Author Topic: Who Is A Jew?  (Read 1529 times)

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
Who Is A Jew?
« on: July 16, 2010, 04:14:34 PM »
From an Op-Ed piece in yesterday's New York Times:

The Diaspora Need Not Apply
By ALANA NEWHOUSE
Published: July 15, 2010

Who is a Jew? It’s an age-old inquiry, one that has for decades (if not centuries) provoked debate, discussion and too many punch lines to count — all inspired by what many assumed was the question’s essential unanswerability. But if developments this week are any indication, the Israeli parliament, the Knesset, might soon offer an official, surprising answer: almost no one.

On Monday, a Knesset committee approved a bill sponsored by David Rotem, a member of the nationalist Yisrael Beiteinu party, that would give the Orthodox rabbinate control of all conversions in Israel. If passed, this legislation would place authority over all Jewish births, marriages and deaths — and, through them, the fundamental questions of Jewish identity — in the hands of a small group of ultra-Orthodox, or Haredi, rabbis.

The move has set in motion a sectarian battle that is not only dividing Israeli society but threatening to sever the vital connection between Israel and the American Jewish diaspora.

The problem is not simply that some of these rabbinical functionaries, who are paid by the state and courted by politicians, are demonstrably corrupt. (To take the most salacious of a slew of examples, an American Haredi rabbi who had become one of the most powerful authorities on the question of conversion resigned from his organization in December after accusations that he solicited phone sex from a hopeful female convert.) Rather, it is that the beliefs of a tiny minority of the world’s Jews are on the verge of becoming the Israeli government’s definition of Judaism, for all Jews.

It is hard to exaggerate the possible ramifications, first and foremost for Jewish Israelis. Rivkah Lubitch, an Orthodox woman who is a lawyer in Israel’s rabbinic court system, painted a harrowing picture of the future in a recent column on the Israeli Web site Ynet.

“Even if you didn’t go to register for marriage, and even if you didn’t go to a rabbinic court for any reason, and even if you didn’t pass by a rabbinic court when you walked down the street — the rabbinic court can summon you, conduct a hearing about your Jewishness and revoke it,” she wrote. “In effect, the entire nation of Israel is presumed to be Not-Jewish — until proven otherwise.”

Why are the rabbis doing this? The process is not being driven, as some say, by a suspicion of new converts — they’re simply a wedge issue. Nor is it, as others argue, a reaction to the influx of Russian Jews, who when they seek permission to wed in Israel are often asked for evidence that their families were registered as Jews in the old Soviet Union.

No, what is driving this process is the desire of a small group of rabbis to expand their authority from narrow questions of conversion to larger questions of Jewish identity. Since what goes for conversion also goes for all other clerical acts, only a few anointed rabbis will be able to determine the authenticity of one’s marriage, divorce, birth, death — and every rite in between.

And lest one imagine that this is just another battle between the more progressive Reform and Conservative denominations and the more observant Orthodox, it must be noted that the criteria used by the rabbinate are driven by internal Haredi politics, not observance. According to the Jewish Week, at one point the number of American rabbis who were officially authorized by the Israeli rabbinate to perform conversions was down to a few dozen. Even if you are Orthodox — and especially if you are Modern Orthodox — your rabbi probably doesn’t make the cut. (Don’t believe it? Go ask him.)

Given that the conversion bill is the latest in a series of similarly motivated efforts, it seems almost useless to note that the stringent approach to Jewish law that the Israeli rabbinate promotes bears little connection to the historical experience and religious practice of the majority of Jewish people over the past two millenniums. It will do little good, too, to point out that it is well outside the consensus established by Hillel — arguably the greatest rabbi in all of rabbinic Judaism and whom, as Joseph Telushkin argues in a forthcoming book, was willing to convert a pagan on the spot, simply because he’d asked.

And it doesn’t help to argue that giving the ultra-Orthodox rabbinate total control over Jewish practice will destroy religious life in Israel just as surely as clerical control hurt the Church of England and the Catholic Church in Spain and France. Or that the Zionist founders, from Herzl to Jabotinsky to Ben-Gurion, all believed passionately in the unity of the Jewish people and the need for a secular state.

But perhaps a more practical rallying cry will work: If this bill passes, future historians will inevitably wonder why, at a critical moment in its history, Israel chose to tell 85 percent of the Jewish diaspora that their rabbis weren’t rabbis and their religious practices were a sham, the conversions of their parents and spouses were invalid, their marriages weren’t legal under Jewish law, and their progeny were a tribe of bastards unfit to marry other Jews.

