5 (14.3%)
Convert
1 (2.9%)
Gentile
17 (48.6%)
Mix of Ashkenai & Sephardi
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: how many Jews and Gentiles do we have on this forum?  (Read 6619 times)

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
Re: how many Jews and Gentiles do we have on this forum?
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 12:03:38 AM »
i was born on the plane ... :'(

so what does that mean?
it means w/e the hell do you want it to mean my mom is from Georgia and father from Turkey i was born in plane towards Israel

Offline Mizrahi 4 LIFE

• Full JTFer
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 12:05:45 AM »

so what does that mean?
it means w/e the hell do you want it to mean my mom is from Georgia and father from Turkey i was born in plane towards Israel

you speak Georgian? or Ladino?

Offline Haim_Ben_Shimon_3JFB

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 12:11:48 AM »

so what does that mean?

you speak Georgian? or Ladino?
both plus 3 more languages i am very linguistic person i love learning new languages mainly i speak English  as u see

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 04:02:53 AM »

Ashkenazi Jews. One part of my ancestry has been living in France for a very long time and is very assimilated (some of them quite anti-religious, of the French secular rationalist universalist tradition). Another part is of Eastern European descent and is much more religious. It has been a long-standing line of contrast and dispute within my family and has resulted in many passionate discussions and confrontations !

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 06:51:43 AM »
100 % Obamanian  and proud

:::D

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 08:18:43 AM »
Imam in chief of qurananimal cult              :::D :::D
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Historical Truth

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 10:49:38 AM »
I'm a gentile of Mediterranean/Nordic/Gaelic/Scandinavian  ancestry.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 11:16:43 AM »
Im a Chassidic Ashkenazi Jew, whos family immigrated to USA from Ukraine and Poland in the 1910s...

have a friend whose now Sephardi/Mizrahi, his parents from Ukraine, he told me that Yosef Karo had  one desencended who moved to Europe modern day Ukraine

Never heard of a Ashkenazi become Sephardic, I thought this has to do with the country you are from and ethnic?

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 11:18:31 AM »

Ashkenazi Jews. One part of my ancestry has been living in France for a very long time and is very assimilated (some of them quite anti-religious, of the French secular rationalist universalist tradition). Another part is of Eastern European descent and is much more religious. It has been a long-standing line of contrast and dispute within my family and has resulted in many passionate discussions and confrontations !

I thought most French Jews are Sephardic? Majority come from North Africa

Offline IsraeliGovtAreKapos

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 11:20:01 AM »
Im a Chassidic Ashkenazi Jew, whos family immigrated to USA from Ukraine and Poland in the 1910s...

have a friend whose now Sephardi/Mizrahi, his parents from Ukraine, he told me that Yosef Karo had  one desencended who moved to Europe modern day Ukraine

Never heard of a Ashkenazi become Sephardic, I thought this has to do with the country you are from and ethnic?

No. This is 2 different methods of Judaism to put it simply (differet customs; I wish I could explain it in English).

Offline Dr. Dan

• Forum Administrator
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 11:22:15 AM »
sefardi persian
If someone says something bad about you, say something nice about them. That way, both of you would be lying.

In your heart you know WE are right and in your guts you know THEY are nuts!

"Science without religion is lame; Religion without science is blind."  - Albert Einstein

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 11:23:44 AM »

No. This is 2 different methods of Judaism to put it simply (differet customs; I wish I could explain it in English).

I never heard of a Jew from Iraq being called Ashkenazi even if they follow Ashkenazi tradition.

I think most of my families ways would be very different from most Jewish families from my old area and even our appearance. I think we were the tallest family on the block, though I had some monsters in my family.

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 11:30:36 AM »

I never heard of a Jew from Iraq being called Ashkenazi even if they follow Ashkenazi tradition.

I think most of my families ways would be very different from most Jewish families from my old area and even our appearance. I think we were the tallest family on the block, though I had some monsters in my family.

I'm a Jew "from" Russia and I'm called Sephardic. It's time for you to understand what Ashkeazi really means. By the way, there are Sephards from Russia and Ashkenazis from the Arab countries.

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »

Sephardic Jews began to be the majority of Jews in France around 1960, because of the Shoah and because part of the Jews who lived in North Africa emigrated to France after all Maghreb countries became independent.
Today, Ashkenazi Jews make up around 25% of French Jews.
Among the French Jews who spend vacation in Israel or have property in Israel, there is a vast majority of Sephardic Jews, maybe that is why you get the impression that all French Jews are Sephardic Jews.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2010, 12:11:52 PM »

I'm a Jew "from" Russia and I'm called Sephardic. It's time for you to understand what Ashkeazi really means. By the way, there are Sephards from Russia and Ashkenazis from the Arab countries.

I am unable to find anything about it, can you provide any links regarding sephardic Jews in Russia?

Offline New Yorker

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2010, 01:12:36 PM »

Sephardic from Morocco, well my family is, I was born in New York NY USA. You'd think I could get a tan wouldn't you, nope, I get lobster red, I is a complete whitey. Go figure.
Nuke the arabs till they glow, then shoot them in the dark.

