Author Topic: Has anyone in your family ever gotten Osteoporosis? My mom just got diagnosed.  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
  • "The Necromancers Could Not Stand Before Moses."
My mom sent me an email explaining she has moved from having osteopenia to osteoporosis [the former is similar to the latter but less severe].  I did not even know my mom had the osteopenia.  The change in condition occurred because of some other medicine one of her doctors prescribed her [thanks a lot to this "doctor dunce" of hers].

This being said...  I am curious if anyone else has had people in their family [or friends or acquaintances].  If so what things helped them? -- I've done some reading and there seem to be multiple ways to improve a person's health, or even reverse osteoporosis after it has manifested [sadly, "prevention is the best cure" is a phrase I have read too often now].  I've also read about diets which may be beneficial.  And my mom has always been a little bit on the clumsy side [her depth perception very low, but I have read certain glasses may help] and has always had a tendency to fall down more than most other people.  Now that she has this condition in which her bones will be weakening a fall can be even more debilitating, including a possibility of breaking her hip/pelvis [an injury which often curbs the length of one's life].  In my research I came across a page on Wikipedia listing called, "Fall prevention", chronicling different ways to exercise to increase the strength of certain muscles so a person is more balanced and able to correct posture more rapidly to prevent a fall [I also read Tai Chi helps].  I'm not sure what to think about any of this stuff.

We have a small family, and both my brother and I live far away, so I am trying to do whatever I can from afar for my mom because she is very down about this and I love my mom tremendously [I am moving back to NY in late January or early February as it already is so the move will be good so I can spend more time with my mom and dad, and now take care of my mom].

Thanks to anyone who has any knowledge to share.

Todah Rabbah
"You must keep the arab under your boot or he will be at your throat" -Unknown

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

“I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” -Psalms 120:7

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member
Don't they have medication for that ,i see that actress Sally Fields always doing advertisements for it
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:28:41 AM by mord »
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
Don't they have medication for that ,i see that actress Sally Fields always doing advertisements for it

Yes, I have looked into what that is [my roommate told me to look into that one].  It seems to be popular, but it has painful side effects from what I read, but it is one option [maybe a good one since it is widely known].  With multiple medications available I just wonder what actually works best, and for my mom to avoid side effects as much as possible.  One thing I read is that most people simply do not want to take their medicine and quit taking it within one year [why they do this I don't know, maybe there are unpleasant side effects to much of what is available?].

"When we tell the Arab, ‘Come, I want to help you and see to your needs,’ he doesn’t look at us like gentlemen. He sees weakness and then the wolf shows what he can do.” - Maimonides

"The difference between a Jewish liberal and a Jewish conservative is that when a Jewish liberal walks out of the Holocaust Museum, he feels, "This shows why we need to have more tolerance and multiculturalism." The Jewish conservative feels, "We should have killed a lot more Nazis, and sooner."" - Philip Klein

Offline mord

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum JTF Member

Yes, I have looked into what that is [my roommate told me to look into that one].  It seems to be popular, but it has painful side effects from what I read, but it is one option [maybe a good one since it is widely known].  With multiple medications available I just wonder what actually works best, and for my mom to avoid side effects as much as possible.  One thing I read is that most people simply do not want to take their medicine and quit taking it within one year [why they do this I don't know, maybe there are unpleasant side effects to much of what is available?].
Maybe vitamin D
Thy destroyers and they that make thee waste shall go forth of thee.  Isaiah 49:17

Shot at 2010-01-03

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Extreme MAGA Republican
I'm sad that she's having to go through this situation. I hope her bones get stronger. I don't completely trust doctors because of things like this and other stories I've heard. However it's really hard to do without them too, so I would suggest getting more than one opinion before she decides on a treatment.

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
My mother has it, and she weighs about 89 lbs.  I don't know what medicine she takes for it, but I can find out. 

Does your mother do any kind of exercise?  If not, I recommend she slowly start with light weights.  Also, does she take a calcium supplement?  I understand calcium is best absorbed when taken in tandem with magnesium. 

Also, she should cut back on caffeine and alcohol, as it can leach the calcium out of the bones. 

Offline Yaakov Mendel

• Honorable Winged Member
  • Master JTFer

I am sorry to hear this. I unfortunately have nothing to share with you that might be useful. It must not be easy if you live far from her.

Offline TheViper

• Senior JTFer
  • HOLA MI GENTE!
☞I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice☜

Offline TheViper

• Senior JTFer
  • HOLA MI GENTE!

Boniva is what she promotes on TV
☞I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do best isn't very nice☜

Offline Kahane-Was-Right BT

• Gold Star JTF Member
Sorry to hear that, Ari.     I saw on the news last night a brand new medicine is coming out that looks pretty promising for rebuilding bone.  It's PTHRP (parathyroid hormone related protein)  - but it sounded like it's still in the initial stages.   They said it has the potential to build up bone density in 9 months.   

Btw, what's the canaan in your name ?

Offline Lisa

• Forum Administrator
  • Silver Star JTF Member
    • The Urban Grind
Sorry to hear that, Ari.     I saw on the news last night a brand new medicine is coming out that looks pretty promising for rebuilding bone.  It's PTHRP (parathyroid hormone related protein)  - but it sounded like it's still in the initial stages.   They said it has the potential to build up bone density in 9 months.   

Btw, what's the canaan in your name ?

Ari Ben Canaan was the name of the main Israeli Jewish character in Leon Uris' book Exodus.