Why, they will wonder, as Iran raced to build a nuclear bomb to wipe the Jewish state off the map, did the custodians of the 2,000-year-old national dream of the Jewish people choose such a perverse definition of Jewish peoplehood, seemingly calculated to alienate supporters outside its own borders?

And, they will also wonder, what of the quiescence of diaspora Jewry? Many American Jews understandably see Israel as under siege and have not wanted to make things worse; they imagined that internal politicking over conversions and marriages was ephemeral, and would change. But the conversion bill is a sign that this silence was a mistake, for it has been interpreted by Israeli politicians as a green light to throw basic questions of Jewish identity into the pot of coalition politics.

The redemptive history of the Jewish people since the Holocaust has rested on the twin pillars of a strong Israel and a strong diaspora, which have spoken to each other politically and culturally, and whose successes have mutually reinforced the confidence and capacities of the other. Neither the Jewish diaspora nor Israel can afford a split between the two communities — a dystopian possibility that, if this bill passes, could materialize frightfully soon.

Alana Newhouse is the editor in chief of Tablet Magazine, which covers Jewish life and culture.

What are your thoughts?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Re: Who Is A Jew?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
We have discussed this over the last few days...

Overall I support the idea that only those Jews who converted via an Orthodox conversion process can be considered Jews. I dont understand the new law very well but I think it is the right idea in order to stop the inflow of people calling themselves Jews but with alterior motives...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
From what I understand, almost any Russian who claims to have a Jewish grandparent, can get into Israel, even if s/he is not Jewish.  No doubt that is why there was news maybe three years ago about a group of neo-Nazis in Israel.  

I also read a while back about how the IDF came to throw some religious Jews out of their homes to give their land to Arab terrorists.  One religious Jew said to the soldier, "My brother, why are you doing this to your fellow Jews?"  The soldier's response was "I'm not your brother, you dirty Jew!"  

Remember as well the case of a Jewish man who was beaten to death on a beach in Israel by a group of Russian "Jews" along with Arabs?  

Furthermore, someone posted here a few days ago about how a Russian "Jewish" man and his mother vandalized the graves of Ethiopian Jews by scrawling swaztikas on the tombstones.  This piece of excrement Nazi was helped by his mother.  The fact that these impostors can get into Israel is a travesty of justice.  White Israelite told me that there's a whole business in Russia of making fake ID so people can pretend to be Jewish and move to Israel.  Of course, this all needs to stop.  

On the other hand, I believe the current traitor Israeli regime *likes* having this scum in Israel for the purpose of throwing Jews out of their homes and giving their land to Arab terrorists.  What do you guys think?  

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 10:09:58 PM »
What is "Modern Orthodox"?

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 10:19:13 PM »
What is "Modern Orthodox"?

Jews who follow Orthodox traditions but don't separate themselves from modern society in where they live, how they dress etc.  Joe Lieberman is often considered a prime example.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 10:20:33 PM »
I thougth Yisrael Beitenu was a rather secular party.  It seems surprising they would be the sponsor of legislation such as this.  I doubt if it really does what the NY Times claims it does.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 11:31:54 PM »
"ultra orthodox" already had control of these things.

Offline david1967

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 02:39:28 PM »
I imagine this will also invalidate  all Reform, Conservative and even most Orthodox converts that want to make aliyah/immigrate to Israel?  "If your rabbi's name, even if he is Orthodox, Chabad, etc, isn't on the "approved" list for conversion, then you're not considered a real "Jew."  This is happening at the worst possible time.  Israel could be soon faced with a major war against Iran, Syria, Hezbollah, and Hamas. It needs the support of all the world's Jews.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
Unfortunately an example of how some militant self-styled dictators among the Haredi will impose their will on everyone else.  Sounds like another religion.....

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 05:10:02 PM »
I imagine this will also invalidate  all Reform, Conservative and even most Orthodox converts

Reform and conservative so-called "conversions" already were not valid.  If they invalidate Orthodox conversions that is very stupid.

Israel could be soon faced with a major war against Iran, Syria, Hezbollah, and Hamas. It needs the support of all the world's Jews.

Oh please like any of these Jews are looking to sign up for aliya at the next available moment.   Give me a break.    Yeah Israel needs Jews.... to wake up!

