Author Topic: Why was jtf.org updated on Shavuot?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline glassofwater

• New JTFer
Why was jtf.org updated on Shavuot?
« on: May 27, 2007, 09:30:00 AM »
I'm just wondering why JTF, an Orthodox Jewish organization, would update their website on Shavuot (and the site even states the date it was updated at the top of the page by saying that the site is for the week of May 23-29), one of the Yomim Tovim, when it is forbidden to use any electronic devices? Can someone please explain?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Re: Why was jtf.org updated on Shavuot?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:32:15 AM »
I thinkit's done automaticly
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

yisrael.chai

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »
i guarantee its not...

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
Exactly, I don't think Chaim would have allowed it if it wasn't done in accordance.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline cosmokramer

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »
Yeag dude, really who cares. A Gentile can do it. He has no restrictions like us Hebrew on the holidays.

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
I'm just wondering why JTF, an Orthodox Jewish organization, would update their website on Shavuot (and the site even states the date it was updated at the top of the page by saying that the site is for the week of May 23-29), one of the Yomim Tovim, when it is forbidden to use any electronic devices? Can someone please explain?

Why is this your only post? Are you a troll?

Offline glassofwater

• New JTFer
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 01:26:46 PM »
I dunno, even if the site was updated by a non-Jew, there's still a halachic problem. There's a principle called Ma'aseh Ma'arat Ayin, literally, "Deeds appearing to the eye". It's a Rabbinic prohibition against doing anything which appears sinful.

The idea is that if a person known to be an observant Jew did something that appears to be sinful, someone could see and think that either A) The deed is not a sin or B) This person is sinning. For example, if a Hasidic Rabbi was seen drinking a glass of milk with a hamburger, even though it was coconut milk, one would think that it's okay to drink milk with meat. In this case, since the text body of the web site mirrors Chaim's speeches, and the date of Shavuot appears right below the JTF logo, one would assume that Chaim updated the website himself. Whether or not these assumptions are skin deep, the fact that they can be drawn is problematic.

From where I'm standing, it looks like the prohibition of Ma'aseh Ma'arat Ayin was violated.

Offline TorahZionist

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 01:30:23 PM »
I suggest that you ask Chaim about this on Ask JTF: http://jtf.org/forum_english/index.php?topic=3609.0

ftf

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 01:43:17 PM »
If asked chaim will tell you that all the site updates are done by "the webmaster" who is not jewish, in fact no one on this forum knows anything about him, other than the facts that he isn't jewish, he does support JTF, and he wrote a few of the articles.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 02:03:46 PM »
Yea i know all about ma'arras ayin the  appearance that something non hallachic is going on.But you still are a troll did you ever post on Neturei karta's website and tell them to stop giving the appearance of a hechsher to the moslem nazi iranians and plo.And your a baal chutzpah and baal gayvah
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:05:45 PM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Nic Brookes

• Pro JTFer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 03:37:03 PM »
Trumpeldor, you are so right!

Offline Tzvi Ben Roshel1

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 06:13:36 PM »
Glassofwater is correct, even if some of you dont agree with that, the Halaha is Halaha and is above anyones opinion.
The Academy of Elijah taught, whoever studies the laws (of the Torah) every day, (he) is guaranteed to have a share in the World to Come.

‏119:139 צִמְּתַתְנִי קִנְאָתִי כִּישָׁכְחוּ דְבָרֶיךָ צָרָי
My zeal incenses me, for my adversaries have forgotten Your words.
‏119:141 צָעִיר אָנֹכִי וְנִבְזֶה פִּקֻּדֶיךָ, לֹא שָׁכָחְתִּי.
 I am young and despised; I have not forgotten Your precepts.

" A fool does not realize, and an unwise person does not understand this (i.e. the following:) When the wicked bloom like grass, and the evildoers blossom (i.e. when they seem extremly successful), it is to destroy them forever (i.e. they are rewarded for their few good deeds in this World, and they will have no portion in the World to Come!)

Please visit: (The Greatest lectures on Earth).
http://torahanytime.com/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Yossi_Mizrachi/
http://www.torahanytime.com/Rabbi/Zecharia_Wallerstein/

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 06:32:14 PM »
Yes but someone who's first post is about the site working on shavouth has an agenda

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 07:15:08 PM »
This shmuck came on here just to do this. Ban him. You would think someones first few posts would be about saving Israel or getting rid of Islam but no, he is asking why we update this on shvous. He is a piece of drek. Look at his thought process, we are trying to save Israel and he is worried why this website is updated on shvous. Chaim has said many times that the webmaster is not jewish so there is no violation of maris ayin. If this guy is worried about it then it's his problem. Besides, why houldn't the site be updated for all the gentiles that come on? Why is this guy so selfish. This is a guy that needs to be banned, not Chaimfan.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 07:18:32 PM »
Chaimfan is'nt banned he's back

Shot at 2010-01-03

ftf

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
Who said anything about banning Chaimfan?

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 07:20:16 PM »
down  withislam thought he was banned   
This is a guy that needs to be banned, not Chaimfan.

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline DownwithIslam

• Ultimate JTFer
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 07:51:30 PM »
I know Chaimfan is back but he was banned previously and all I was saying that if Chaimfan was banned than this guy should be as well. Constructive criticism is good but when someone comes on here for no purpose other than to cause us trouble than we need to remove him.
I am urinating on a Koran.

Offline Daniel

• Master JTFer
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 08:41:08 PM »
This shmuck came on here just to do this. Ban him. You would think someones first few posts would be about saving Israel or getting rid of Islam but no, he is asking why we update this on shvous. He is a piece of drek. Look at his thought process, we are trying to save Israel and he is worried why this website is updated on shvous. Chaim has said many times that the webmaster is not jewish so there is no violation of maris ayin. If this guy is worried about it then it's his problem. Besides, why houldn't the site be updated for all the gentiles that come on? Why is this guy so selfish. This is a guy that needs to be banned, not Chaimfan.

Hey, he just simply asked a question. Let's not jump to any false conclusions or make any false accusations. You can't judge someone by one post, or even more so, one question. You need to at least witness a pattern of behavior before developing an accurate judgment of someone. If he has a question, then let's simply answer him. But let's not make assumptions based on a question.