Author Topic: 'Building for Jews' Freezes Religious-Zionist Unity Hopes  (Read 1331 times)

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
'Building for Jews' Freezes Religious-Zionist Unity Hopes
« on: October 05, 2010, 12:18:53 AM »
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/139886

An attempt to unify the two religious-Zionist Knesset factions, Jewish Home (HaBayit HaYehudi) and National Union (Ichud Leumi), failed this week as the parties disagreed over how to respond to pressure for a second Judea and Samaria construction freeze.

The National Union had hoped that the Jewish Home, which is part of the Likud-led ruling coalition, would announce it would leave the government if a second Judea and Samaria construction freeze were to be announced. Instead, Jewish Home head and Minister of Science Daniel Hershkowitz announced that his party opposes an additional freeze, but he delivered no ultimatum regarding his party's continued partnership in the coalition.

National Union head MK Yaakov “Ketzaleh” Katz expressed frustration at the decision. “As a result of your 'unanimous' announcement yesterday, there is rejoicing and festivity in the Prime Minister's Office. But it is a day of great mourning for the Jewish people, a day of tears and fasting,” Ketzaleh wrote in a message to Hershkowitz.

“The Prime Minister understands exactly what you mean when you say that you 'oppose the continuation of the construction freeze.' He understands that you won't leave the coalition. As a result, the Prime Minister plans to announce an additional two-month freeze,” he continued. “This means that in the future, even if we had planned to unify, all that has been lost.”

Ketzaleh later defended his harsh message to Hershkowitz. “By staying in the government, Hershkowitz has led Netanyahu to freeze the homes of those who sent me to Knesset, to freeze my homes and the homes of my children, as part of a plan to destroy them. For this reason alone, I can allow myself to fight against Hershkowitz with all my strength,” he said.
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
  • No Appeasement.or Concessions.Fakestine is a Hoax.
Re: 'Building for Jews' Freezes Religious-Zionist Unity Hopes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »
Hopefully,   the National Union Party will remain firm.     They are basically the only semblance of hope of the existing Israeli parties.    Having said that,   the National Union Party should have left the ruling coalition after the 10 month Settlement freeze became a reality.   
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

http://jtf.org/

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 01:42:49 AM »
Hopefully,   the National Union Party will remain firm.     They are basically the only semblance of hope of the existing Israeli parties.    Having said that,   the National Union Party should have left the ruling coalition after the 10 month Settlement freeze became a reality.   
National Union is not part of the ruling coalition.  Yisrael Beiteinu, which at one time was united and allied with National Union, is.  In 2001 National Union was in a coalition with Sharon, again in 2003.  Because of the Gaza pullout National Union broke away from that coalition.  I do not think National Union has been a part of any ruling coalition since then.  At least as far as I know.
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:28:29 AM »
National Union is not part of the ruling coalition.  Yisrael Beiteinu, which at one time was united and allied with National Union, is.  In 2001 National Union was in a coalition with Sharon, again in 2003.  Because of the Gaza pullout National Union broke away from that coalition.  I do not think National Union has been a part of any ruling coalition since then.  At least as far as I know.

While I'm not sure if the following info is accurate,    there's an article Online from last month that mentions that the National Union Party is part of the current coalition:
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/13/world/la-fg-netanyahu-talks-20100914/2

It's unclear whether such an arrangement would silence the complaints of either Palestinians or right-wing Israelis. One lawmaker from the conservative National Union party, which is part of Netanyahu's coalition, reacted to the prime minister's proposal Monday by calling him "spineless."
"Israel's leaders seem to be more afraid of Obama than they are of G-d. Now we're getting to the real root of the problem. Secular politics won't save Israel. Denying the divine nature of the Jewish State has brought Israel neither stability nor peace. When that changes Israel will finally be blessed with both in abundance"-----------NormanF   ( Posted on Israel Matzav's Blog )

Offline eb22

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Ari Shayn,    what you mentioned about the National Union Party not being part of the ruling coalition is indeed the correct information.    A very reliable information source from Israel provided me the info this afternoon.      This is a reminder not to depend on the Los Angeles Times for accurate info.

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 06:54:43 PM »

While I'm not sure if the following info is accurate,    there's an article Online from last month that mentions that the National Union Party is part of the current coalition:
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep/13/world/la-fg-netanyahu-talks-20100914/2

It's unclear whether such an arrangement would silence the complaints of either Palestinians or right-wing Israelis. One lawmaker from the conservative National Union party, which is part of Netanyahu's coalition, reacted to the prime minister's proposal Monday by calling him "spineless."

I think that information is wrong.  Netanyahu snubbed National Union to form an alliance with Labor.  I do not think National Union would form a coalition with Labor in it.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/news.aspx/139870

This article is written by MK Yaakov Katz, the chairman of National Union.

An excerpt:

" Netanyahu was an excellent speaker and good ambassador in the UN but as Prime Minister, he wants to be in Barak’s good graces. Netanyahu has charisma but lacks leadership abilities. Ehud Barak was able to control the state of Israel for some time with only 30 Knesset members supporting him. Netanyahu with 65 Knesset members does not feel safe.

If Netanyahu had force and ability, and if he remained true to his stated principles, he would stick to the truths that he has written and said his entire life: The Land of Israel is ours and we will continue to build in it. Only a decade ago, he failed to do so and fell under the same circumstances, but it seems he did not learn his lesson.

So far, ministers Yaalon, Erdan, and Kachlon do not get up and say: ‘We will lead the Likud; we will be an alternative to Netanyahu who collapsed all at once.’

Presumably as a result of the fact that, as we expected, there will not be a continuation of the building freeze, construction will increase and the Arabs have quit negotiations. There will be pressure on Barak from the rebels in his party to leave the coalition. MKs will not want another election and primaries. Netanyahu will have to return to the initial outline and have us join the coalition. But we will join Netanyahu’s coalition on our terms.

We can be viewed as a growing national and religious bloc, which will soon be seen as a viable government alternative to Netanyahu and to the pragmatist Lieberman, who continues to support Netanyahu’s weakness and failures."

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »
Ari Shayn,    what you mentioned about the National Union Party not being part of the ruling coalition is indeed the correct information.    A very reliable information source from Israel provided me the info this afternoon.      This is a reminder not to depend on the Los Angeles Times for accurate info.
You posted when I posted!  Cool, I am glad you got the info.  :)

[What a nakba it would be if National Union had joined a Labor coalition!]

Offline דוד בן זאב אריה

• Ultimate JTFer
  • Kahane Was Right
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 01:27:16 AM »

No the National Union and the Jewish Home party tried to merge but the Freeze issue stoped the prosses in their tracks
David Ben Ze'ev Aryeh