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 05:15:42 PM »
I've seen op-ed pieces by reform and assimilated Jews (including the Jewish federation, and if they're opposed to it, chances are we should be for it!   We all know what Rabbi Kahane had to say about the Jewish federation).   I've seen these op-ed pieces trying to sell me something about what they determined is a negative bill and that I should agree with them.  I've yet to be shown the facts about what the bill really calls for and what it sets out to accomplish.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 05:42:49 PM »
Yes Kahane,

But you know how it is, some Jews telling other Jews they're not enough of this or that kind of a Jew.  Ultimately where does it lead?  You [censored] the wrong Haredi and you're no longer a Jew!  I mean this is ridiculous.  Yes these Cossack anti-semites should not be allowed to deceive The state of Israel, but ultimately this will be bad for Jews

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 05:52:33 PM »
I agree with KWRBT.. We cannot make good comments unless we know the specifics of this law. Someone should spend some time investigating.

On the surface I agree that all conversions need to be according to Jewish law, the Halacha, and the only conversion which I believe is according to Halacha is Orthodox conversion. If a conversion is according to Halacha, it should be recognized by all Jews everywhere.

What is needed is a trusted Beit Din to take over this task. I would not trust any rabbi who is not Orthodox, because as KWRBT pointed out the other 'flavors' of our faith are nothing but inventions in order to get out of obeying Hashems commandments. I am sickened by the reform movement and would never recognize a reform conversion no matter how much you paid me. I believe conservative have good intentions, but Hashem wants more than good intentions and requires a convert to be strict on all commandments.

The issue should never become one of personality of the Rabbi or other such nonsense. A Rabbi must be held to a higher level of standards. The sages taught that a convert should first be told that he should not want to become a Jew because of all the requirements, or he should otherwise be dissuaded from the pursuit. If the person still wants to convert and approaches the Rabbi again, he should again be persuaded to just be a Noachide... On the third time he should be considered if he can really convert {if he/she has the wherewithal to go through with a sincere conversion....} but he should be refused again. If he/she comes back the fourth time then he can really begin the conversion process..

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/2222/jewish/A-Daughter-of-Zelophehad-Speaks.htm
The daughters of Zelophehad did not back down when encountering resistance. Moses said, "no" at least three times before he conceded the logic of their position.

Similarly, a convert is refused three times.
Only candidates who are driven by the non-negotiable truth of their soul will find the motivation to overcome the obstacles and claim their place among the Jewish people.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 06:01:51 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
I agree with KWRBT.. We cannot make good comments unless we know the specifics of this law. Someone should spend some time investigating.

On the surface I agree that all conversions need to be according to Jewish law, the Halacha, and the only conversion which I believe is according to Halacha is Orthodox conversion. If a conversion is according to Halacha, it should be recognized by all Jews everywhere.

What is needed is a trusted Beit Din to take over this task. I would not trust any rabbi who is not Orthodox, because as KWRBT pointed out the other 'flavors' of our faith are nothing but inventions in order to get out of obeying Hashems commandments. I am sickened by the reform movement and would never recognize a reform conversion no matter how much you paid me. I believe conservative have good intentions, but Hashem wants more than good intentions and requires a convert to be strict on all commandments.

The issue should never become one of personality of the Rabbi or other such nonsense. A Rabbi must be held to a higher level of standards. The sages taught that a convert should first be told that he should not want to become a Jew because of all the requirements, or he should otherwise be dissuaded from the pursuit. If the person still wants to convert and approaches the Rabbi again, he should again be persuaded to just be a Noachide... On the third time he should be considered if he can really convert {if he/she has the wherewithal to go through with a sincere conversion....}

Muman, my understanding of our need to dissuade potential converts is based on the past when converts would turn 'turncoat.'  Why do we need to be soooooo active in our dissuading converts. 

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 06:02:38 PM »
Because look how many 'Jews' have stabbed us in the backs... Do we really need to bring in people who will not keep the commandments, and also will not stand up for the Jewish cause?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2010, 06:06:11 PM »
I imagine this will also invalidate  all Reform, Conservative and even most Orthodox converts

Reform and conservative so-called "conversions" already were not valid.  If they invalidate Orthodox conversions that is very stupid.

Israel could be soon faced with a major war against Iran, Syria, Hezbollah, and Hamas. It needs the support of all the world's Jews.

