Author Topic: I have a weird feeling. I just ate meat from the horse  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Ulli

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
I have a weird feeling. I just ate meat from the horse
« on: May 28, 2010, 06:35:54 AM »
I bought it, because it was a bargain offer. I thought it can't be so different from other meat. So I roasted it for lunch.

The taste was not bad or strange. But right now I am feeling, like if I have a dumpling in my throat. I feel a little bit strange, althrough I am Christian like you all know and I have no restrictions on foods (with a few exemptions like blood or choked animals) and normally I eat what comes to my plate and I am always thankfull that god let me eat his good presents.

I have eaten now two pices of meat. The third one I will dispose. I simply feel, that I can't eat it.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: I have a weird feeling. I just ate meat from the horse
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 06:50:02 AM »
I bought it, because it was a bargain offer. I thought it can't be so different from other meat. So I roasted it for lunch.

The taste was not bad or strange. But right now I am feeling, like if I have a dumpling in my throat. I feel a little bit strange, althrough I am Christian like you all know and I have no restrictions on foods (with a few exemptions like blood or choked animals) and normally I eat what comes to my plate and I am always thankfull that G-d let me eat his good presents.

I have eaten now two pices of meat. The third one I will dispose. I simply feel, that I can't eat it.
Did you go to your butcher store and ask him.
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 06:53:08 AM »

The taste was not bad or strange. But right now I am feeling, like if I have a dumpling in my throat. I feel a little bit strange, althrough I am Christian like you all know and I have no restrictions on foods (with a few exemptions like blood or choked animals) and normally I eat what comes to my plate and I am always thankfull that G-d let me eat his good presents.

No, it was already packed in a cooling box with the price on it.
"Cities run by progressives don't know how to police. ... Thirty cities went up last night, I went and looked at every one of them. Every one of them has a progressive Democratic mayor." Rudolph Giuliani

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 06:54:50 AM »

No, it was already packed in a cooling box with the price on it.
who knows in korea they eat dogs and cats.I think in the U.S. horse meat is used in dog food
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 06:57:39 AM »
Cats and dogs? :::D

I think I learned my lesson with horse meat already and will stick to chicken, goose, ducks and beef.

I know an old farmer slogan: "Cobbler stick to your last!"  :)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 06:58:24 AM »
Horses are not killed as humanely as cattle are. It's a very traumatic experience for the horse and many are former companions to people. I don't think I could ever eat that kind of meat unless I was starving to death and had no other option. Some types of animals are just not food to me.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:41 AM »
Horses are not killed as humanely as cattle are. It's a very traumatic experience for the horse and many are former companions to people. I don't think I could ever eat that kind of meat unless I was starving to death and had no other option. Some types of animals are just not food to me.
True

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »

Perhaps I think subconsciousnessly the same. So because of this I am feeling bad.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 07:08:07 AM »
When your stomach feels better you might want to watch this so you never contribute to this cruelty again.

I found an article saying that a lot of horse meat is potentially contaminated with anti-inflammatory medicine called "Bute", which can make people sick who eat it. Maybe that's the problem? It might be something you could ask a doctor about if you don't feel better soon. Since horses aren't really raised for food in America but are sold after being used for other reasons, they are treated with a lot of medicines that are used on animals "not intended for human consumption".
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:14:52 AM by Rubystars »

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »
I had strep throat a few months ago.  I was told to eat Jello.  I ate Jello.  I read the box of what I ate, it included gelatin.  I have heard gelatin is made out of horse hooves.  I researched on the internet.  Apparently there are multiple types of gelatin.  From the box I cannot tell what I ate.  Being sick and totally out of it, near delirious, I feel quite pissed I ate something that could very well be non-Kosher.  My Mom says it does not count against my efforts to eat a Kosher lifestyle, but my guts may have gotten a work-over they did not deserve.  [censored] horses.  They are meant to be ridden on. Bah!  I have not always lived  Kosher life, but as of when I decided to be a Kosher man I have been faithful.  [censored] Jello, [censored] horses.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »
Ariel,

I think you are safe.  I am almost positive "Jello" is vegetarian and if not, I have seen the Kosher U on it before

Ulli,

I have never had horse meat before, so I don't know exactly what you are going through.  Try and look at it this way, you made a mistake and you won't do it again. 

Offline Baltimore

• Director Of Public Relations
  • Pro JTFer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:52:24 AM »
In France and many other countries horse is just a regular food.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 09:57:12 AM »
In France and many other countries horse is just a regular food.
Canada too I think.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
I once sat in a Torah study session, with Talmudic discourse, which stated that if a Jew in a foreign land were to find a package of meat in good condition and not know whether or not it was kosher to eat, AND if there was at least the strong possibility or likelihood that it could indeed be kosher ....EVEN IF IT WAS PORK AND THE JEW WAS UNAWARE THAT IT WAS PORK! ...... then according to this Talmudic lesson the Pork was in that case Kosher and perfect for the Jew to eat.

I swear I'm not making this up, and at this point will defer to muman613 for further clarification on this subject!

So help me G-d I actually learned this from Chabad!

I still have a hard time accepting the conclusion!

So.....maybe.....There's always room for Jello!  J-e-l-l-o  JELLO!

