Author Topic: Hip-Hop Used to teach kids is teaching self-loathing  (Read 2083 times)

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
  • All souls praise Hashem, Hallelukah!
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
Hip-Hop Used to teach kids is teaching self-loathing
« on: October 06, 2010, 06:18:10 PM »
This story makes you wonder what they are teaching kids today. It seems they are teaching them how evil America is... This is Obamas America, the evilest place on earth...

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/10/06/oklahoma-school-district-postpones-teach-rap-program-refers-founding-fathers/

Oklahoma Postpones Teach-Through-Rap Program That Refers to Founding Fathers as 'Old Dead White Men'

The Oklahoma City public school district is taking a second look at a plan to teach at-risk students using rap and hip-hop after receiving complaints over one lesson referring to the founding fathers as "old dead white men."

The program, known as Flocabulary, is an educational tool that uses rap and hip-hop music to help students learn and memorize basic principles of vocabulary, reading, writing, social studies, math and science. The district was authorized to spend $97,000 in federal funds on the program and has already spent $10,000, NewsOK.com reported.

But lyrics in the U.S. history curriculum drew complaints from about 15 teachers, the site reported.

One particularly controversial song entitled "Old Dead White Men,"describes President James Monroe's presidential term by saying: "White men getting richer than Enron. They stepping on Indians, women and blacks. Era of Good Feeling doesn't come with the facts."

The song goes on to say:

"Andrew Jackson thinks he's a tough guy. Killing more Indians than there are stars in the sky. Evil wars of Florida killing the Seminoles. Saying hello, putting Creek in the hell holes. Like Adolf Hitler he had the final solution. 'No, Indians, I don't want you to live here anymore."

Flocabulary CEO and co-founder Alex Rappaport says that the lyrics are meant to keep students engaged and promote discussion. According to the Flocabulary website, its programs are being used in more than 10,000 schools nationwide and are "proven to increase student motivation."

“Without engagement and motivation it’s very difficult to learn, so our main purpose is to create materials that will motivate the students that are least likely to succeed with traditional methods,” Rappaport told FoxNews.com.

Ed Allen, president of the Oklahoma City American Federation, says in some cases those lyrics may do more harm than good.

"I just don't think we were real careful where we deployed it," Allen told NewsOK.com. "Not all parts of it are real affective for the more troubled youth."

Rappaport says Flocabulary isn’t meant to be offensive; it’s meant to get students thinking and initiate meaningful discussion.

"We have about 15 different programs, and on that U.S. history program we have about 12 songs and these are the lyrics that can be considered the most thought-provoking or provocative out of our whole body of work," Rappaport says.

"What I want is a student to hear a line about Andrew Jackson and be so engaged by the way we’re presenting Andrew Jackson that they go back, open the text book and read the entry about Andrew Jackson…and ask their teacher and have a discussion about Andrew Jackson," he added. "The songs are meant to be the beginning of the discussion, not the end."

Oklahoma City Public Schools Superintendent Karl Springer told NewsOK.com, "The science behind the concept is wonderful," but out of concern for some of lyrics, the district is holding off on the program until it's been evaluated.
You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities
Duet 16:13-14

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
  • Yemach Shmam to Egypt and Iran
Re: Hip-Hop Used to teach kids is teaching self-loathing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:00:09 PM »
depends on the lyrics

a good rap song can get stuck in your head for a week.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:38:35 PM »
depends on the lyrics

Same thing with Rock Music, Rap sucks... It is barely musical...

You shall make yourself the Festival of Sukkoth for seven days, when you gather in [the produce] from your threshing floor and your vat.And you shall rejoice in your Festival-you, and your son, and your daughter, and your manservant, and your maidservant, and the Levite, and the stranger, and the orphan, and the widow, who are within your cities

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:48:56 PM »
Rock can at least be classified as music. Rap is as you say, barely musical.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Gold Star JTF Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:52:17 PM »
"Oklahoma Postpones Teach-Through-Rap Program That Refers to Founding Fathers as 'Old Dead White Men'"

The first time I heard this phrase "old dead white men" was in my interview for college.   I was rather caught by surprise.   (In this context it was actually used to describe Roman and Greek philosophers and minds of the enlightenment period - They were asking if I considered that "stuff" to be just meaningless old dead white men, or if I felt it was worth studying or had wisdom in it worth exploring).  But where did they get this phrase from? Does the fact that they were white take away from what they have written and/or achieved?   Does the fact that they are dead take away from anything?  

Does the fact that they are both white and dead and at some point in their lives they were old, take away from anything they did?   This phrase is very destructive and seems to have been created by the feeble-minded.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »
In the 70s-80s they used Rock Music to teach...

I remember this video on TV in the 70s

Im just a Bill - Schoolhouse Rock!

Those were the Good Old Days... Real education, hope in the governmental system... What has happened to us?!?!

And here is : INTERJECTION!

Cool tune...

Conjuction Junction :
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:07:21 PM by muman613 »

Offline TheCoon

• Master JTFer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:17 PM »
The educational system was dumbed down to "uplift" idiotic minorities. Blacks/hispanics couldn't keep up with whites, asians, ,indians, Jews, etc and they dumbed it down for them. Now you literally can't fail a kid. Today blacks are still failing and they're still asking what can be done to help them compete.
The city isn't what it used to be. It all happened so fast. Everything went to crap. It's like... everyone's sense of morals just disappeared. Bad economy made things worse. Jobs started drying up, then the stores had to shut down. Then a black man was elected president. He was supposed to change things. He didn't. More and more people turned to crime and violence... The town becomes gripped with fear. Dark times, dark times... I am the hero this town needs. I am... The Coon!!!