Oh please like any of these Jews are looking to sign up for aliya at the next available moment.   Give me a break.    Yeah Israel needs Jews.... to wake up!

They already do invalidate a good chunk of American Orthodox conversions, call up the Chabad in Chicago and they will tell you the same, the Chief Rabbinite does not recognize even most Orthodox conversions.

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »
Because look how many 'Jews' have stabbed us in the backs... Do we really need to bring in people who will not keep the commandments, and also will not stand up for the Jewish cause?

Yes Muman, I agree with you, but look at how many 'natural born Jews' go out of their way to destroy their own.  I wont even start listing them all.  The JTF server doesnt have enough space!

Offline Thaar_Revenge

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 07:04:44 AM »
A Joo is someone who lives disguised in other societies and abuses them for their disgusting greediness and uses them as slaves.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:48:19 AM »
Yes Kahane,

But you know how it is, some Jews telling other Jews they're not enough of this or that kind of a Jew.  Ultimately where does it lead?  You shove off the wrong Haredi and you're no longer a Jew!  I mean this is ridiculous.  Yes these Cossack anti-semites should not be allowed to deceive The state of Israel, but ultimately this will be bad for Jews

So I'm just supposed to accept what "the federation" is saying without even knowing the facts of the case or analyzing it for myself?   I'm supposed to just assume it's another case of certain Jews being too close-minded?  For what reason?     I don't believe a word the assimilationists are telling me about this bill.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »

The issue should never become one of personality of the Rabbi or other such nonsense. A Rabbi must be held to a higher level of standards. The sages taught that a convert should first be told that he should not want to become a Jew because of all the requirements, or he should otherwise be dissuaded from the pursuit. If the person still wants to convert and approaches the Rabbi again, he should again be persuaded to just be a Noachide... On the third time he should be considered if he can really convert {if he/she has the wherewithal to go through with a sincere conversion....}

Muman, my understanding of our need to dissuade potential converts is based on the past when converts would turn 'turncoat.'  Why do we need to be soooooo active in our dissuading converts.  

Well, that's not really true.  We do that because it is too easy to be insincere and give up the commandments afterward or never really accept them.   A "convert" who then does not keep the Jewish law and observe the Jewish ritual is a "turncoat" in the halachic sense.  And conversion occurs according to halacha.   Such a person is basically someone who faked a ritual but has no interest in actually transmitting the Jewish tradition.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 09:51:21 AM »

They already do invalidate a good chunk of American Orthodox conversions, call up the Chabad in Chicago and they will tell you the same, the Chief Rabbinite does not recognize even most Orthodox conversions.

That is a problem, and like everything it's political.  However, that does not mean we should now accept reform conversions!   We should try to clean up the existing problem, not make new ones.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 10:03:52 AM »
Rabbi Melamed wrote an excellent explanation of the Jewish view of conversion...

Here it is from : http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/138668

A Definitive Essay on the Laws of Conversion to Judaism
Av 8, 5770, 19 July 10 10:31
by Rabbi Eliezer Melamed

(Israelnationalnews.com) Judaism's Positive Approach to Converts

The laws relating to Jewish converts are among the most astounding laws in the Torah. The Torah (Bible) teaches us clearly that any non-Jew who truly seeks to join the Jewish people may do so according to Jewish law, putting the lie to those who have called the Jewish people or their laws racist.

The Nazis ruled out the possibility of joining the Aryan “race."  Jews who had converted to Christianity were viewed as Jewish in the eyes of the racist Nazis. This, however, is not the way of Judaism. In fact, if a German or an Arab should seek to join the Jewish People, even if he is the son of a fierce anti-Semite, he is accepted. Moreover, we are to love him more than other Jews, in keeping with the commandment to “love the convert, for you too were strangers in the land of Egypt" (Deuteronomy 10:19).

Relating to Converts
After a person converts to Judaism, he is like any other Jew. One must be more sensitive to his feelings than those of other Jews because of the extreme difficulties that he faces. It is not easy to leave one's people and one's home in order to join a  nation with an ancient culture, shared history and rich tradition which is not easily absorbed even after many years of study.

This explains why Jewish Law rules that whoever grieves the convert transgresses three Biblical prohibitions (Baba Metzia 59b). First, it is written “Do not grieve one another” (Leviticus 25:17), which applies to all Jews, including the convert. Then the Torah adds two more specific laws against grieving the convert: “You shall not wrong a stranger, nor oppress him; for you were strangers in the land of Egypt” (Exodus 22:20), and “If a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not wrong him. But the stranger who dwells with you shall be to you as one born among you, and you shall love him as yourself…” (Leviticus 19:33-34).

