Author Topic: Arabs slaying a miserable cow  (Read 3304 times)

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
Re: Arabs slaying a miserable cow
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 09:05:43 PM »
Why doesn't everybody just all use the electric bolt slaughter instead?
That seems to be the most humane way to kill the cow.
Kosher and Halal slaughter is still violent and inhumane. It involves a live conscious cow being sliced and hung up-side-down by one leg until it slowly bleeds to death.
Why not move into the 21st century?
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »
Ari just make sure that if you do give up meat that you get enough iron, B12, and other important nutrients from alternative sources. There is a product for vegetarians called Red Star Nutritional Yeast that's supposed to be a vegetarian support formula.
Thanks Rubystars, I will jot that down in my bookmarks.  Would I need to take that if I eat fish almost every day?

I think eating fish helps but be careful about the mercury other possible contaminants that could build up in your system and cause health problems. Fish itself is healthy but because of pollution often the water the fish is in isn't, espcially predator fish that eat other creatures that accumulate mercury, etc.

Here's some info about the product, I think it replaces some of the nutrients that are usually in beef:
http://www.bulkfoods.com/yeast.htm

Don't look at the price on that page, it's talking about a huge bulk amount, but the info on the product is valid.

This site sells it:
http://store.veganessentials.com/red-star-nutritional-yeast-p734.aspx

Vitamin profile:

Thiamin - 640% RDA, Niacin – 280% RDA, Folic Acid – 60% RDA, Selenium – 32% RDA, Iron – 4% RDA, Riboflavin – 565% RDA, Vitamin B6 – 480% RDA, Vitamin B12 – 133% RDA, Zinc – 21% RDA

Thanks Rubystars. :)
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2010, 10:15:49 PM »
You're welcome! I want people in JTF to be healthy!

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2010, 11:05:46 PM »
Kosher and Halal slaughter is still violent and inhumane. It involves a live conscious cow being sliced and hung up-side-down by one leg until it slowly bleeds to death.

Because G-d said so... Torah clearly says that Kosher slaughter should be done with a sharp knife to slit the throat...

The explanation as to why is very complex, having to do with the reason animals are allowed to be eaten by man...

Remember that we are supposed to be offering Korbanot at the altar and us devout Jews believe when Moshiach comes we will once again offer Korbanot at the Temple.

Also, according to Halacha the animal should feel no pain...

Here is Chabads discussion of the Shechita process:

Why Do Jews Practice Shechita?

Jewish law states that, if meat is to be eaten (Genesis IX: 3), Jews are required to dispatch an animal by shechita, a carefully prescribed humane method. It is the only method permitted by Jewish law and its practice causes no suffering to the animal.

http://www.chabad.org/library/article_cdo/aid/222241/jewish/Why-Do-Jews-Practice-Shechita.htm

Animal welfare in Jewish law

Jewish law requires that animals be treated with consideration, kindness and respect. The Bible (Torah) is the first systematic legislation prohibiting cruelty to animals and mandating their humane treatment. These laws are binding on Jews today.

For example:

• It is prohibited to cause pain to animals - Tza'ar Ba'alei Chayim - (Talmud B.M. 32a)

• A person is required to feed his animals before himself (Deuteronomy XI:15)

• Animals are to rest on the Sabbath since work is forbidden (Ex. XX:10 and Deut V:14)

• It is prohibited to sever a limb from a live animal and eat it (Genesis IX:4)

• One is obligated to relieve an animal’s suffering (Deuteronomy XXII:4)

• It is forbidden to kill a cow and her calf on the same day (Leviticus XXII:28)

• An animal threshing corn must not be muzzled (Deuteronomy XXV:4)

• An ox and donkey must not be harnessed together (Deuteronomy XXII:10)

From these biblical injunctions flow numerous laws for animal care and relief of animal suffering. Blood sports have always been forbidden to Jews.

Jewish teaching permits the taking of an animal’s life in order to fulfill the human need for food. The method is through shechita and a shochet is always aware that it is his responsibility to perform shechita only as prescribed by the Torah (Jewish law), which is a most humane method. Any modification renders the meat unconditionally forbidden to Jews as food.

