Author Topic: Israeli wins world's most prestigious math prize  (Read 7406 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
Israeli wins world's most prestigious math prize
« on: August 22, 2010, 05:26:43 AM »
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3939799,00.html

Israeli wins world's most prestigious math prize

"Great honor for Israel: Hebrew University Professor Elon Lindenstrauss first Israeli to be awarded Fields Medal, world's most important math prize; 'It's a strange feeling, I'm not used to speaking to journalists,' winner tells Ynet

Yael Branovsky

Great honor for Israel: Professor Elon Lindenstrauss from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem's Einstein Institute of Mathematics has been awarded the prestigious Fields Medal for 2010.

"The feeling is a little odd, I'm not used to speaking to journalists. No doubt, speaking before the cameras is an interesting experience," Lindenstrauss told Ynet after his achievement was announced. 

The medal, dubbed "mathematics' Nobel Prize," is the world's most important math prize. It is awarded once every four years to researchers aged 40 years or under.

Lindenstrauss will receive the prize along with three other mathematicians at the International Mathematical Union congress in India. The prize will be awarded by Indian President Pratibha Patil.

Great honor for Israel

"I've known about the award for six months, but I was told to keep it a secret so I did," Lindenstrauss told Ynet. "However, in Israel it's very hard to keep a secret, and for a while now I've been receiving well-wishes."

Lindenstrauss said that wining the prize is a "great responsibility" and added that he was surprised to win it.

"It's an exceptional feeling. I know many brilliant, exceptional mathematicians…it's very surprising to be chosen out of all these brilliant minds," he said. "I received the award for a series of projects, some of them undertaken with partners. One of the joys here is the ability join forces with other mathematicians; this is one of the things I love most about this field."

Distinguished military career

The prize is named after John Charles Fields, a mathematician and philosopher at Toronto University. Fields donated the prize and drew up the criteria which differentiate it from the Nobel: The winner must prove significant mathematical achievements and show potential for the future.

Prof. Alex Lubotzky, Lindenstrauss' colleague from the Einstein Institute, said the Israeli winner he had been awarded the prize for work that uses probabilistic and dynamic systems for solving problems in number theory.

"There is a broad Israeli component in Lindenstrauss' mathematics, and his work uses methods developed by Israeli researchers from the Hebrew University," Lubotzky said.

Lindenstrauss (40), a Jerusalem resident, is a graduate of the Air Force's elite Talpiot program, holds the rank of major (res.) and was even awarded the highly-regarded Israel Defense Prize. He has a math and physics undergraduate degree and a masters and doctorate in mathematics from the Hebrew University. After receiving his doctorate, he became a member of Princeton's Institute of Advanced Study and in 2008 received a professorship at the Hebrew University.

His father is Yoram Lindenstrauss, professor emeritus at the Einstein Institute. His uncle is Israel's State Comptroller Micha Lindenstrauss.

This is not the first time Lindenstrauss has been awarded prestigious prizes. He won the Haim Nessyahu Prize in Mathematics for his doctoral research, the Salem Prize for young mathematicians in 2004, the European Mathematical Union prize in 2004, the Erdos Prize of the Israel Mathematical Union for 2009, and the Fermat Prize for Mathematics of the Toulouse Mathematics Institute.

"Israel is a mathematical power, but till now no Israeli researcher had won this prize," said Hebrew University President Professor  Menachem Ben-Sasson. "The 40 year age limitation is certainly an obstacle for young researchers who are compelled to start their academic lives relatively late because of army service. However, Lindenstrauss proves that the talented among the world's scientists can cope even with this obstacle.""

:dance:
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline TruthSpreader

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
Re: Israeli wins world's most prestigious math prize
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 07:26:15 AM »
 :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Can't wait for the next troll to say Iran outranks Israel in math!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »
I'd like to see Ralph's response to this one.  :laugh: :::D

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:01 AM »
I'd like to see Ralph's response to this one.  :laugh: :::D

He would not like this.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision

Offline syyuge

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 02:35:43 PM »
Perhaps some of his probability theories may explain that Iranians being minuscule in mathematics still can have a chance to get some mini rank in some remote places and at some scattered times.
 :laugh:
There are thunders and sparks in the skies, because Faraday invented the electricity.

Offline Debbie Shafer

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »
I know that many Israelis are superior in Math, Science, and Technology.  Islam cannot beat Israel fairly, or equally, or America militarily, so they are trying to take over our way of life in changing our societies.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 06:05:36 PM »
I know that many Israelis are superior in Math, Science, and Technology.  Islam cannot beat Israel fairly, or equally, or America militarily, so they are trying to take over our way of life in changing our societies.

That's right. Islam makes you stupid. How many Albert Einsteins live in the Muslim world? Not many.

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 06:39:50 PM »
Imagine if the 6 million had lived and had children and grandchildren.  The world would have had many, many more geniuses who would have made this world a much better place.  The brain power that was lost, just among the unborn, is incalcuable.

NEVER AGAIN!