Offline White Israelite

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2010, 01:29:23 PM »

Sephardic from Morocco, well my family is, I was born in New York NY USA. You'd think I could get a tan wouldn't you, nope, I get lobster red, I is a complete whitey. Go figure.

lol it's funny you mention that, people comment that I have a very typical Mizrahi face and my skin is quite light especially in the winter though I get dark brown in the sun and do not normally burn. My mother is medium tone, and my dad was a dark complexion but yet I am lighter than both of them. My hair is also light to medium brown but my mothers hair is light brown, my dads hair was black and curly yet I don't seem to really have curly hair, more wavy. I do have black eyes though, and I do mean black, not dark brown.

On a side note, this is interesting.

Some Sephardic Jews from Spain, Portugal, and Turkey also found their way to Poland and Romania and intermarried with Ashkenazic Jews. This has been confirmed by investigating numerous individual families' genealogies, some of which have Sephardic surnames and oral traditions of Sephardic ancestry. The Rappaport families came from northern Italy to eastern Europe, but one theory contends that they originated in Oporto, Portugal. Other Sephardic surnames include Peretz and Basson. The existence of Sephardic Jews in Poland and Russia is briefly cited in the famous genealogy books by Dan Rottenberg (Finding Our Fathers) and Arthur Kurzweil (From Generation to Generation). An example of a town where Sephardic Jews settled is Zamosc in Poland.

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »

Interesting, though I don't know why any Chassid would want to change to Sephardi because we have a rich culture... I am a follower of Breslov whos Gadol is Rabbi Nachman of Breslov, a great grandson of the Bal Shem Tov, the father of Chassidus...

Sephardi is also a rich culture. 

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »

Interesting, though I don't know why any Chassid would want to change to Sephardi because we have a rich culture... I am a follower of Breslov whos Gadol is Rabbi Nachman of Breslov, a great grandson of the Bal Shem Tov, the father of Chassidus...

Indeed.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2010, 01:36:25 PM »

Then what if a person is from multiple places and multiple ethnicities?

These terms (ashkenazi, sephardic, etc) have practices and customs attached to them and that is one way to define them.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »

That is not my point.... i respect fully Sephardi culture, and I have said I have many Sephardi friends in my minyan.... But my puzzlement was due to the fact that the person he mentioned has an Ashkenazi background... Most Jews will follow the minhag which their family has kept... We have discussed this before and there may be reasons a person would follow the other minhag, but most Rabbis will still recommend keeping the minhag of the family.

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2010, 01:47:27 PM »

No, they're mixed.  Some are Sephardi (spanish origin) and some are Ashkenazi (German/French/ west European origin).

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2010, 01:49:37 PM »

That is not my point.... i respect fully Sephardi culture, and I have said I have many Sephardi friends in my minyan.... But my puzzlement was due to the fact that the person he mentioned has an Ashkenazi background... Most Jews will follow the minhag which their family has kept... We have discussed this before and there may be reasons a person would follow the other minhag, but most Rabbis will still recommend keeping the minhag of the family.

Sounds like someone is a little insecure.

• Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2010, 01:54:21 PM »

lol it's funny you mention that, people comment that I have a very typical Mizrahi face and my skin is quite light especially in the winter though I get dark brown in the sun and do not normally burn. My mother is medium tone, and my dad was a dark complexion but yet I am lighter than both of them. My hair is also light to medium brown but my mothers hair is light brown, my dads hair was black and curly yet I don't seem to really have curly hair, more wavy. I do have black eyes though, and I do mean black, not dark brown.

On a side note, this is interesting.

Some Sephardic Jews from Spain, Portugal, and Turkey also found their way to Poland and Romania and intermarried with Ashkenazic Jews. This has been confirmed by investigating numerous individual families' genealogies, some of which have Sephardic surnames and oral traditions of Sephardic ancestry. The Rappaport families came from northern Italy to eastern Europe, but one theory contends that they originated in Oporto, Portugal. Other Sephardic surnames include Peretz and Basson. The existence of Sephardic Jews in Poland and Russia is briefly cited in the famous genealogy books by Dan Rottenberg (Finding Our Fathers) and Arthur Kurzweil (From Generation to Generation). An example of a town where Sephardic Jews settled is Zamosc in Poland.

Ashkenazi Jews migrated to Turkey where the vast majority were Sephardi Jews.  This is noted in the Teshuvot (Halachic Responsa) of Rabbi Nathan Adler (rebbe of the Chatham Sofer), whom they ask what they should do about their custom of nusah tefillah and davening.  They ask, should we maintain our own nusah (nusah Ashkenaz) and create a separate kehilla to daven separately from the already existing kehilla of Sephardi Jews, or should we adopt their nusah tefilla and join their existing kehilla?   He advises them to join the existing kehilla and adopt their nusah.  This point is particularly relevant given what Muman is trying to claim about what "most rabbis advise" nowadays.

It is also well known that waves of Ashkenazim joined the majority Sephardim in Morocco.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »

Sounds like someone is a little insecure.

No,  not really.... Just it is a little odd for people to change like that...
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14