Judaism recognizes the link between the treatment of animals and the treatment of human beings. A person who is cruel to animals is likely to be cruel to people. Animal welfare is an important part of Jewish law and tradition. The personal conduct of a Jew in his religious observance and moral integrity is a fundamental part of the assessment of his suitability to practise as a licensed shochet.

How Is Shechita Performed?

Shechita is performed with a surgically sharp instrument (a chalaf), which must be perfectly smooth without the minutest notch or irregularity. The shochet constantly examines the instrument to ensure this standard is maintained. The frontal structures at the neck including the trachea, oesophagus, the carotid arteries and jugular veins are severed in a rapid and uninterrupted action causing an instant drop in blood pressure in the brain. This results in the immediate and irreversible cessation of consciousness and sensibility to pain. Proponents of stunning seek to achieve the state of unconsciousness by additional intervention, but shechita humanely incorporates stunning as an integral part of the procedure, which renders the animal insensible to pain, dispatches and exsanguinates with a rapid action.

Exsanguination is the bleed-out of the carcass. This is especially important in Jewish law as Jews are forbidden to consume blood (Deuteronomy XII:23). Exsanguination is necessary in all methods of animal slaughter since blood deteriorates quickly and could putrefy the meat if it is retained in the animal. Shechita ensures maximum exsanguination.

There are five Halachic requirements that the shochet is obliged to ensure in the performance of shechita, (Shulchan Oruch, Yoreh De'ah: 23):

a) There should be no interruption of the incision (Shehiya);

b) There should be no pressing of the chalaf against the neck (Derasa), this would exclude use of a guillotine;

c) The chalaf should not be covered by the hide of cattle, wool of sheep or feathers of birds (Chalada), and therefore the chalaf has to be of adequate length;

d) The incision must be at the appropriate site to sever the major structures and vessels at the neck (Hagrama);

e) There must be no tearing of the vessels before or during the shechita process (Ikkur).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:12:51 PM by muman613 »
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 09:31:34 PM »
Chaim has also said on past Ask JTF shows that electric shocks are *very* painful. 

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 09:51:55 PM »

I don't believe it is true that kosher slaughter requires hanging the cow upside down.   

And why is an electric bolt any better than slicing its neck?

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »

I don't believe it is true that kosher slaughter requires hanging the cow upside down.   

I believe that shortly after the slaughter the blood must be drained. I have not seen it nor do I know the specifics but that may be the reason...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 11:29:56 PM »

I believe that shortly after the slaughter the blood must be drained. I have not seen it nor do I know the specifics but that may be the reason...

Blood can be drained without hanging upside down.  You really shouldn't speak unless you know.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »

Blood can be drained without hanging upside down.  You really shouldn't speak unless you know.

Let me see what I can find via the Jewish search engine http://www.4torah.com

http://www.kosherquest.org/bookhtml/SHECHITA_THROUGH_BUTCHER.htm

IS IT KOSHER?

SHECHITA

One question often asked by people who are considering observing the laws of kashrus is, "Why does kosher meat have to cost so much?" We will attempt to answer this valid question by looking at the process of "shechita," Jewish ritual slaughter.

Ritual slaughter of animals differs in many ways from common techniques of slaughter. In ritual slaughter, we find caution and detail in every act. In this rabbinically supervised slaughter, the animal is killed with a knife. In this act we emphasize Jewish respect for the dignity of life. Great care is taken to use a knife that has been properly sharpened. The blade must be flawless, without a nick, and perfectly smooth, thus assuring that the kill will be quick, clean and painless to the animal.

This entire process begins with the shochet (ritual slaughterer) inspecting the knife for possible flaws and nicks. He does this by running the edge of his fingernail and finger up and down the blade. The slightest nick means that the knife must be resharpened. After this, he recites a short Bracha before beginning the actual Shechita.

This knife (chalaf) is usually about 6 inches long for chickens and 18 inches long for larger animals. The knife has no point at the end of it, and is of equal width from top to bottom. These precautions are necessary in order to guarantee that the neck of the animal will not be torn. The shochet must cut through the trachea and esophagus to the jugular vein very quickly and in a clean fashion. He must not kill the animal by stabbing it.