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 10:19:35 AM »
I once sat in a Torah study session, with Talmudic discourse, which stated that if a Jew in a foreign land were to find a package of meat in good condition and not know whether or not it was kosher to eat, AND if there was at least the strong possibility or likelihood that it could indeed be kosher ....EVEN IF IT WAS PORK AND THE JEW WAS UNAWARE THAT IT WAS PORK! ...... then according to this Talmudic lesson the Pork was in that case Kosher and perfect for the Jew to eat.

I swear I'm not making this up, and at this point will defer to muman613 for further clarification on this subject!

I have to repeat for Ariel's sake that I am almost 100 percent certain that Jello gelatin is 100 percent kosher.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2010, 10:26:01 AM »

Massah,

I have heard something like this too...

I have also heard that if a person is sick, goes to a doctor, and the doctor perscribes something which will cure the illness, and what is proscribed is not exactly kosher, it is ok to eat it.

I don't know if I can find a reference to this idea on the internet... But I will try to...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2010, 10:28:43 AM »
http://www.yeshiva.org.il/ask/eng/?id=10

Are vaccinations kosher?
Rabbi David Samson

Question:
News reports say that Israel is considering giving smallpox vaccinations to all of its citizens. How can they do this when the smallpox vaccination contains rat blood, monkey brains, and human fetal tissue? Don’t they know that these things are Treif?

Answer:
While we have not heard about a smallpox vaccine with rat blood in it, the vaccine does contain monkey kidney cells and human fetal tissue as stabilizers. These are both non-kosher. However, the smallpox vaccine is not taken orally. Rather it is an inoculation. There is no prohibition to use these specific non-kosher substances, so long as they are not eaten.

An interesting halachic opinion by Rabbi Chaim Ozer Grodzenski states that if a man is fed through a tube directly into his stomach, then he is allowed to be fed non-kosher foods[1]. Similarly, a diabetic can use insulin, even though it contains substances derived from pigs, since it is injected and not taken orally[2].

There is no prohibition in using medicines which contain forbidden ingredients if they are administered by injection, suppository, enema, medicated bandage, and the like, since they are not eaten.

However, if the medicated bandage contained milk and meat, then it would be prohibited, even if it is not administered orally, because substances containing milk and meat together are not only forbidden to be eaten, but a person is not to receive any enjoyment from them whatsoever[3]. For instance, one is not allowed to eat the flesh of a pig, but a Jew could make a football from its skin. However, a football made by compacting meat and milk would be prohibited.

Medicines containing ingredients that are prohibited to be eaten, that must be taken orally, should preferably be replaced with medicines comprised of permitted ingredients, as long as they are equally effective.

Of course, if a person’s life depends on receiving an oral medicine that contains non-kosher ingredients, he is certainly allowed to have it. Even if there is no danger to a person’s life, and a non-kosher medicine is prescribed, there are a few instances where its usage would be allowed. For instance, if the medicine has no nutritional value and is not considered fit for human consumption, nor for that of a dog, then it is allowed. Medicines in capsules or medicines which have a bitter taste are examples. Even if an otherwise bitter medicine is coated with sugar, this does not transform it into food and most halachic authorities consider these medicines unfit for a dog[4]. Also, if the forbidden ingredients were altered chemically, or if they have completely dried out, then the medicine is permitted, even if the patient’s life in not in danger[5].

Since capsules often contain gelatine made from non-kosher ingredients, some halachic authorities prohibit their use. Other authorities permit them[6]. If it is possible to obtain the same medicine, not in capsule form, then it is advisable to obtain it.

It is important to point out the deeper moral aspect of these questions. Once a mother brought her son to the famed Rabbi Akiva Eiger. She complained that the boy wasn’t able to comprehend the Talmudic discussions known as the Tosefot. The rabbi asked if the boy had ever eaten anything not kosher, explaining that non-kosher foods contaminate the brain and damage intellectual reasoning.

May the New Year bring health to all people as it says in the Prophets, “Then the eyes of the blind will be opened, and the ears of the deaf will hear; then the lame will leap like a ram, and the tongue of the deaf will sing”[7].

------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Responsa, Achiezer, Vol. 3:61.
2. Encyclopedia of Medicine and Jewish Law, Vol. 3, Pg. 271, edited by Dr. Avraham Steinberg.
3. See Pesachim 24B.
4. Shmirat Shabbat K’ Hilchata, Pg. 460.
5. Responsa, Tzitz Eliezer, Vol 6:16.
6. Ibid, Vol. 10:25, sub-section 2.
7. Isaiah, 35:6.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline Ulli

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2010, 10:55:01 AM »
Ariel,

I think you are safe.  I am almost positive "Jello" is vegetarian and if not, I have seen the Kosher U on it before

Ulli,

I have never had horse meat before, so I don't know exactly what you are going through.  Try and look at it this way, you made a mistake and you won't do it again. 

I won't. Thank you.  :)

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 11:40:49 AM »
However, a football made by compacting meat and milk would be prohibited.

Also squishy, and liable to attract flies.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »

RS,

I thought about a meat and milk football... Wow... It is funny..

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »

RS,

I thought about a meat and milk football... Wow... It is funny..

Yeah lol. Some of the stuff in these articles are really funny like that.  ;D I just thought up a sports strategy though. If the strongest player in the opposing football team is Jewish is he unable to play against you if you pour milk over the ball?