Offline Kahane Fan

• New JTFer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 06:50:59 PM »
You know damn well that if an Iranian deserved to win a nobel prize, turing prize, or fields medal prize they wouldn't award it to him. They're biased against Muslims. There can be no bias in head to head competition and Iranian university students beat Israel every year and they even beat Princeton. You can't claim that Arabs are in Israeli schools because I have the names of the Israeli competitors and they have Jewish names: Dan Carmon, Irya Gringlaz, Shahar Papini, Amos Onn, Shoham Letzter, Alexey Gladkich, and Gal Dor. They're all Jewish.

So what gives? How can these dumb Iranian university students outrank Israel ever year? Sounds to me like all this hyped Jewish intelligence is another Jewish lie.

"The competition was for students completing their first, second, third or fourth year of university education and will consist of 2 Sessions of 5 hours each. Problems will be from the fields of Algebra, Analysis (Real and Complex), Geometry and Combinatorics. Over the previous fifteen competitions we have had students from over one hundred and seventy universities from forty three countries."

1 Kyiv Taras Shevchenko National University 270.75
2 Jagiellonian University 269.75
3 Moscow State University 264.17
4 Loránd Eötvös University 258.23
5 Sharif University of Technology, Tehran 247.40
6 Israeli national team 240.71

7 University of Bonn 235.17
8 St. Petersburg State University 234.80
9 École Polytechnique, Paris 233.78
10 Princeton University 233.12
11 Politehnica Bucuresti 225.22
12 Belarusian State University 223.83
13 Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology 210.71
14 Warsaw University 209.50
15 Masaryk University, Brno 200.00
16 Technical University of Cluj-Napoca 199.50
17 University of Bucharest 194.60
18 Colombian team 184.83
19 Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 184.00
20 Ukrainian team 177.33
21 National University of Athens 177.00
22 Budapest University of Technology and Economics 176.25
23 Yerevan State University 176.25
24 Universidade Federal do Ceará 174.67
25 Belgrade University 174.25
26 Amirkabir University of Technology, Tehran 173.83
27 National Technical University of Athens 171.44
28 Berlin Mathematical School 169.33
29 Cambridge University 165.75
30 Univerza v Ljubljani 165.50
31 Instituto Tecnológcio de Aeronáutica, Sao Paolo 164.80
32 University of Zagreb 162.90
33 Jacobs University, Bremen 156.50
34 Charles University, Prague 150.33
35 University of Helsinki 149.80
36 Instituto Militar de Engenharia, Rio de Janeiro 149.60
37 Helsinki University of Technology 148.50
38 Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya 130.67
39 Georg-August-Universität Göttingen 130.50
40 Utrecht University 123.75
41 Ghent University 122.67
42 Comenius University in Bratislava 121.75
43 University of Michigan 119.60
44 Indonesian team 118.25
45 Angola team 117.33
46 University of Szeged 115.25
47 University of Amsterdam 109.00
48 Shahid Bahonar University, Kerman 105.40
49 Ferdowsi University of Mashhad 104.60
50 Hanoi University of Science 104.00
51 Austrian team 100.00
52 University of Warwick 98.67
53 University of Architecture, Civil Engineering and Geodesy 91.14
54 Universidad Autónoma de Madrid 88.00
IMC2009 Final Scores - Teams' Contest page 2/2
55 Universidad de Zaragoza 86.67
56 University of Tartu 82.67
57 Universitat de València 80.25
58 University of Isfahan 78.80
59 Mongolian University of Science and Technology 65.33
60 National University of Mongolia 65.33
61 Universidad Complutense de Madrid 56.00
62 University of Cyprus 42.67
63 Isfahan University of Technology 42.40
64 Pontificia Comillas de Madrid 26.25
65 Fed. Univ. of Tech. Owerri, Nigeria 6.67

http://www.imc-math.org.uk/imc2009/IMC2009-FinalScores-Teams.pdf

Offline Kahane Fan

• New JTFer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
"In 2003, administrators at Stanford University's Electrical Engineering Department were startled when a group of foreign students aced the notoriously difficult Ph.D. entrance exam, getting some of the highest scores ever. That the whiz kids weren't American wasn't odd; students from Asia and elsewhere excel in U.S. programs. The surprising thing, say Stanford administrators, is that the majority came from one country and one school: Sharif University of Science and Technology in Iran."

http://www.newsweek.com/2008/08/08/the-star-students-of-the-islamic-republic.html

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 06:59:30 PM »
Some things are more predictable than death and taxes.
::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Kahane Fan

• New JTFer
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 07:06:42 PM »

How did they do it? No one has answered that question yet. If the Iranians are so dumb how did they outperform Princeton and Tel Aviv university? How were Iranians students able to make up the majority of PhD candidates who aced the notoriously difficult PhD entrance exam in electrical engineering at Stanford University?

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 07:10:57 PM »

How did they do it? No one has answered that question yet. If the Iranians are so dumb how did they outperform Princeton and Tel Aviv university? How were Iranians students able to make up the majority of PhD candidates who aced the notoriously difficult PhD entrance exam in electrical engineering at Stanford University?

How do I know you would make a statement like this? Go to Iran, yourself and find one Iranian genius for me.