The animal’s neck is first washed thoroughly to remove any sand particles in the fur which could cause a nick in the knife during slaughter. The shochet’s hand must be very steady, and he must employ one continuous movement, carefully avoiding the spine. This cut only takes a few seconds and is a much more humane method of killing an animal than are such common practices as smashing the head, shooting the animal or scalding it while it is still alive.

Following the slaughter, the carcass is hung upside down so that the blood can drain properly. Then the shochet checks for adhesions on the lungs, which would indicate an abscess. If one is found, the animal is rejected as unkosher. Only about 30 percent of slaughtered animals can be used for kosher distribution.

At this point the traibering process is begun. The major blood vessels, nerves and forbidden fats will be removed.

The carcass is then divided into primal cuts. The next step is soaking the meat in water for 30 minutes. It is then salted for 1 hour, and then washed another 3 times.

A large slaughterhouse, when operating full time, may be able to slaughter 60 to 150 animals per hour. This process requires shochtim and rabbis on the premises for additional help in supervision. After the soaking and salting, a plumba (kosher seal) is either attached or stamped onto the meat or chicken.

Thus, the number of people needed to work in a kosher slaughtering and packing house is many times greater than in a non-kosher establishment and this considerably increases the price per pound of kosher meat. In addition, most butcher shops are relatively small businesses and must operate at a higher mark-up than do large chain supermarkets.

LAWS OF SHECHITA

There are 5 ways in which the slaughter becomes not kosher:

1) Shehiya. There must not be the least pause during the process of shechita.

2) Derassa. The process of slaughtering must be done by moving the knife back and forth — not through downward pressure. The knife, therefore, must be long enough to allow slaughtering without too much pressure. Moreover, the animal must be in such a position that undo pressure will not be placed on the knife.

3) Chalada. The shechita knife must be uncovered during the entire process of shechita. For this reason, the knife for shechita has a long and broad blade without a thin sharp end at the front or back.

4) Hagrama. The cut must be performed on the throat, between the level of the larynx and the lower part of the trachea and esophagus.

5) Ikkur. The trachea and esophagus must be cut through and not ripped out. The knife, therefore, must be very sharp and very smooth. The smallest nick in the blade will cause tearing. For this reason, the knife is checked for smoothness and sharpness before and after each shechita.

http://rabbi.bendory.com/pix/shechita/
http://rabbi.bendory.com/pix/shechita/tn/imgp1508.jpg.php
Lifting the Carcass
The cow is lifted and the blood is rinsed away.

http://rabbi.bendory.com/pix/shechita/tn/imgp1509.jpg.php
The carcass is hung to drain the blood.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »
...from the cow's mad screams, I'd say slicing his throat is painful.

A Jew invented the atom bomb almost a hundred years ago.
I'm sure in the 21st century another Jew can find a better way to kill a cow.

Another thing is from the videos, you really don't completely drain out all the cows blood.
Its still red, therefore there's still blood in there.

BTW this is not to fight against Jewish law, but a quest for knowledge.
U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2010, 10:05:53 AM »
Muman:  Oh I see.  I was thinking of something else.  There is something called "shackle and hoist" method which the Israeli rabbinate has decided is unethical and they are getting rid of this.   It is being replaced with another method of hanging the cow upside down.

I did read that there is another alternative which requires shechting the cow while it stands there, without turning upside down, but there is some kind of chumrah which prevents the kashrut agencies from accepting this method because of some other factor.  So it does seem that today the common practice is that hanging upside down gets the blood drained more quickly.    That said, this appears to occur after the cow is already dead.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »
...from the cow's mad screams, I'd say slicing his throat is painful.

Shocking the cow is also painful, and I'm sure he screams there too.

How does one exactly kill an animal without pain?   Killing usually hurts.   The point is to minimize pain and produce as little as possible.  I can't see that you've offered any viable alternative.   And I'm sure they been thinking about them.

Offline Thaar_Revenge

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2010, 07:17:19 AM »
Jooish kosher slaughter is nothing better. It is just the same. I do not like this way of slaughtering. But that is how it is commanded, so we have to do it that way.