We are twice commanded to love the convert (Rambam, Hilchot Deot 6:4). Firstly, we must love the convert like any other Jew, as it is written, "Love your fellow as yourself” (Leviticus 19:18). And again, regarding the convert in particular, it is written, "Love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt" (Deuteronomy 10:19).

The A-lmighty Himself loves the convert, as it is written, “He loves the convert to give him food and clothing” (Deuteronomy 10:18).

Conversion
Jewish law's attitude to conversion appears contradictory at first glance. There is enormous respect and love for the convert who has left his people in order to join the Jewish people; on the other hand, there is an attempt to dissuade him from converting.

Howver, the reason that Judaism seeks to dissuade the convert is in order to be certain he sincerely wishes to join the Jewish people and that this is not just a passing phase.

The Code of Jewish Law, Shulchan Aruch, rules (Yoreh Deah 268:2) that when a non-Jew comes before a rabbi and requests to convert, the rabbi must say to him: “Why do you want to convert? Don't you realize how much the Jewish people suffer in this world? … Even today there is much anti-Semitism in the world, and many Muslims wish to do away with us. And all of this is because we are Jewish. So why do you want to join our suffering nation? … A non-Jew can also be righteous and can even reach a level of divine inspiration.” If at this point the non-Jew changes his mind about converting, that is fine.

However, if he says, “Despite this, I desire to join you,” he is immediately accepted, and the second stage of the conversion process begins. He is taught the fundamentals of Jewish faith, the prohibition against idolatry, and a number of other laws. Then he is told, “You should know that so long as you are not Jewish, it is permissible for you to labor on the Sabbath and to eat pork or other non-kosher animals. When you convert, however, all of these things become forbidden, and if you violate the Torah you will be punished.” If he agrees and accepts this upon himself, he is converted.

How Much Must the Convert Learn Before Conversion?
There is no need to teach a prospective convert the entire Torah. It is sufficient to teach him some of its foundations, and if he accepts them, he can convert, according to Shulchan Aruch (Yoreh Deah 268:2), which states: “He is taught some of the minor commandments and some of the major commandments, and he is taught some of the punishments for violating the commandments,” but, “we do not overburden him and we are not overly strict with him.”

The Essence of the Conversion
The essence of converting to Judaism is to accept commitment to the Torah and the commandments before a rabbinic court. The prospective convert is taught the fundamentals, and if he demonstrates a willingness to accept the rest, he is converted immediately, and thereafter continues to study and grow as a Jew.

This practice has its source in a number of Talmudic anecdotes, the most famous one being the following from Tr. Shabbat 31a:

A non-Jew once came before Shammai the Elder and said to him, “I wish to convert, but I will only do so on the condition that you teach me the entire Torah while I stand on one foot.” Shammai pushed him away, reasoning that it is impossible to teach a person the entire Torah on one foot. But the same individual came before Hillel the Elder, and Hillel agreed to convert him, telling him, “That which is undesirable to you, do not do to your fellow. This is the entire Torah, the rest is all commentary.”

In other words, the idea that a person should not do to others that which he himself finds undesirable is the central idea of the Torah. Since there are many precepts that do not seem to be connected with this idea, it follows that in order to understand Hillel’s words, the convert must continue studying.

Yet the law says that if a non-Jew is not ready to accept upon himself all of the commandments, it is forbidden to convert him. How, then, did Hillel convert this non-Jew who only knew about loving your fellow man?

Hillel understood that this non-Jew had pure intentions, but lacked knowledge. He was certain that when it came down to it, he would continue to learn Torah and fulfill all of the commandments (Tosafot, Yevamot 109b). From here we learn that it is unnecessary to learn all of the Torah's laws before converting; it is sufficient that the rabbinic court reach the conclusion that the convert earnestly intends to join the Jewish people and accept upon himself the yoke of the Torah (Beit Yosef 268, end).

However, if the rabbinic court accepts someone who does not intend to keep the commandments to begin with, this will cause great damage to the Jewish people, and in this regard the Sages said (Yevamot 109b): “Evil will come upon those who accept [insincere] converts.”

