Author Topic: Legalizing marijuana is civil rights issue?  (Read 1555 times)

Offline takebackourtemple

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
  • May this be the year that the temple is liberated.
Legalizing marijuana is civil rights issue?
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:26:34 AM »
The NAACP is at it again. Apparently if a disproportionate amount of blacks commit a crime, then criminalization of the crime is racist.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/07/naacp.marijuana.support/index.html?hpt=T2
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
Re: Legalizing marijuana is civil rights issue?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 05:30:24 AM »
If they want to move to africa and legalize marijuana, they smoke it till their eyes fall out, lungs burn out, and brain fries. Be my guest.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 05:49:29 AM »
In fact, it's a civil rights issue not to be punished for risking one's own health. Alcohol abuse provoke much more harm and it's legal. Noone goes to jail for overindulging in drinking.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 06:23:46 AM »
In fact, it's a civil rights issue not to be punished for risking one's own health. Alcohol abuse provoke much more harm and it's legal. Noone goes to jail for overindulging in drinking.

It is not typical for the police to go inside of someone's house to arrest them for possession of alcohol if they suspect it, but there are plenty of alcohol related crimes. You cannot openly carry it in most public places and if you are intoxicated on the street the police can arrest you. Usually alcohol related arrests are the result of other crimes but that is not always the case. Keep in mind that someone who possesses marijuana is also much more likely to get arrested if it is in conjunction with another crime. For the most part, people who smoke it quietly in the comfort of their own home without letting the smell get outside usually get away with it.
Does it bother you that you have to face the dome and the rock to say the sh'ma?

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:15:22 AM »

It is not typical for the police to go inside of someone's house to arrest them for possession of alcohol if they suspect it, but there are plenty of alcohol related crimes. You cannot openly carry it in most public places and if you are intoxicated on the street the police can arrest you. Usually alcohol related arrests are the result of other crimes but that is not always the case. Keep in mind that someone who possesses marijuana is also much more likely to get arrested if it is in conjunction with another crime. For the most part, people who smoke it quietly in the comfort of their own home without letting the smell get outside usually get away with it.

But then, why not decriminalizing the private consume? If it is decriminalizing in practice, the only ones who would be jailed are those who have the bad luck of being caught or who are so honest that they go to a court to indict themselves.

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »
See. it's less dangerous to your health to smoke marijuana then it is to smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. The marijuana growers need a lobby in Washington like the cig/alcohol people have.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 07:56:03 AM »
See. it's less dangerous to your health to smoke marijuana then it is to smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol. The marijuana growers need a lobby in Washington like the cig/alcohol people have.

I wouldn't be so sure that it's less dangerous than alcohol. I'd say it's less dangerous tha alcohol ABUSE. But I wouldn't compare an ocassional moderate drink with cannabis. A person who drinks a glass of wine may do so because of its flavour, or even for religious purposes or festivals (as in Judaism). Someone who smokes cannabis has the intention to change his state of mind and, even if it is very little or not addictive at all, it has the potential to create psychological dependence. I wouldn't encourage anybody to try it. But I hold there is no reason to send a person to jail for private consume.

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 08:32:18 AM »
I am in favor of legalizing cannabis. I think we waste too much resources on a futile attempt to combat it. I estimate that 70% of Israelis smoked it. Among young adults, I estimate that 60% are or have been "casual users". Rumor has it, that pot is also popular among the idealistic youth in Judea and Samaria, but that I can't confirm myself.

The rational thing is to contain pot use within the law. So the state could at least tax it, and instead of drug lords and traffickers, legitimate farmers could grow it and distribute a clean and supervised product.

As a matter of civil rights issue- I think it is. For I cannot see any justification to allow alcohol, tobacco, yet ban cannabis.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 08:38:26 AM »

In some countries, you are thrown in jail for duing dope.
You are also jailed then shot to death for drug smuggling.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
I think all things smoked should be illegal or very difficult to obtain. Alcohol should never be abused and I condemn overuse of it except on purim and simchat torah.

I think alcohol is benefitial in moderation. But anything smoked isn't good even if in moderation.

Marijuana can lead to people to abuse worse drugs and to even cause them change their state of mind even in moderation.
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline Zelhar

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 11:34:29 AM »
I think all things smoked should be illegal or very difficult to obtain. Alcohol should never be abused and I condemn overuse of it except on purim and simchat torah.

I think alcohol is benefitial in moderation. But anything smoked isn't good even if in moderation.
But it is possible to ingest marijuana and tobacco in other ways than smoke.

Marijuana can lead to people to abuse worse drugs and to even cause them change their state of mind even in moderation.
Alcohol is worse in this respect.

