cancer. I believe this is good proof that cancer is primarily genetic in nature and environment only contributes to the timeline of the cancer.

Is it possible that it also contributes to the grade and not just the timing of the cancer? Very low-grade cancers grow so slowly that you can live for 100+ years and they wont' kill you.

Offline Fighting For Truth

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »
It's always this makes you healthy, and then it doesn't. I mean come on now!!!

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 04:35:56 AM »

Oh sure, when I say it, not a peep, when Chaim says it, everybody chimes in on how they agree!  :::D

What kind of comment is this?  I got to the thread 11 comments in.  If you also said the same thing as Chaim, congratulations would you like a cookie?

And in actuality, now that you've caused me to read your comment, you did NOT say the same thing as Chaim:
Don't know what effect the healthy food has on avoiding cancer, but I am sure there's a huge list of maladies you will be spared of if you eat properly.

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2010, 04:43:56 AM »

What kind of comment is this?  I got to the thread 11 comments in.  If you also said the same thing as Chaim, congratulations would you like a cookie?

And in actuality, now that you've caused me to read your comment, you did NOT say the same thing as Chaim:
Don't know what effect the healthy food has on avoiding cancer, but I am sure there's a huge list of maladies you will be spared of if you eat properly.

What kind of comment is this? It's a comment that you don't pay attention until it comes from Chaim, I put it up with a good natured laugh, but take any way you'd like. Actually I did say essentially the same thing, the gist of what I said was the same. Look at my post, then look at Chaim's, we're both saying that eating healthy is a no-brainer and will make you avoid disease.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »
That's great. I'm giving up eating salads. Now I'm only jumping into diners who serve greasy burgers and lard fries.

Diet does plenty good. A few years ago, I noticed that some growth on my foot and hands disappeared after eating too many berries.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline HiWarp

• Master JTFer
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 05:30:07 AM »

I'm so terribly sorry for what I have done. Perhaps this will make it better.

I AGREE WITH NEW YORKER AND CHAIM.  ;D
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
when the government fears the people, there is liberty.”
---Thomas Jefferson

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2010, 05:45:28 AM »
Thanks HiWarp.

Now go eat your veggies, fresh fruit, and lean protein, and take your vitamins! Our JTF'ers are going to be super healthy and fit!  :dance:

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2010, 05:53:26 AM »
Genetics only indicates susceptibility to cancer. One can decrease their chances of getting by not smoking not breathing bad air not staying in the sun too long not kiving next to a garbage dump.  Certain viruses are known to increase the odds of getting certain cancers. Etc

So YES, environment counts. It counts a ton. Diet counts, but it counts less than environment. It isn't just genetics. However genetics does play a huge role
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2010, 06:52:05 AM »

What kind of comment is this? It's a comment that you don't pay attention until it comes from Chaim, I put it up with a good natured laugh, but take any way you'd like.

You missed entirely what I wrote.

I asked what kind of comment is this, referring to your latest - not the one that came earlier in the thread.   In other words, what kind of comment is it for someone to write that people "ignored" him but agreed with Chaim, complaining that you didn't get some kind of "credit" for what you wrote?   If people agree with Chaim, and Chaim agrees with you, then they agree with you too.   Like I said, do you want a cookie?    What you wrote (The 2nd time around, when you complained) is not a useful comment, it is petty. 

Actually I did say essentially the same thing, the gist of what I said was the same. Look at my post, then look at Chaim's, we're both saying that eating healthy is a no-brainer and will make you avoid disease.

Like I said, you missed entirely what I wrote.  All one needs to do is look at the highlighted portion of what you wrote, which I put in boldface and can easily see that you did NOT say the same thing as Chaim, true as your comment was nonetheless.    So should I now offer you a medal because you made a true comment?   I fail to see how it adds to the forum to "accuse" people of ignoring you and only agreeing with Chaim.   Why do you assume everyone reads every single comment in every thread, and even if they do, why do they have to show up and comment before Chaim does?   Maybe they read the thread a day later.... etc.   This whole discussion is pointless.    Furthermore, what are you saying about our members here with that comment?  Think it reflects well on our movement if your "accusation" is true?

Online Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2010, 07:41:16 AM »

בס''ד

KWRBT, don't you see the laughing symbol after New Yorker's comment? 

New Yorker meant it in a good natured way.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
I think everyone is being a bit too defensive of their own personal diet to give the original thought much consideration. The point being made is not whether eating fruits and vegs are healthy... The point is that genetics play an even greater role than environmental issues like diet, etc... Everyone is claiming that their diet will prevent them from getting cancer and it seems that this conclusion is not exactly true.

I have an uncle who eats healthy, plays tennis and exercises every day, has never been overweight and goes to the doctor regularly for check ups. He developed a prostate cancer.... It is this cancer, and the other cancers in my family, which I am concerned about.

Once again there is no argument that fruit and veg diet will lead to more health in the long run.... But if there is a genetic cancer in your family then all the healthy food in the world will not prevent it... The same kind of thing happens with heart disease... Remember that many healthy people have died from heart attacks or strokes.