Conversion in Practice
In sum, two matters must be clarified by the rabbinic court before it can accept a convert: 1) Does the convert harbor ulterior motives? 2) Is the convert ready to accept the Torah and its commandments?

When it is clear that the convert is sincere on both counts, the main part of the conversion process is complete, and the rabbinic court proceeds to the practical aspects of  conversion. Just as the Jewish people entered a covenant with the A-lmighty by way of three acts - circumcision, ritual immersion, and sacrifice - so must the non-Jew who seeks to join us enter the covenant of the Jewish people via circumcision for men, ritual immersion, and sacrifice.

As the Holy Temple does not exist today, conversion does not include sacrifice.  However, regarding circumcision and ritual immersion, one who has not carried out these two acts is not a convert.

Accepting the Commandments
No other nation in the world possesses a concept resembling Jewish conversion. Many countries grant citizenship to  immigrants, parallel to the idea of a 'ger toshav' in Jewish law. A 'ger toshav' is a non-Jew who is permitted to live in the land of Israel on the condition that he keeps the Seven Noahide Laws and accepts Jewish sovereignty over the Land of Israel.

An Italian who receives American citizenship remains Italian as well, but a convert to Judaism becomes Jewish in all respects - not only as far as citizens' rights are concerned, but also as far as absolute national belonging.

Therefore, the foremost condition of conversion is that the convert accept upon himself the Torah. The Torah is essentially an expression of the national character of the Jewish people. The spirit of the Torah and the spirit of the nation are one.  Just as the Jewish people became a nation by accepting the Torah at Mount Sinai, so must one who wishes to join the Jewish people accept upon himself the Torah as an individual before a rabbinic court.

However, if after the rabbinic court becomes convinced that the convert's intentions are pure and converts him, the convert begins to neglect the Torah, he continues to be considered Jewish. Just as a Jew who does not yet observe all of the commandments of the Torah is nonetheless considered Jewish, so too, a convert who subsequently neglects the Torah remains Jewish.

Defining the Acceptance of the Commandments
As noted above, there is no need to teach a prospective convert all of the complexities of the law. He is taught  the essentials, beginning with commandments relating to Jewish faith, and  the prohibition of idolatry, then commandments teaching one how to behave toward others, and then the fundamental laws relating to the Sabbath, family purity, and kosher food.

What if the convert is prepared in principle to accept the Torah commandments, but believes that now and then he will have to transgress some of the commandments?

The eminent Rabbi Chaim Ozer Grodinski (“The Achiezer”) holds that it is possible to convert such a person. This is because we relate to the acceptance of commandments in principle. In principle, the convert has agreed to take upon himself observance of the commandments, and it is only on occasion that he believes he will transgress.

Although there are important authorities who disagree with this opinion, in practice, many follow the ruling of Rabbi Grodinski, and if it is clear to the rabbinic court that the convert accepts the commandments in principle, it is possible to convert him.

A Reform or Conservative "conversion" is not valid at all because the convert in principle does not accept all of the commandments.

Offline Raulmarrio2000

• Master JTFer
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
When it is clear that the convert is sincere on both counts, the main part of the conversion process is complete, and the rabbinic court proceeds to the practical aspects of  conversion. Just as the Jewish people entered a covenant with the A-lmighty by way of three acts - circumcision, ritual immersion, and sacrifice - so must the non-Jew who seeks to join us enter the covenant of the Jewish people via circumcision for men, ritual immersion, and sacrifice.

Just a question. I suppose that ALL opinions consider that soemone who has not undergone the practical aspects of conversion remains a full fledged Gentile. Do you know if I am correct? The text says that when someone has been sincere about his willingness to accept all the commandments and has no ulterior motives, his conversion is almost complete, even if he has not learned all the Laws. What does it actually mean?
I ask this because, when I was studying to convert I was willing to accept all the mitzvots and had no ulterior motives, even more I did know most of the hallachot. But then decided that it was better to remain a Noahide lest I might occassionaly violate some mitzvah. I did not attend any Court or something like that. I suppose I can consider myself fully Gentile and bound only to the Noahide Laws. But that text about a conversion being almost complete when someone is sincere worries me. Can I be 100% sure that I am a Noahide? I hope so. If not, it means I have been sinning all this time since I abandoned conversion.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 11:03:17 AM »
The RCA supports the bill.  Read their statement here:

http://www.rabbis.org/news/article.cfm?id=105576