Author Topic: ACLU Sues N.C. To Allow Quran For Oaths in Court  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Shlomo

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
  • SAVE ISRAEL!
ACLU Sues N.C. To Allow Quran For Oaths in Court
« on: May 09, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »
It's really happening... and look who's helping them.

ACLU Sues N.C. To Allow Quran For Oaths
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/05/08/national/main2777535.shtml

Lawsuit Argues Other Religious Texts Should Be Allowed Besides Bibles For Taking Oaths In Court

(AP) If North Carolina is going to let people use a religious text when taking an oath in court, the Bible should not be the only book allowed, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union argued in court Tuesday.

A lawsuit filed by the ACLU of North Carolina challenges a state policy that allows only the Bible to be used in such court procedures.

“If the state is going to get into the religious oath business, the state has to be fair,” said Seth Cohen, the ACLU's lead counsel on the case.

But an attorney from the state Attorney General's Office urged Wake County Superior Court Judge Paul Ridgeway to dismiss the case.

“The main complaint of the ACLU and the plaintiff is a political one, not a legal one,” attorney Valerie Bateman said.

The lawsuit was filed in July 2005 on behalf of Syidah Mateen, a Muslim woman who said she was denied the use of the Quran in court. The lawsuit argues that state law is unconstitutional because it favors Christianity over other religions.

The ACLU is seeking a court order clarifying that the law is broad enough to allow the use of multiple religious texts, or else rule the statute unconstitutional. The group expects Ridgeway will issue a ruling as early as next week.

State law allows witnesses preparing to testify in court to take their oath in three ways: by laying a hand over “the Holy Scriptures,” by saying “so help me God” without the use of a religious book, or by an affirmation using no religious symbols.

The state law gives Christians three options “and everybody else two options,” Cohen said.

The ACLU and the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations had called for a statewide policy permitting use of the Quran and other religious texts in courtrooms. But the director of the state court system refused, saying the state legislature or the courts needed to settle the issue.

Bateman said changing the law would require the court to make determinations on what writings could be used.

“That's just too much entanglement for the court to be involved in,” she said, adding that it might be more appropriate for legislators to resolve the issue.

A bill filed in this session of the state legislature by a Democratic state senator would allow sacred texts besides the Bible to be used to administer courtroom oaths. But so far the bill has only been referred to a committee and its prospects for passage remain uncertain.

A trial court judge dismissed the ACLU's lawsuit in December 2005, ruling it was moot because there was no actual controversy at the time that warranted litigation.

In January, the ruling was reversed by a unanimous three-judge panel of the state Court of Appeals and the lawsuit was allowed to go to trial. The panel noted Mateen's claim that her request to place her hand on the Quran as a witness in a domestic violence case in Guilford County was denied in 2003.

Several Jewish members of the state chapter of the ACLU have filed affidavits indicating they would prefer to swear upon the Tanach, one of the religious texts of their faith, according to court documents.

The ACLU has said an 1856 state Supreme Court decision sets a clear precedent for oaths with religious texts. The court decision noted that North Carolina's oath-taking statutes were written for Christians but do not limit others from taking oaths in the way they deem most sacred.
"In the final analysis, for the believer there are no questions, and for the non-believer there are no answers." -Chofetz Chaim

Offline cosmokramer

• Pro JTFer
Re: ACLU Sues N.C. To Allow Quran For Oaths in Court
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 05:53:24 PM »
The oath should only be on the Bilble and nothing eles. If the dont like they can leave.

Offline genteelgentile

• Pro JTFer
  • Chaim Ben Pesach- Civil Rights Leader 4 The Ages
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 08:30:34 AM »
Gee, a liberal Jew... what a surprise...  Use a Bible for oath taking and Koran for toilet paper.  It even comes in a decorative package.
I LOVE dogs because muslims do not!!!!  Have your dog kiss a muslim today!

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 10:56:54 AM »
This is sick. May Islam be removed from the face of the Earth.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »
Several Jewish members of the state chapter of the ACLU have filed affidavits indicating they would prefer to swear upon the Tanach, one of the religious texts of their faith, according to court documents
Thats a lie aclu members are atheists
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline fjack

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:16:57 AM »
When I go to court or elected to office I want to take my oath on the director's version of "THE BIRTH OF A NATION" DVD. Will the aclu back me up on that?

Offline Hail Columbia

• Master JTFer
  • Vrijheid, Welvaart, Beschaving
    • AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:04:47 AM »
When I go to court or elected to office I want to take my oath on the director's version of "THE BIRTH OF A NATION" DVD. Will the aclu back me up on that?

If they think that pedophiles and terrorists have rights, then I do not see why not.

Learn the truth about rap "music": (Strongly recommended for new members)
www.geocities.com/wilder2k1
My MySpace site:
http://www.myspace.com/hailcolumbiajtf
My YouTube site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/HailColumbiaJTF
Dixie Outfitters, Preserving Southern Heritage Since 1861:
http://www.dixieoutfitters.com/
AfricanCrisis, Africa's Premier Hard News Website:
http://www.africancrisis.co.za
The Right Perspective, NYC's Most Dangerous Callers to Talk Radio, Airing Live Every Friday Night, 10 PM EST:
http://www.therightperspectivepodcastblog.blogspot.com/

In thy power Almighty, trusting,
Did our fathers build of old;
Strengthen then, O Lord, their children
To defend, to love, to hold
That the heritage they gave us
For our children yet may be:
Bondsmen only to the Highest
And before the whole world free.
As our fathers trusted humbly,
Teach us, Lord, to trust Thee still:
Guard our land and guide our people
In Thy way to do Thy will.

Offline Duncan

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2007, 09:36:59 AM »
The aclu is a 'whore-able' organization, dedicated to the defense of the immoral, libertine and evil.

Pedophiles, racists, hate groups are all loved and protected by the aclu, yet righteous people, groups and the Second Amendment are ignored by the aclu at best, and persecuted at worst.

Proverbs 1:22 - “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge."

كافر | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ | WOLVERINES!