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:05:32 PM »
depends on the lyrics

rap is ok, i use to like it a lot. now i am more into rock whenever i do listen to music.

depends on taste

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »
depends on the lyrics

rap is ok, i use to like it a lot. now i am more into rock whenever i do listen to music.

depends on taste

My friend KL, watch the youtube videos I posted... They may help your vocabulary and your writing skills {such as capitalization}... They don't have anything like this today... Back in the old days we actually learned how to write...

Schoolhouse Rock was the real deal...

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But if all you know is what they call rap today, that is a sorry state to be in. What they call music today is so lame. I will admit that there is some religious Jewish hip-hop that I like. But it is very rare... Most stuff is still pretty crappy...

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
Unspeakably horrible program.  What pathetic disgruntled people the founders of this malarkey appear to be.

If you are too stupid to get school w/o it being "dumbed down" into rap music you really just should be planning on raking leaves for someone else who owns a leaf raking business a living. -- Schools should be preparing lessor achievers for the careers their talents are realistically capable of landing them [what a cruel joke to suggest otherwise].
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:18:20 PM »
depends on the lyrics

depends on taste

My friend KL, watch the youtube videos I posted... They may help your vocabulary and your writing skills {such as capitalization}... They don't have anything like this today... Back in the old days we actually learned how to write...

Yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. But if all you know is what they call rap today, that is a sorry state to be in. What they call music today is so lame. I will admit that there is some religious Jewish hip-hop that I like. But it is very rare... Most stuff is still pretty crappy...

I remember how my History 11 teacher brought in a bunch of old Schoolhouse Rock videos in to get some songs about the US Constitution stuck in our heads, it actually happened a month ago. The Schoolhouse Rock videos were pretty good, even though I didn't grow up with them.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:21:10 PM »
depends on the lyrics

depends on taste

I remember how my History 11 teacher brought in a bunch of old Schoolhouse Rock videos in to get some songs about the US Constitution stuck in our heads, it actually happened a month ago. The Schoolhouse Rock videos were pretty good, even though I didn't grow up with them.

AWESOME!!! I am so happy that those videos are still benefiting the young people... I know that you learned a lot from them.

Offline Meerkat

• Master JTFer
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 10:25:42 PM »
depends on the lyrics

depends on taste

AWESOME!!! I am so happy that those videos are still benefiting the young people... I know that you learned a lot from them.

I already knew most of the information in those videos from The Internet, but the songs were still fun.

Offline Yaacov Ben Yehuda

• Senior JTFer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:41:10 PM »
how about some good ol' country tunes..lol

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 01:18:33 AM »

Maybe you think that way because you don't know much about it.
There's nothing wrong with enjoying modern powerful sound as long as you do not sing bad lyrics. Music is one of these areas where individual preferences should be respected.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 07:03:40 AM »
I think it's terrible that they are causing such hatred toward the country and its culture and heritage.

Offline stopimmigration

• New JTFer
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 02:40:05 PM »
Hip hop is not even music.It is just a bunch of people screaming with some nose in the background.

Offline Chaim Ben Pesach

• Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 02:58:07 PM »
Hip hop is not even music.It is just a bunch of people screaming with some nose in the background.

בס''ד

Talk about self-hatred: you are Ben Mizrachi, a 16 year old Israeli Jew from Bat Yam, who defends Hitler and the Nazis. You joined StørmFrønt and cursed G-d and Torah Judaism. You even said that you are really an "Aryan".

BTW, you are an honored member of Steven Weigang's German Nazi forum.

Offline muman613

• Platinum JTF Member
    • muman613 Torah Wisdom
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 04:37:21 PM »

Some nose in the background? Could it be Karl Malden?

Offline DMAN

• Junior JTFer
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:42 PM »
i atleast hope the class was only filled with blacks/hispanics. it would really be sad if a white kid got exposed to this "educational program."

Offline Secularbeliever

• Master JTFer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 05:04:25 PM »
"Oklahoma Postpones Teach-Through-Rap Program That Refers to Founding Fathers as 'Old Dead White Men'"

The first time I heard this phrase "old dead white men" was in my interview for college.   I was rather caught by surprise.   (In this context it was actually used to describe Roman and Greek philosophers and minds of the enlightenment period - They were asking if I considered that "stuff" to be just meaningless old dead white men, or if I felt it was worth studying or had wisdom in it worth exploring).  But where did they get this phrase from? Does the fact that they were white take away from what they have written and/or achieved?   Does the fact that they are dead take away from anything?  

Does the fact that they are both white and dead and at some point in their lives they were old, take away from anything they did?   This phrase is very destructive and seems to have been created by the feeble-minded.

I never understood deriding the founders of civilization for being dead.  Death is one thing we are all guaranteed in life.  Perhaps in the hood many will never become old but that is nothing to brag about.
We all need to pray for Barack Obama, may the Lord provide him a safe move back to Chicago in January 2,013.

Offline TruthSpreader

• Silver Star JTF Member
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WeThePeopleZeb
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 08:46:41 AM »
No wonder America is going down the drain.
Dan - Stay calm and be brave in order to judge correctly and make the right decision