• Master JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »
But anything smoked isn't good even if in moderation.

Actually that is not true. Technically chicken soup can be considered an inhaled drug if you are consuming it for medical purposes. Inhaling something is the fastest and most efficient way to get it into your bloodstream since of goes directly through your lungs. A small amount of pharmaceuticals are intended to be inhaled.
   Compared to ingestion, the stomach does not degrade the drug. Of course most drugs are not intended to be consumed as fast as possible, but at a controlled rate. This is why pills are coated to release over time. Injected fluids can also be metered. Of course if you are Michael Jackson's doctor, it doesn't matter how you take your drug.

Offline FreedomFighter08

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 07:15:08 PM »
Marijuana is safer than alcohol. It should be legalized. I find it funny how people are supposed to against the government making choices for you support making marijuana illegal and using it a criminal act.

Offline The One and Only Mo

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »
Marijuana is safer than alcohol. It should be legalized. I find it funny how people are supposed to against the government making choices for you support making marijuana illegal and using it a criminal act.

Should be illegal along with cigs and alcahol. All impair you sooner or later.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 07:29:41 PM »

Should be illegal along with cigs and alcahol. All impair you sooner or later.

The USA tried banning alcohol, it caused way more problems than it solved.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »

Alcohol in moderation won't do much to the state of mind and is even considered good for the heart...Marijuana and cigarettes have no benefit and anyone that says it does is telling BS.

Marijuana ingested like in brownies is still terrible for the brain cells...

I don't know of ingestible tobacco...I would assume that it isn't as big a deal since it's not tobacco itself that is terrible, but the nicotine addiction and tar that are found in cigarettes.  The heat that is formed from smoking anything is cancerous and slows down healing.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »
But anything smoked isn't good even if in moderation.

Actually that is not true. Technically chicken soup can be considered an inhaled drug if you are consuming it for medical purposes. Inhaling something is the fastest and most efficient way to get it into your bloodstream since of goes directly through your lungs. A small amount of pharmaceuticals are intended to be inhaled.
   Compared to ingestion, the stomach does not degrade the drug. Of course most drugs are not intended to be consumed as fast as possible, but at a controlled rate. This is why pills are coated to release over time. Injected fluids can also be metered. Of course if you are Michael Jackson's doctor, it doesn't matter how you take your drug.

Ok, who's inhaling the chicken soup? You know what I'm talking about....Nobody inhales chicken soup to get a high..and i'm not referring to medicine such as inhalers to help in asthma...Drugs such as cigarettes, pipes, cigars, hooka, marijuana etc have NO benefit whatsoever even in moderation...You lost this argument and you know better that smoking will kill you faster than alcohol in moderation.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 09:16:57 PM »

1 marijuana joint equals one pack of cigarettes and you kill brain cells...Alcohol in moderation is good for the heart..You are  moron to even say this to people and I"m calling you out on this...

Offline t_h_j

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 09:22:17 PM »

Alcohol in moderation won't do much to the state of mind and is even considered good for the heart...Marijuana and cigarettes have no benefit and anyone that says it does is telling BS.

I don't know of ingestible tobacco...I would assume that it isn't as big a deal since it's not tobacco itself that is terrible, but the nicotine addiction and tar that are found in cigarettes.  The heat that is formed from smoking anything is cancerous and slows down healing.

Chewing tobacco causes mouth cancer.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 09:24:50 PM »

Chewing tobacco causes mouth cancer.

yes yes...I was thinking of tobacco brownies or something like that.. not dip.

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 09:25:51 PM »
I don't want any of our JTFers doing drugs like abusing alcohol, smoking anything, or any type of illegal drug.  We need to stay healthy smart and strong and not poison our bodies..Jew or non Jew..and to do so is terrible for your brain, heart and bodies.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2010, 09:35:31 PM »
The NAACP is at it again. Apparently if a disproportionate amount of blacks commit a crime, then criminalization of the crime is racist.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/07/naacp.marijuana.support/index.html?hpt=T2

It is not a civil rights issue but it is a personal liberty issue.  My idea is brutally punish anyone who sells to a minor and legalize it for adults.  How many people take up smoking marijuana in their adult years?  Very few, they start as teens.  If they are kept off it until age 18 or 21 there will be many fewer users and those who choose to smoke it as adults can make their own decision.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »
"I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs."
 - Albert Einstein, 1950

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
" If I had taken my doctor's advice and quit smoking when he advised me to,
I wouldn't have lived to go to his funeral
."

-- George Burns at age 98

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whisky."
 -- William Faulkner