Expect for the small number of Jews I believe there are 25,000 to 40,000 Jews there, I don't think there are any real geniuses in that craphole of a country.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:16:32 PM by YimachShemotoIslam »

Offline Kahane Fan

• New JTFer
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
How do I know you would make a statement like this? Go to Iran, yourself and find one Iranian genius for me.

Just answer the question please. How did those camel-raping, incestuous, sandn.igger, terrorist pedophiles outperform Israel every single year?

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »

Just answer the question please. How did those camel-raping, incestuous, sandn.igger, terrorist pedophiles outperform Israel every single year?

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. That's probably the non-Muslims in live in those Muslim countries or very secular Muslims who don't believe in Islam.

Offline Kahane Fan

• New JTFer
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 07:28:53 PM »

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. That's probably the non-Muslims in live in those Muslim countries or very secular Muslims who don't believe in Islam.

You can read the names in the links I provided. All of the Iranians are Muslims and all of the Israelis are Jews.

I'll admit that Iran has a huge advantage because they have over 70 million people and Israel has 5 million Jews. Iran has 14 times as many students to choose from but there is a discrepancy between these competitions and the nobel prize and other prizes. They're obviously biased against Muslims. They much rather award nobel peace prizes to Iranians in peace like they did with Ebadi rather than give one in science.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »

You can read the names in the links I provided. All of the Iranians are Muslims and all of the Israelis are Jews.

I'll admit that Iran has a huge advantage because they have over 70 million people and Israel has 5 million Jews. Iran has 14 times as many students to choose from but there is a discrepancy between these competitions and the nobel prize and other prizes. They're obviously biased against Muslims. They much rather award nobel peace prizes to Iranians in peace like they did with Ebadi rather than give one in science.

Yeah, sure. How many Iranians do you know that are enrolled in physics, economics and other area?

Offline IsraelForever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 07:46:38 PM »
Why are we assuming that the Iranian students were not Jews?  There are Jews living in Iran and they probably were the students who excelled in Math.

Offline FreedomDefender

• JTFer in Exile
  • Senior JTFer
  • Hello kids. Say no to 3rd reich
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 07:59:15 PM »

That's right. Islam makes you stupid. How many Albert Einsteins live in the Muslim world? Not many.

The answer is zero. They don`t let people to advance, thats all.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »
Why are we assuming that the Iranian students were not Jews?  There are Jews living in Iran and they probably were the students who excelled in Math.

Either that or the small number of Christians living in Iran.

Offline MassuhDGoodName

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 09:56:47 PM »
Re:  "How did those camel-raping, incestuous, sandn.igger, terrorist pedophiles outperform Israel every single year? "

Easy to answer:

Student Iran make's we eat eye of camel make to swallow whole crunching noise while chew.

Then, let's we up to westerner men's room squat over sink move bowels wiping butt drek with bare hand.

To let's we make hand, sniff, good smell yes! smear warm dark brown Mexican chili all over pants and jacket sleeves spelling out the answers to test in s-h_i_ttt words then return to special test with cheat sheet written on arm and leg sub-human waste product.

Piss B to Allah & down leg drain in Turkish toilet.

Smell so bad Joo-man not finish test get up leave go back Israel goodbye

Iran now #1.  Write Farsi feces. 

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 10:31:34 PM »
Ralph, the answer is obvious. These contests are rigged against Israel and in favor of your pederast people.

Offline Yoshebel Y

• New JTFer
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 11:54:11 PM »
Ralph, the answer is obvious. These contests are rigged against Israel and in favor of your pederast people.

Is that so? And all of these competitions are rigged every year both on the high school and college level and in every subject like Chemistry, Physics, Astronomy, computer science, informatics, biology, etc. I can verify all of it. Iran is kicking Israel's a.ss every year. In a few days the 2010 results will be in and it is said that Iran did even better than last year. Ouch. It must hurt your false pride to know that Iranians are wiping the floor with Israel. No wonder you dumb Jews can't manufacture your own weapons while Iran can make it's own drones.

By the way, I have proven in another thread that Iranian Jews have more incestuous marriages than all Iranian ethnic groups including Iranian Muslims. Uncle niece marriages are non-existent among Iranians except for Iranian Jewish marriages. 0.8% of them are between an uncle and a niece. All that incest which Judaism approves of has obviously made Jews very dumb.

Offline Yoshebel Y

• New JTFer
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »

You’re disgusting and you’re burning with jealousy for Iranians. There are only 20,000 Jews in Iran and ever since the revolution all of them have been banned from attending Iran’s top universities. All of the Israelis were also Jews, not Arabs. All of the Iranians in the competition have Iranian or Arab names and all of the Israelis have Jewish names. Read the link I posted. When you’re presented with an obviously superior group of people you desperately make excuses for your inferiority.

Offline Yoshebel Y

• New JTFer
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
Yeah, sure. How many Iranians do you know that are enrolled in physics, economics and other area?

Here's an Iranian who will win a field's medal when she turn's 40, the minumum age requirement for the prize.

http://www.ams.org/news?news_id=339
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maryam_Mirzakhani