Offline Zionist Revolutionary

• Pro JTFer
Ari Ben-Canaan, I am so sorry that your mother has this terrible disease. I sincerely hope that your mother will recover from this, and I will pray for her.

Offline Lewinsky Stinks, Dr. Brennan Rocks

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • Real Kahanist
Ari, your mother needs something that will boost her female hormones a lot, and Fossamax.

• Gold Star JTF Member
The doctors can prescribe her something but you have to be careful because for some women 'boniva' does the exact opposite of what it's supposed to do and makes the condition worse rather than better.  So whatever she is given they have to stay on top of it checking often to make sure it's working.

Offline cjd

• Silver Star JTF Member
Re: Has anyone in your family ever gotten Osteoporosis? My mom just got diagnos
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »
There are a few meds on the market that claim to stop bone loss and one or two that even make claims of reversing the loss... My mom was taking something a while back in injection form that was causing more harm than good.... The bone medication had gone through extensive testing with good results however the medication came in some sort of syringe that held the dosages for the entire month.. From what I remember the trials for the medication did not use this monthly use injector and there was another medication needed to make the injector work... What ever this other substance was it was causing problems for my mom at the injection sites and she had to discontinue using it... The medication was also quite  expensive  . Research whatever the doctors suggest using for side affects... G-d willing your mom will find something that can help her.
He who overlooks one crime invites the commission of another.        Syrus.

A light on to the nations for 60 years

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
Apparently some people have had some very bad experiences with Boniva:
http://www.topix.com/forum/who/sally-field/TJKAH6274R3RO3U92

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm229009.htm
"Atypical subtrochanteric femur fractures are fractures in the bone just below the hip joint. Diaphyseal femur fractures occur in the long part of the thigh bone. These fractures are very uncommon and appear to account for less than 1% of all hip and femur fractures overall. Although it is not clear if bisphosphonates are the cause, these unusual femur fractures have been predominantly reported in patients taking bisphosphonates.

The bisphosphonates affected by this notice are only those approved to treat osteoporosis, including Fosamax, Fosamax Plus D, Actonel, Actonel with Calcium, Boniva, Atelvia, and Reclast (and their generic products)."
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 07:28:41 PM by Rubystars »

Offline JTFenthusiast2

• Ultimate JTFer
Ari, your mother needs something that will boost her female hormones a lot, and Fossamax.

They no longer give estrogen to stave off osteoporosis.  Calcium 1500 mg/day; vitamin D 400-800 units and a drug like fosamax.  Check with your doctor first.  Certain drugs for GERD like omeprazole block calcium and vitamin D absorption... They can facilitate bone lossinadvertently

Offline Ari Ben-Canaan

• Master JTFer
Thank you so much everyone.  I really appreciate what everyone here has said [they are all valuable input].  I will take in all of these things into consideration, and I will also actually forward the link to this thread to my mom so she can see exactly what is said here that she should consider [she happens to be a Kahanist in a lot of ways so it will be neat if she checks the rest of the site out too].  Thanks so much again everyone, it makes me feel better to hear from all of you.

RE: "Ben-Canaan", yes its from the Ari in Exodus [Its still me Ari Shayn!  My mom's favorite actor is Paul Newman and he played Ari Ben-Canaan in the movie version of Exodus, I happened to be thinking of her at the time when I decided a moniker switch-up].

• Gold Star JTF Member
Apparently some people have had some very bad experiences with Boniva:
http://www.topix.com/forum/who/sally-field/TJKAH6274R3RO3U92

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm229009.htm
"Atypical subtrochanteric femur fractures are fractures in the bone just below the hip joint. Diaphyseal femur fractures occur in the long part of the thigh bone. These fractures are very uncommon and appear to account for less than 1% of all hip and femur fractures overall. Although it is not clear if bisphosphonates are the cause, these unusual femur fractures have been predominantly reported in patients taking bisphosphonates.

The bisphosphonates affected by this notice are only those approved to treat osteoporosis, including Fosamax, Fosamax Plus D, Actonel, Actonel with Calcium, Boniva, Atelvia, and Reclast (and their generic products)."

I heard it was something like 10% of the people who take this type of medication.   Not sure how accurate that # is, but "I heard that" for whatever it's worth.

Offline Rubystars

• Gold Star JTF Member
10% is still a pretty bad risk. If someone told me that there was a 1 in 10 chance of getting severe bone pain or fractures from taking a pill I'd probably pass on it and try to find another way to go. Of course osteoporosis can cause those things too. It seems like most of the medicines have such severe side effects.

Offline angryChineseKahanist

• Gold Star JTF Member
  • ☭=卐=☮
I don't know if this is related, but my mother keeps getting smaller every year. its bone loss. I think its what she eats. She keeps drinking that bitter herbal stuff that dissolves all her calcium. quite possible that she doesn't have any bone problems at all and that its self inflicted.

U+262d=U+5350=U+9774

Offline FreedomDefender

• JTFer in Exile
  • Senior JTFer
  • Hello kids. Say no to 3rd reich
At least no one cursed your mom in spanish. Because of the language barrier

• Gold Star JTF Member
10% is still a pretty bad risk. If someone told me that there was a 1 in 10 chance of getting severe bone pain or fractures from taking a pill I'd probably pass on it and try to find another way to go. Of course osteoporosis can cause those things too. It seems like most of the medicines have such severe side effects.
[/quote

Yes 10% is enormous.